Gruntzer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
hello
i am currently trying to softmod my PS@ using This Guide

after i complete that which i will as soon as i acquire some scrap parts ,i "will" need help obtaining elf files to play backups ( especially from other regions mainly NSTC-J ) ( my console is PAL region ), thus if anyone is kind to link me to some HDD loaders that work with this kind of exploit i would be really grateful.

also , when i was younger my father took the console to be modded to play burned games "currently the optical lens is broken it wont read any games" how can i know how it was modded, i am guessing they replaced the optic drive or something but i am in a bind and can't figure it out :S.

sorry if this post was a duplicate but my searches have been futile and the info is scarce :P

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
first things first:
1. it is a FAT PS2??
2. are you going to use the network adapter with an internal HDD?? (I guess yes, but I need to ask anyway). if yes, then I suggest using a 120GB or less HDD.
3. you can see if your console is modded pressing and maintaining /\ and O until you see a (generaly) blue menu. if that's the case then you have a Matrix chip (or a clone of it) installed. I dont know how to check for other modchips but the matrix and his clones are the more widespread.

Reactions: Gruntzer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You'll need FreeMCBoot and OPL (OpenPS2Loader). You're mentioning HDD use so the easiest vector to use for installation would be an HDD install. You'll find all of the necessary files here:

FreeMCBoot (FHDB)
OpenPS2Loader

Remember, this kind of booting is only possible on PS2 Classic (Phat) systems. If you have a Slim, or a Classic with no Network Adapter and HDD, you will require a memory card with installed FreeMCBoot. In addition, if you plan on using a USB HDD - don't. Use SMB instead if you must, it's more preferable due to higher throughput.

Reactions: Gruntzer

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
You'll need FreeMCBoot and OPL (OpenPS2Loader). You're mentioning HDD use so the easiest vector to use for installation would be an HDD install. You'll find all of the necessary files here:

FreeMCBoot (FHDB)
OpenPS2Loader

Remember, this kind of booting is only possible on PS2 Classic (Phat) systems. If you have a Slim, or a Classic with no Network Adapter and HDD, you will require a memory card with installed FreeMCBoot. In addition, if you plan on using a USB HDD - don't. Use SMB instead if you must, it's more preferable due to higher throughput.

bad Foxi bad.
if he is gonna use an internal HDD this method is better (Patched HDD-enabled OSDSYS for PS2 ( HDD-OSD 1.10). you don't even need a memory card to boot this way.

EDIT: BTW this is what I'm using and works like a charm, and without wasting precious memory card space.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
bad Foxi bad.
if he is gonna use an internal HDD this method is better. you don't even need a memory card to boot this way.

EDIT: BTW this is what I'm using and works like a charm, and without wasting precious memory card space.
FHDB is literally the same thing as far as I know. That is, if he meant an internal HDD - he hasn't described it very well. I also had to remove the link you posted since the file is hosted on a "certain website" that hosts "certain files" not allowed here, I did leave the keywords though for him to Google. :P

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
oops, sorry about that, posted without thinking much.

yeah, hdboot and mcboot are basically the same(hell, they didn't even changed the splash screen to read freehdboot). the main difference is that with hdboot you can have the PS2 browser working and launch games from there in the same fashion as a unmodded PS3. and of course save megabytes in you memory card for saves instead of elfs.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I see, fair enough, I'll need to give it a go. Thing is, I like to have compatibility settings handy and OPL has those conveniently placed in the GUI. :P

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I see, fair enough, I'll need to give it a go. Thing is, I like to have compatibility settings handy and OPL has those conveniently placed in the GUI. :P

When you copy the games with hdldumb(or hdldump if you prefer command line) you can set the compatibility flags, I don't remember if you change them with hdldumb once the game is copied though, you need to use hdldump to change them from command line. So the setup is a little more complicated but isn't like you'll be messing with that all the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv