Hacking Softmodding a PAL Wii U for 1080p upscaling?

Castanje

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello GBAtemp, I'm new :lol:

So I live in the Netherlands and sadly our region is PAL. I'm thinking about buying a Wii U, but I also want it to play older Wii games in 1080p (upscaled, not uprendered - I know the difference ;) ) .

- I've heard that a PAL Wii U cannot upscale Wii games to 1080p, but a NTSC Wii U can? Or can it? Different sources say different things, meh hehe.
- Is it possible to softmod a PAL Wii U to play NTSC games in 1080p upscaled? Or maybe even possible to play PAL games in forced NTSC so it also will be upscaled in 1080p?

Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: RikuCrafter

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was unaware NTSC can upscale the vWii games to 1080p. can somebody confirm this and provide a link?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The signal is scaled to fit 1080p via HDMI, but the internal resolution is still fixed at 480p max, the Wii U is incapable of rendering it the same way Dolphin does if that's what he's wondering.

Castanje

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The signal is scaled to fit 1080p via HDMI, but the internal resolution is still fixed at 480p max, the Wii U is incapable of rendering it the same way Dolphin does if that's what he's wondering.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but an upscaled 1080p image of a 480p image can look better if the TV isn't good at upscaling. So you can let your Wii U do it instead of your TV. BUT apparently only the NTSC games can be upscaled to 1080P, because I've read that PAL Wii games can't be upscaled for some lame reason.

But I still wonder if it's possible to softmod a PAL Wii U to play NTSC Games upscaled to 1080p like they would on a NTSC Wii U?
So is someone here playing NTSC games on a softmodded PAL Wii upscaled to 1080p :blink: ?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
BUT apparently only the NTSC games can be upscaled to 1080P, because I've read that PAL Wii games can't be upscaled for some lame reason.
That sounds completely bogus - there's no reason whatsoever as to why that would be the case, the system should do it natively over the HDMI port because that's the expected image format for that port.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The difference is I believe that, NTSC vWii scales 480p > 1080P however the PAL vWii scales 576i > 1080P. The difference is that PAL upscales an interlaced signal and not a progressive one making images more grainy especially in motion.

There is nothing software can do at this point.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
vWii usues nearest neighbour scaling which is basically garbage. You get much better results setting the Wii-u to 480p, and letting your TV do the upscaling.

Muyfa666

Trophies
XP
Country
I softmodded my PAL Wii U's vWii for the same reason. I really see no difference. Games render very good. I only use NTSC games, and I think they do render in 480p -> 1080p. Looks about as good as old-gen can anyway. There are other benefits over a real Wii IMO. Over HDMI, my input lag is basically none, but with component I welcomed myself to lag city... ;-)

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, Nintendo does not render the image in 1080p. Maybe Nintendo will fix that one day. It is a real shame.

I think the PAL Wii's will upscale with digital cables but not with analog.

Castanje

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the info you all. I didn't think that a PAL Wii U was also capable of upscaling. I'd better try softmodding my Wii U for playing NTSC games in 480p @ 1080p upscaled. Thanks :)

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info you all. I didn't think that a PAL Wii U was also capable of upscaling. I'd better try softmodding my Wii U for playing NTSC games in 480p @ 1080p upscaled. Thanks :)

If you use a digital connection (I am guessing the Euro-Wii U use HDMI too), I think it should upscale properly. You just cannot do it with component or SCART or whatever analog HDTV connections the Euro-Wii U has.

Coconuts 500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The difference is I believe that, NTSC vWii scales 480p > 1080P however the PAL vWii scales 576i > 1080P. The difference is that PAL upscales an interlaced signal and not a progressive one making images more grainy especially in motion.

There is nothing software can do at this point.

Actually, a PAL Wii can output both 480i, 480p (at 60Hz) and 576i (at 50Hz). You choose which mode you want in the Wii settings.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Textures would look horrible. Like the N64.

The textures looked bad on the N64 because they were compressed to save space on the cartridge and due to the small buffer.

The textures on many Wii games look noticeably better in some games on 1080p and the polygons look like night and day on games like Skyward Sword when comparing 480p versus 1080p.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.