Soma Bringer Open Translation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by DarthNemesis, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Dann Woolf

Dann Woolf Deadpan Snarker

Oct 12, 2010
    Netherlands
    Deventer
    This part wouldn't be very hard, I think. You could just use rooms that are already in the game as a base.

Of course, I'm no romhackologist so I could be wrong.

2. Demoliton

Demoliton Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2011
    i have a litte knowledge in rom hacking but i dont know where to start in doing it.
    I just need someone to help me.
    [​IMG]

3. Demoliton

Demoliton Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2011
    Hmmm. You might be right but somehow it could change some scenario in the game.
    [​IMG]

4. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States

try to avoid double posting. you can edit your previous post to add anything new.

5. Demoliton

Demoliton Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2011
    Sorry, my bad
    [​IMG]

6. rastsan

rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard,

May 28, 2008
    Canada
    toronto
    what you are asking is along the lines of a major hack. as that stuff doesn't already exist in the game.
    oy... not as simple as just reusing rooms...

7. defunct32

defunct32 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    Senegal
    Asia
    Awesome, are there any chances that every thing will be translated? >.

8. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    Most likely not. The last edit to the first post was made in 2009, which is likely the last time any work was done on the project. Considering almost three years have passed since the last work was done, I doubt DarthNemesis is gonna go back to it. If somebody interested in the tiny amount of translating actually left to be done could manage to convince Darth to give them the files and the tools, somebody else could conceivably finish where he left off. Darth probably decided that the encyclopedia (the one part of the game left untranslated, IIRC) was too much work, either because something in the way it is coded makes it a much bigger hacking project than the actual game text, or because there are translation guides on the Internet that can tell you what the stuff in there says, and the encyclopedia itself isn't a major part of the game.

9. DarthNemesis
    OP

DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    No, I just got distracted with other games/projects and haven't gotten around to finishing the glossary. I still plan on doing it, but everything else in the game is fully translated, so it hasn't been a priority.

1 person likes this.
  10. defunct32

Feb 5, 2012
    Senegal
    Asia
    That's amaazzzzzzingggg!!

I just love my games to be fully translated but whatever work that you've done is massively impressive and I thank you from the bottom of my heart that you've done us this huge favor in allowing us to play this gem! ; ) I'm happy that I'm able to play is all but if there's a possibility of a 100% complete English translation for every thing; that would also be very much appreciated! ;)

Thanks for the reply Darth!

11. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    Well, then, I stand corrected. If I may ask without being rude, though, what are you currently working on that takes priority? Or is it just real life?

12. DarthNemesis
    OP

Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    Well, I was away from the scene for a good year and a half due to MMORPGs real life, but recently I've written 2 inserters and I'm working on a 3rd. One's an updated version of SagaTrans for the SaGa 3 project, and the other two are for a team that doesn't want to announce projects until they have a patch ready.

I'll try and get back to this once I have some downtime, but it's not quite as simple as just translating the remaining lines - the entries need to be rearranged between files to be in alphabetical order in English, and I have to make sure they still get updated at the correct point in the story.

13. defunct32

Feb 5, 2012
    Senegal
    Asia
    No worries, just take as much time as you will need. I rather wait a long time for a full finished, bug and problem free product than a rushed one; choked full w/ issues. It's just for the sake of completion that I (at least for me) want it to be complete so it looks beautiful and professional >.< also, why does the icon shows a DS and the file name is "DS Program File" on my Acekard 2i flascard? Any ideas how do we edit that?

14. DarthNemesis
    OP

Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    There's a bad checksum in the header I think. Most cards will read it just fine, but a few of them use strict processing rules and don't recognize it as a valid game. You can fix it by opening the patched game with a header editor such as RomeR and re-saving it.

15. defunct32

Feb 5, 2012
    Senegal
    Asia
    It plays fine though so I don't really care I will probably try w/ another ROM if I have the time ; )

16. jimmyemunoz

jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    I didn't even know RomeR was capable of that til you mentioned it. Thank you for the info. :)

17. defunct32

Feb 5, 2012
    Senegal
    Asia
    Ok I was bored and I used RomeR as you recommended and what do you know? It works xD you're amazzzzzzzzzzing! Thank you. +1 to you.

18. Bowser-jr

Bowser-jr GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    Nice patch; but I notice it's only 97 percent finished. Will this game be 100 percent anytime soon?

19. Fyrus

Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

Jul 6, 2010
    France
    Marseille - France
    The 3% that are not translated are barely signifiant to the storyline, and it has stayed that way for years now.

20. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    Specifically, the only text that isn't translated is the encyclopedia; it works a bit like Golden Sun: Dark Dawn's Compendium, in that it provides a bit of background on the people and places in the game. It isn't necessary to complete the game, or even to understand the plot.

If you had bothered to read the last few posts, you'd know that, because it's what practically every post in the thread is about. In fact, DarthNemesis (the translator who made the patch) posted only a few posts above yours about how he plans to come back and finish this eventually, but other projects have gotten in the way.