Sold my PS4 Pro.Should i get Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Zeldalife89, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Zeldalife89
    OP

Zeldalife89 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    I got a question with the switch do i need to drain the battery once in a while like play handheld till Its almost dead?
    Every So often or is using it docked all the time fine as well? I Will use handheld but prob way more docked and im not sure if thats healthy because it keeps charging that way then..
    I know wth phones Its not healthy to keep it on the charger 24/7 almost
    But i also dont leave my house enough to bring the switch unless i want to play in a diff room itll be docked..
    Zelda looks rly good tho

2. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Selling a console that has a pretty large library of games and 4k support for a switch is just too early.
    The Switch isn't a bad choice since it get PS4/PC ports + Exclusives, but still too early for a trade off imo
    Going PC can last your gaming needs for as long as you let it, but gonna need to feed it money to play the current modern games for better performances

Last edited by MasterJ360, Nov 17, 2017 - Reason: My inner thoughts is all.
  3. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    That debatably; is up to you.

4. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    To be fair, no system/platform is free from toxicity. The best part about the PC and PC gaming is that it is what you make of it. With limitless free mods, Steam/GOG sales, customization options, etc. The only positives consoles hold over PC are simplicity and price of (weaker) hardware. They are, objectively speaking, in all other ways inferior to PC as gaming platforms.

Switch is different of course, and as usual Nintendo is one step ahead of the console collapse with a hybrid. Another way MS and Sony could adapt IMO is with an easy-to-use modular console design. Instead, they went the direction of getting halfway to 4K gaming with Pro and XB1X.

Memoir likes this.
  5. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Its just annoying "pirate your games" shouldn't ever be used as an argument for a platform.

Xzi likes this.
  6. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah, and don't get me wrong, I am fine with piracy of certain games, anything from EA in particular, but people should support the developers/publishers who make quality games without terrible monetization issues.

Last edited by Xzi, Nov 18, 2017
  7. katsup

katsup Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    To be honest, you tried the PS4 Pro and did not like it, not sure what is so complicated. The PS4 is not going extinct and you can always buy it again if you change your mind.

The biggest reason I see in this thread is people saying lack of games on the Switch. This is not the case for me as I already have developed a hefty backlog and don't play half the AAA titles on it. There is a lack of variety, such as no rhythm game someone mentioned, but I am OK with that.

Edit: Thinking back, I did have a hard time selling off my PS3 and only keeping the WiiU/3DS. The PS3 sat hooked up for a number of months unplayed as I always thought "what if". However, after I finally sold it, I didn't look back.

Last edited by katsup, Nov 18, 2017
  8. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    OP could just buy a $1 yoyo and save the other $399.

Either way, he's very up-and-down.

Is this like those 24k gold fidget spinners on eBay? OP, go buy a solid gold fidget spinner. Make sure it's one of those crappy electric Chinese ones so that it catches fire and burns down your house.

Last edited by TCJJ, Nov 18, 2017
  9. Zeldalife89
    OP

Zeldalife89 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    This generation you are Just going Nintendo?
    That was kinda my intent when i sold my pro i did like my pro Its nor like i didnt like it but i just like Nintendo franchises way more Its like i get nostalgia for it something when i was a kid i always had Nintendo consoles or handhelds all tho i skipped alot of Nintendo consoles too like the Wiiu but now im back ..
    The only Reason that it makes me feel some what regret is people keep saying i sold better hardware for worden hardware but is that rly the case not rly i mean the switch is newer So it cant have worse hardware maybe less powerful but for consoles is not rly about power most consoles are and were 30fps anyways

Im a gamer i used to have just a pro but now just a switch sometimes i wonder if i made the right choice but i always think of the hardware then and not the software and i shouldnt do that lol..

But on Sony side it has no exclussives that makes me want to buy it No third party support is great on switch..
    I got a question tho is using the switch docked alot fine tho? Itll keep charging that way not sure if thats healthy do you know?

10. katsup

katsup Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Yes. I had a 360, then a PS3 last generation, but sold them before the current generation was out. I do not play a whole lot anymore and when I do I prefer to play games I enjoy, in my case, Nintendo only makes sense. You can always buy another later should you decide Switch only is not for you. My co-workers with XBone and PS4 think I am crazy, but I don't feel the need to buy what they buy.

Just use the Switch how you want. In my case, I usually replace consoles when the next generation gets released, so I am not worried about long term battery issues. In the slight chance I do have battery issues in the next ~5 years, I'll send it to Nintendo to replace it or replace it myself. I am a computer tech so this kind of stuff is easy for me.

11. zeveroth

zeveroth Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2009
    United States
    Closest I seen is $499 I think.
    Duncan Freehand Mg Yoyo

Attached Files:

12. param0

param0 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    United States
    If you like Mario, Zelda, Metroid and other Nintendo characters, go for the switch.

Last edited by param0, Nov 25, 2017
  13. Trash_McPhail

Trash_McPhail Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    CoD campaign is always good fun, imo.

14. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    And always the same. :)

15. loveShmups

loveShmups Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2017
    France
    west coast of Europe !
    I have a PS4 pro , a switch and a VERY powerful PC.
    Don't waste your time on switch ! I have now 6 games and frankly.... it's really awful to play switch on the big screen !

Xenoblade 2 is not really nice (it's an AAA game for the switch, but sadly...).
    Invest into a nice graphical card is maybe a good move.

16. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Get a Wii U instead. The staggering amount of games you can play on it with homebrew is mindboggling.

17. Lmaokernel

Lmaokernel Newbie

Newcomer
    Thursday
    United States
    CA
    If you get a switch, get Mario and you won't put it down. But there's not much else to play once you're done with that. Unless you want to buy doom or skyrim again

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

18. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a must-own IMO, and I'd highly recommend Rabbids Kingdom Battle as well. At least ten really good indies to buy from the eShop too, including Rocket League and Stardew Valley. Basically all the good non-AAA stuff PS4 has, but with the magic of portable.

Last edited by Xzi, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:25 PM
    sarkwalvein likes this.
  19. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    What is a fidget spinner? Are you suggesting he or she should go buy some kind of gold platted "adult" toy?