ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought a secondhand PS3 with Rogero 4.55 CFW, and it's arriving any day now. Before I hook it up, some questions.

1) Going online safely. I read that the best thing to do is to only sign into PSN ingame, don't play any CoD and use the PSN-tool. Is this the way to go, or am I missing something?
2) Is there anything else really stupid I shouldn't be doing, eg installing certain patches and stuff?
3) Is it possible to change the hdd of a CFW-machine without having to re-flash? Or is it possible to use a 64gb pendrive and just play backups from there?
4) I still have two Xbox 360 controllers (wireless and wired) lying around. Is there any way of using them on the PS3 without an adaptor?

Thanks. :-)

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much do a LOT of reading on some PS3 specific related web pages. I would post some links but I am not sure I can?

Just google for PS3 Hax and you should be gold, read up all the pages and make sure your informed.

Another thing to note is that the console may already be banned. If it is you can get around it by changing the ID or something.

Getting your PSN account banned is different than a console ban, no way to fix your account getting nuked.

All that being said, I wouldn't go online with that PS3 to be honest. I have mine all hacked and I enjoy it but since I don't go online mine has never been banned... lol woot?

Edit: What I mean by no way around your PSN account getting banned is that if you buy PSN content and your PSN account gets banned, that stuff is gone. You can make a different PSN account though at least until your machine gets banned. Then you have to do a lot of stuff to get back into PSN. Like getting a different valid non banned console ID. I think you can randomly generate those but.... lets say the random console ID is the same as the one I have and you get it banned... Now my console also needs a new ID. This could happen to anyone's machine or even a new machine from the store.

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, trying to figure out the risk vs reward.

Not going online is an idea to contemplate. It's mainly for the singleplayer-stuff anyway. Online would be nice, but I could live without as I have legit consoles which still do that.

Without going online, what exactly am I missing out of? And would it still be possible to hook it up to the router and enjoy all the LAN-side of things (mostly ftp, hooking it up with a PSP/Vita) without ever signing into PSN?

And what exactly are the consequences of a possible ban? Does it only block online gaming, or also block local features (like the 360 does)?

D

Deleted User

I'll keep it short.

1) Going online safely. I read that the best thing to do is to only sign into PSN ingame, don't play any CoD and use the PSN-tool. Is this the way to go, or am I missing something?

There's always a risk no matter what you do. You lessen the chances by not signing into PSN with all the CFW stuff activated. PSN tool can help a bit. Cobra FW are even better due to how they can hide. Basically, if you're going to go online, assume you're going to get banned. If you have any purchased PSN content you care about, then just don't. You'll lose everything if the account is nuked.

2) Is there anything else really stupid I shouldn't be doing, eg installing certain patches and stuff?

Game patches are fine. Don't install what you don't understand. Don't mess with any plugins you don't know about. Don't screw with the flash. Don't randomly start installing CFW without QA flagging first. I guess an important one is if you do actually plan on installing a different CFW, don't leave a disc in the drive or mounted ISO - it will use those first and you'll get a nice rude awakening when it reboots.

3) Is it possible to change the hdd of a CFW-machine without having to re-flash? Or is it possible to use a 64gb pendrive and just play backups from there?

You don't FLASH the firmware per se, but if you replace the HDD, the PS3 will format the new disk and ask you to put the firmware on a stick to reinstall. In that sense you will need to reflash the FW. But not with a E3 or anything. You can use external USB formatted as fat32 to store and run games from - however the PS3 still installs game data to the internal drive. Some launchers and COBRA firmware support ISO & NTFS.

4) I still have two Xbox 360 controllers (wireless and wired) lying around. Is there any way of using them on the PS3 without an adaptor?

No. They are RF controllers of which the PS3 has no receiver. Adapter is required even for USB. The cost of the adapter is almost as much as the controller though. So up to you.

Without going online, what exactly am I missing out of? And would it still be possible to hook it up to the router and enjoy all the LAN-side of things (mostly ftp, hooking it up with a PSP/Vita) without ever signing into PSN?

Playing on-line... and that's about it. You could miss out on DLC - but meh, why buy if you have a chance to get banned and lose it all. Yes, you can download game updates, FTP, and browse the web without ever signing into PSN.

And what exactly are the consequences of a possible ban? Does it only block online gaming, or also block local features (like the 360 does)?​
The latter. There's console bans and account bans. Console bans are console only, allowing you to spoof IDPS and CID and possibly get back online, however everything won't work. Account bans are complete closure. You cannot go online with that account and all purchases are lost. You could still technically get updates by downloading them through programs, but not through the game itself. Unless you desperately want to play on-line, there's no reason to connect it to PSN ever. Cheating or modding any game will end up with you banned anyway no matter how well you try to hide it.

JPnintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I bought a secondhand PS3 with Rogero 4.55 CFW, and it's arriving any day now. Before I hook it up, some questions.

Thanks. :-)
1) Yes. A friend and I both have 4.55 and we use SEN enabler to spoof to 4.46 and desactivate the cwf syscalls to difficult PSN to bann you.
2) Never update to a new cfw unless it is well tested, and checo allways de MD5.
3) You can change the hdd, your cfw state will still remain.
4) No.

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, thanks for the answers! Really helps me to make an informed descision - not using PSN being one of them.

About the replacement of the HDD. So it's basically something like this?

- Unplug USB, remove disc, disconnect power
- Replace HDD
- Put Rogero_CEX4.55_V1.00b.PUP on flashdrive, insert, boot PS3
- Push some buttons and drink coffee
- Done

D

Deleted User

Pretty much. It'll boot in a recovery mode and format the HDD, you need to most likely connect the controller with a USB cable

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: