Hardware Some Wii U concerns, need your opinions and answers

beta4attack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I pre-ordered my Wii U last week (in the Wii U) but today I have been reading some chaotic problems occurring to many people from the Wii U not reading discs, bricking from update, pixels missing, something like a scratch on the screen, freezing to not giving a signal to the TV. I am actually very very worried now after what I read so I wanted to ask if any of you had these problems. Also, do you think these problems would be fixed by the UK launch? (In other words, do these sort of problems get fixed in a week or two even if they already manufactured the system?).
Currently, I can just go and cancel my pre-order while I still have the chance, should I do that?

Sorry for all those stupid questions, I am just a big worrywart, I know. So, please, bear with me.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played with my Wii U all day without a single issue, this is a complicated machine so some defects will happen but the ones that are happening are being sensationalized.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have no sound through HDMI cable. i tried every single port on my tv, tried it on a second tv. tried connecting to my receiver, to a fox in a box and nothing. i am confined to components with which the image is not as sharp

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
more problems on the wii u, ongoing discussion:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64674118

i have no sound through HDMI cable. i tried every single port on my tv, tried it on a second tv. tried connecting to my receiver, to a fox in a box and nothing. i am confined to components with which the image is not as sharp
seems to be a annoying problem, someone on here also had this problem too.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
There is no "5GB" patch. That 5GB is what was already pre-allocated to the system, which consists of system files and available space for any patch, because I doubt Nintendo would try allocating space after the fact if people happened to fully use up the internal memory before downloading any future patches.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's been a lot of FUD floating around on the internet, but it is just that: FUD. Issues pop up in a console launch; they always do. But they are very few and far between. In the age of the internet, if 10 people out of 1 million have a problem, you'll hear about it like its affecting everybody.

Taint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's been a lot of FUD floating around on the internet, but it is just that: FUD. Issues pop up in a console launch; they always do. But they are very few and far between. In the age of the internet, if 10 people out of 1 million have a problem, you'll hear about it like its affecting everybody.

Exactly. And not to mention there could be people just posting made up crap on various forums just to troll people.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most of the stuff on that neogaf are easy to fix with patches witch Nintendo already says is working on some of the other thing are users been dumb like that wifi thing

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I assume turning off the gamepad is not that bad as long as you don't turn off the WiiU itself?
Probably true, at least in my experience.

During the installation part of the update, my Gamepad lost signal with the system. It said, "Gamepad failed to update"' then it just turned off. I was worried tbh, but I was able to restart the gamepad and it just resumed the final 20% of the overall installation update.

Somebody with a little less common sense might have panicked and shut off the system, producing a brick. Fortunately, I learn from the mistakes of others. :P

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Its a 1GB compressed download that expands to take up about 5 GBs of reserved space on the WiiUs on-board memory.
It's not compressed, it's only IOS, channels and files which are downloaded and installed/replaced, like for the Wii. It's not a big zip file, but multiple files downloaded one by one, uncompressed.
5GB is certainly pre-allocated for (future) firmware updates, it doesn't mean the files are expanded to 5GB after the download.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you arent dumb , nothing will happen, just make sure to not turn off the gamepad during the update
The thing is, I tried turning off the console. Held the button in, pushed it, held it in on the GamePad, nothing would turn it off. I wasn't going to unplug the console, because that's a great way to surge your electronics. But anyways, yeah, the only people who are ending up with bricked consoles are the ones who are dumb with electronics and shouldn't have them in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte