Hacking SoftBricked 2ds from trying to download Luma CFW.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Till the next update that kills safehax...
Nintendo will have to make damn sure their update doesn't break the safemode. The purpose of safemodes is solely to fix things when the primary goes down. Like when updating the bios/efi on a motherboard, they always have a backup in case an update on the primary gets corrupted. If the backup gets corrupted, then you lose your safety net, and that's IF it can be updated at all. Sometimes a safemode is flashed once and then all write capabilities to it are permanently removed, so it can't be accidentally updated with a bad file. Not always, but companies can be paranoid.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When doing the downgrade, I recommend following this guide, when your on 11.2.0. It worked for me, and I managed to install A9LH on 6 systems in under 2 weeks. https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-install-a9lh-without-buying-anything-in-11-2.455588/

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will have to make damn sure their update doesn't break the safemode. The purpose of safemodes is solely to fix things when the primary goes down. Like when updating the bios/efi on a motherboard, they always have a backup in case an update on the primary gets corrupted. If the backup gets corrupted, then you lose your safety net, and that's IF it can be updated at all. Sometimes a safemode is flashed once and then all write capabilities to it are permanently removed, so it can't be accidentally updated with a bad file. Not always, but companies can be paranoid.

When doing the downgrade, I recommend following this guide, when your on 11.2.0. It worked for me, and I managed to install A9LH on 6 systems in under 2 weeks. https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-install-a9lh-without-buying-anything-in-11-2.455588/

Actually, it's an easy patch and won't break anything..

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

That guide is meh at best .. Wouldn't link to it if I were you. 3DS.Guide is more thorough, and the guide you linked is missing parts, despite the creator of that guide being told about them on multiple occasions. I guess he just does not care if people have issues during or after hacking their console. For example the guide never specifies details during the H&S injection, and it doesn't tell you how dump H&S first so you can reinject it back later. I've seen at least two threads where users ended up having two FBI's because one of them was H&S, and they did not dump their H&S because that guide does not tell them to do so. Sure you can fix it with a system update, but still.

The 3DS guide is also more thorough in warning you about all sorts of things during each step such as how vital a NAND backup is. The one you linked is pretty dumbed down and will work for those who are already familiar with hacking, but for a newbie user it's pretty bad.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it's an easy patch and won't break anything..
How many lines of code go into an update, or even the entire system? Things get missed all the time. Who's to say that one line of code won't accidentally get access to the Safemode firmware and erase it, or overwrite a key part of it, rendering it corrupted? They can try to test for everything, but actually accounting for it all is impossible. While it could easily be patched, leaving safe firm open to being overwritten allows anything to potentially corrupted it, be it the battery dying or being unplugged at just the wrong moment, or an update bricks the system. Again, while it can be easy, it's not necessarily safe, and any write access can break it.

That guide is meh at best .. Wouldn't link to it if I were you. 3DS.Guide is more thorough, and the guide you linked is missing parts, despite the creator of that guide being told about them on multiple occasions. I guess he just does not care if people have issues during or after hacking their console. For example the guide never specifies details during the H&S injection, and it doesn't tell you how dump H&S first so you can reinject it back later. I've seen at least two threads where users ended up having two FBI's because one of them was H&S, and they did not dump their H&S because that guide does not tell them to do so. Sure you can fix it with a system update, but still.

The 3DS guide is also more thorough in warning you about all sorts of things during each step such as how vital a NAND backup is. The one you linked is pretty dumbed down and will work for those who are already familiar with hacking, but for a newbie user it's pretty bad.

Quoted from the guide: "If you want to restore H&S, go to FBI, Titles, select FBI, Delete Title & Tickets and attempt a system update."

Or if you're like me, I simply get the 3dsx homebrew file, run that after I've installed Luma and restored to 11.2, and use that to install FBI though it's TitleDB feature, and then delete soundhax. :)

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many lines of code go into an update, or even the entire system? Things get missed all the time. Who's to say that one line of code won't accidentally get access to the Safemode firmware and erase it, or overwrite a key part of it, rendering it corrupted? They can try to test for everything, but actually accounting for it all is impossible. While it could easily be patched, leaving safe firm open to being overwritten allows anything to potentially corrupted it, be it the battery dying or being unplugged at just the wrong moment, or an update bricks the system. Again, while it can be easy, it's not necessarily safe, and any write access can break it.

Quoted from the guide: "If you want to restore H&S, go to FBI, Titles, select FBI, Delete Title & Tickets and attempt a system update."

Or if you're like me, I simply get the 3dsx homebrew file, run that after I've installed Luma and restored to 11.2, and use that to install FBI though it's TitleDB feature. :)
However you want to look at it, I bet the next update patches it. They will not leave an exploit like that open, when it can easily be patched.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However you want to look at it, I bet the next update patches it. They will not leave an exploit like that open, when it can easily be patched.
True, but they will need to weigh the cons and pros. Also we don't know if the safe mode is even writable. Again, it could have been flashed with the last firmware they had when manufactured, and then removed all write access to it, not thinking this could be an entry point later down the line. If so, would mean another hardware revision is the only way to patch that exploit.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Or if you're like me, I simply get the 3dsx homebrew file, run that after I've installed Luma and restored to 11.2, and use that to install FBI though it's TitleDB feature, and then delete soundhax. :)

Why can't the guide seriously just say to dump H&S first? takes literally 2 seconds, far easier/Faster than messing with titles and updating the system. Also if you deleted title and tickets of FBI would it not get rid of the actual FBI as well? Either way, the guide is dumbed down like I said. Okay for experienced users, very bad for newbie users. A lot of newbies on this very forum are struggling because they bricked, and while most if not all of those bricks are user-end errors, having a detailed guide DOES help minimize those bricks and I would rather use and recommend 3DS.Guide than that crappy excuse of a guide any day.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why can't the guide seriously just say to dump H&S first? takes literally 2 seconds, far easier/Faster than messing with titles and updating the system. Also if you deleted title and tickets of FBI would it not get rid of the actual FBI as well? Either way, the guide is dumbed down like I said. Okay for experienced users, very bad for newbie users. A lot of newbies on this very forum are struggling because they bricked, and while most if not all of those bricks are user-end errors, having a detailed guide DOES help minimize those bricks and I would rather use and recommend 3DS.Guide than that crappy excuse of a guide any day.
Clearly you're misreading and jumping to a conclusion. The guide says one thing, and I said I did something else entirely, skipping the injection of FBI and using the homebrew method.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Clearly you're misreading and jumping to a conclusion. The guide says one thing, and I said I did something else entirely, skipping the injection of FBI and using the homebrew method.

What are you talking about? Your method is irrelevant. We're talking about that guide and the guide only and how it's bad (in my opinion). Whatever you use to install FBI has nothing to do with the subject. The guide could and should be better than it is, and I would not recommend it as is like you seem to do.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you talking about? Your method is irrelevant. We're talking about that guide and the guide only and how it's bad (in my opinion). Whatever you use to install FBI has nothing to do with the subject.
The argument you're making is that the guide doesn't tell you how to get H&S back. I quoted it, and then gave my own suggestion instead of using the injection method. In fact I just asked the author of the guide to change it to reflect the suggestion. It works, and can easily be used to bypass the restoration issue.

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
$70?! A new 2DS would be around that on sale - an used one you can get for less. No point in paying to get it fixed. Either fix it yourself or buy a new one.
Unless OP doesn't back up the games save, or friend code, or bla bla bla that still exist on that nand backup.
While fixing it yourself, you would lose you console forever if you're screw up.
Hardmod always has it good point over softmod no matter what when you really can do it, or you have a pro doing it.
And if you choose permanent hardmod install, you can always using it any time after you installed.

Spectary

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems a bit too easy, can you either show us what files you have on your sd card or write down every files on your root?

Then maybe you wouldn't need the iron tool after all. I'll be watching

xxturtlederpxx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems a bit too easy, can you either show us what files you have on your sd card or write down every files on your root?

Then maybe you wouldn't need the iron tool after all. I'll be watching
files on root:
3ds
a9lh
CIA
DCIM
files9 (includes NANDmin.bin
Luma
menuhax
mGBA
Nntendo 3DS
ROMS
Themes
arm9.bin
arm9loaderhax.bin
arm11.bin
blargSnes
boot.3dsx
otherapp.bin
SafeA9LHInstaller.dat
safehaxpayload.bin
screenshots_raw.bin
soundhax-usa-o3ds (1)

Spectary

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
files on root:
3ds
a9lh
CIA
DCIM
files9 (includes NANDmin.bin
Luma
menuhax
mGBA
Nntendo 3DS
ROMS
Themes
arm9.bin
arm9loaderhax.bin
arm11.bin
blargSnes
boot.3dsx
otherapp.bin
SafeA9LHInstaller.dat
safehaxpayload.bin
screenshots_raw.bin
soundhax-usa-o3ds (1)

Do you have a folder named Payload in Luma? if so create one.

Also you could be missing some files you haven't extracted from the guide like hblauncher, but first check after that payload folder.

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Do you have a folder named Payload in Luma? if so create one.

Also you could be missing some files you haven't extracted from the guide like hblauncher, but first check after that payload folder.
I try deleting Payload folder, my console still boot. So, no, it's not the cause of problem.

We already face some people who has the same problem before.
One of the cause is while installing A9LH when get the bugged screen,
User become panic and shutdown while SafeA9LHinstaller not finishing the process,
Making a NAND become corrupted and can't be load.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs