So you want to learn to program?

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by FAST6191, Sep 9, 2014.

Sep 9, 2014
  1. Gizametalman

Member Gizametalman GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Howdy!
    Years ago, I was interested in Programming, and actually, I WAS learning to code with a software called: "DEV C++", which I remember, it "had" many programming languages in it, so you can choose any you want to code on.
    CAN I USE "DEV C++"?
    Or do I have to download and install EVERY Coding Software out there? (the ones that I'm interested in, that is)
    Like, I wan't to create free software, web pages, mobile games and videogames (GBA, NDS, 3DS, Android, IOS, etc.)
    So I'm guessing that I need:
    -C#
    -C++
    -Java
    -LUA
    -Phyton
    -Ruby

I have "DEV C++", can I learn all those languages with that software?

2. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Is installing more than one IDE or compiler such an imposition? With the exception of IOS stuff then they can all be done for free on Windows.

Anyway programming is almost invariably a text based affair so you will want a text editor. Depending upon what you want to do beyond that you might be able to get away with just that, though more things helps a lot.

Free software can be done in almost anything (there might be some paid only languages somewhere or compilers or something that disallow it but hey).

GBA was mostly C and GBA assembly, DS did better for C++ as well but was mostly C and DS assembly.

Web pages. The basic markup and layout is the responsibility of HTML and CSS but websites themselves are written in a variety of languages. The most popular is probably PHP but ASP.net (Microsoft's offering, and sort of familiar to anybody that has done things with C#) and Ruby on rails are also popular. To go on top of this you also have CGI (ways for websites to call normal PC programs) and databases (mysql being the most popular in the free and easy world but there are many many other choices), oh and I suppose .htaccess is a thing worth noting.

Android is largely taken care of with Java.

IOS is probably a combination of objective C (apple took C and added object oriented stuff to it, similar in some concepts to the C++ everybody else uses) and I guess I should mention Swift. For objective C you will want a reasonably current Apple computer or make hackintosh/VM with OSX in.

Dev C++ mostly does C and C++ so yeah you will want extra stuff. I don't know if you want to spread yourself so thin though. By all means learn some web stuff at the same time as learning C or Java or something like that but that is a lot of stuff to learn at the same time as learning the fundamentals of programming, indeed even if you already know such things then it is still a fairly big ask.

3. Vishnoo

Member Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

India
    Get Visual Studio 2015 if you want to learn all programming language.

4. Gizametalman

Member Gizametalman GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Thanks for both replies.
    Visual Studio ain't working on my computer. I downloaded Visual Studio Community (or something along those lines) and it NEVER installed onto my computer.
    I've been learning Java for the past 2 days and so far I'm kinda getting the hang of how coding works, still have a lot to learn.
    I'm assuming that, once I learn ONE language (Java at least for me) then any other seemingly simple language shouldn't be as hard to learn from scratch...

Installing every single required software to code is not the problem. I just like to keep things organized.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

When trying to install Visual Studio, it "deletes" something, and then a Error screen pops up.

Attached Files:

5. Vishnoo

Member Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

India
  6. Minnow

Member Minnow GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Though it is not crucial to type fast, or even above 50wp, I highly recommend teaching yourself how to type properly if you have not already. I used to be around 60wpm by having miss-aligned fingers, am now 110 wpm on a good day. Not only that, but symbols and words in general are easier to type. Regardless of whether you're going to code a lot, if you're at a keyboard for over 1 hour a day, typing properly is a must.

7. grossaffe

Member grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

United States
    One of my former co-workers in software development was known to be a hunt-and-peck type.

8. Minnow

Canada
    Those people actually bother me. My computer science teacher types with 4 fingers whilst looking at his keyboard it and really irritates me.
    Though it's probably just a pet peeve of mine.

9. flame1234

Member flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hunt-and-peckers can actually type pretty fast, but can't do it without looking at the keyboard.

When I program I have to look at the keyboard because you need _ | <> ? [] {} * - = % a lot and a lot of people, even though they can type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog." can't type those special chars without looking.

10. Minnow

Canada
    I can type all of those symbols without looking. The only time I look at my keyboard is for the function keys (F1, F12, etc.), those are a pain.

11. supergamer368

Member supergamer368 Nintendo Nerd, Youtuber, Hacker, Game Maker

In a wastebasket reading my neighbor's mail
    United States
    I translated the binary, it says: *�����������������������