Someone explain the appeal of 2D Sonic games

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, that's what I thought. The sonic MEGA collection has the genesis music. :P

Sonic & Knuckles collection was the one YOU DON'T WANT cause of that music. Though I never heard it until I played a romhack. Doesn't sound bad though, but I do like the original better. :)

Sonic & Knuckles Collection is a great version. If you don't like the midi soundtrack then just get the SMPSPlay mod to get back the original genesis music (SMPS is the sound driver that Sonic 1-3D use) in fact SMPSplay let's you customize it to use any songs from Sonic 1 through Sonic 3D as well as Genesis versions of the PC tracks. Also liking the PC music is subjective, I personally prefer Carnival Night and Ice cap more in the PC version.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic & Knuckles Collection is a great version. If you don't like the midi soundtrack then just get the SMPSPlay mod to get back the original genesis music (SMPS is the sound driver that Sonic 1-3D use) in fact SMPSplay let's you customize it to use any songs from Sonic 1 through Sonic 3D as well as Genesis versions of the PC tracks. Also liking the PC music is subjective, I personally prefer Carnival Night and Ice cap more in the PC version.
I don't think the music is bad in the pc version, like i said I heard it and find it okay. But the idea was to give him the same experience that was on the genesis. I wasn't trying to say anything of disrespect to the game as I never played it. If is a good collection, that is good, and while the music is subjective, the goal wasn't to discourage playing it cause of the music alteration, but to give the same experience as the original.

But I'm sure is a good collection and plays fine. :)

HaloEliteLegend

Zzzz
OP
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
How you get it so fast, amazon? O_O
No, the ISO was the third thing that came up on Google :P
Though I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind having a physical copy to put on my shelf if I really end up liking these old games. Thankfully the price is very good from resellers.
But now I'm worried how well it will run on Windows 10. Well, there's always a fix, I say.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the ISO was the third thing that came up on Google :P
Though I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind having a physical copy to put on my shelf if I really end up liking these old games. Thankfully the price is very good from resellers.
But now I'm worried how well it will run on Windows 10. Well, there's always a fix, I say.
Umm well the game isn't expensive, you could get a console port of gamecube, xbox or ps2 for cheap I would assume. You might want to look for a video of the game running on windows 10 if you worried of compatibility issues,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol, sonic mega collection is listed below and cheaper. :P

Not saying that the collection is bad, just for a closer genesis experience the mega collection is more accurate. I'm sure that collection is good and functional. Though now I worry, what are the chances it will work on modern OS?
I bought both and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought both and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail.
Oh, nice. Let me know how each of them is, I hope that is as good as it is on xbox and gamecube. I never played the one from 1995, so I dunno anything about it beside the changed music in sonic 3, is not bad at all. I always thought that the collection was based on the sonic games in sonic jam on saturn. (I bet many people forgot about that one.) :)

Since @Chary mentioned it already, should just post it here for her :)

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend

Zzzz
OP
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Umm well the game isn't expensive, you could get a console port of gamecube, xbox or ps2 for cheap I would assume. You might want to look for a video of the game running on windows 10 if you worried of compatibility issues,
Hmm don't have a GC, XB, or PS2, but Sonic Mega Collection is backwards compatible on Xbox 360. Sells for less than $2 too! I'll try it on Win10 once it's done downloading. The Xbox option seems the best.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I've never played a 2D Sonic game, and from the gameplay I've seen on YouTube, I still don't know why they're great. With Sonic Mania coming up, perhaps I should give it a shot. So help me out here. What made the old Sonic games great?
By the same token, can someone explain the appeal of 2D Mario games?
thinking.png

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They are largely overrated by blind fans, especially Sonic 2, which is a bad game in many ways. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is way better tho. Also, if you have a wireless controller, you might want to play the iOS/Android ports of Sonic 1, 2 and CD since they are far superior.
Here are videos you might want to watch:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, apparently the blind hate of 3D Sonic also hit GBATemp. Apparently the majority of good 3D Sonic games didn't chaénge that (I refer to Unleashed, Colors, Generations, and also Lost World).

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Well for me 2D sonic games were a big part of my early childhood so i grew up with them and thus they hold a lot of nostalgia for me. So essentially some people like them because of nostalgia since these games are pretty darn awesome. You have to understand that when these games were released there was nothing like them at the time and even if there was something like them. The sonic games still had that uniqueness to them that you just dont see in every single game these days. From the level design to the characters to the music (OMG the music it was just so epic.). So yes i highly recomend you pick them up.

I also recommend the Streets of Rage trilogy and Robocop Vs the terminator game all 4 of which alongside the Sonic games can be played on any Sega genesis emulator.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you have the ask the question, then the game probably isn't for you. I don't mean that to sound dismissive, it's just that the whole point of the game is to appeal to people's nostalgia. If you have no nostalgia for old Sonic, then it may not appeal.

My avatar should indicate that I do love old Sonic, but objectively the series is weaker than the Mario games. They just hold a special place for us.

I'm actually really confused as to why people are bringing up exploration for one the most linear 2d side scrollers. Can someone explain?
It would argue that Sonic 3 and Knuckles is less linear that most 2D Mario games. Not meant as a criticism, but Mario games go from left to right much more than most Sonic games.

Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

Raverrevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know you're old when the first post is someone asking what the deal is with 2D Sonic games. *facepalm* 2D Sonic games are what made Sonic popular. They are some of the most fun side scrolling platform games ever. Ever since Sonic games were made in 3D they lost all their charm from that point out. Sure I'll even admit I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, but it was like apples & oranges in comparison to the older 2D games. They were essentially the essence of Sega's peak.

I have no clue what on earth the appeal is for the newer 3D sonic games. They look like an abomination of the series. All these new deformed looking characters, autopilot type game mechanics, crappy music. Blasphemy!

I have been looking forward to Sonic Mania for quite some time now.

RustInPeace: "Sonic Mania's first trailer almost made me cry, I was hit with nostalgia so hard, so this particular game means the most to me in 2017, no other new game has gotten that kind of emotional response this year. Hyped? That's an understatement."

I'm in the same exact boat with that statement!!

Last edited by Raverrevolution,
Reactions: DaMan and zfreeman

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I used to play a sonic game on the gamegear. And i really liked it at the time (even though i never beat it because the batteries ran out before i could finish). But i've tried more modern 2D sonic games and i can't stand them either. Even tried the old one on an emulator and i just don't see why i ever liked that game. It just feels completely wrong. Maybe it's cause i'm too used to mario by now.

Reactions: whateverg1012

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If you have the ask the question, then the game probably isn't for you. I don't mean that to sound dismissive, it's just that the whole point of the game is to appeal to people's nostalgia. If you have no nostalgia for old Sonic, then it may not appeal.

My avatar should indicate that I do love old Sonic, but objectively the series is weaker than the Mario games. They just hold a special place for us.

It would argue that Sonic 3 and Knuckles is less linear that most 2D Mario games. Not meant as a criticism, but Mario games go from left to right much more than most Sonic games.
I mean, there's no level skipping shortcuts. Secret levels... Secret bosses.. I haven't played a sonic game that isn't get from a to b.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sonic has never had the depth of Mario in gameplay terms. If you were to ask me what the best 2D platformer is, my heart would say Sonic 3 & Knuckles but my brain would say Mario World.

I'd say the stages were captivating as a child. They were so much larger than Mario stages yet so varied with a desire to explore every nook and cranny. As a kid, I could draw a map of every Sonic stage on the back of a napkin because I'd explored them so much. I couldn't do that with any Sonic Advance or Rush game because they were literally 'let's just run as fast as we can and ignore the stages'.

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: Kioku

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It might be a good idea to just skip the first game. I've never played Sonic 2 and 3, maybe because trying to play the first game just completely put me off it. Specifically, Green Hill Zone is nice and fun, but Marble Zone is straight up boring and some of the least fun I've had in a platformer.

Reactions: lampdemon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended