Hacking So without getting flamed to hell for this. Regarding why the 3ds isn't kernel haxed on 11.0

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm aware this was more of a WHY topic. a development of sorts and more of a general question about why 3ds development has halted pretty much.

I assume in part because of the new vita hack
You wouldn't consider this halted if you'd been around in the void between Gateway on 4.x and Smealum's 9.2 Ninjhax. A new secondary exploit comes out like every month nowadays.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Well, memchunkhax 2.1 wasn't technically patched iirc, but it was made near-unworkable due to canaries being added into the kernel11.

In addition, the process9 checks mean that even with an arm11 kernel exploit, we won't be able to downgrade. There are already a number of arm11 exploits that have been discovered privately (my favorite being slowhax, which takes over an hour to execute). However, the developer has decided not to release these exploits yet as he wants to finish an arm9 exploit before he releases anything.

bbcali89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, memchunkhax 2.1 wasn't technically patched iirc, but it was made near-unworkable due to canaries being added into the kernel11.

In addition, the process9 checks mean that even with an arm11 kernel exploit, we won't be able to downgrade. There are already a number of arm11 exploits that have been discovered privately (my favorite being slowhax, which takes over an hour to execute). However, the developer has decided not to release these exploits yet as he wants to finish an arm9 exploit before he releases anything.
this is interesting news.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mmph! Thanks for showing me nedwills YouTube, subscribed.
Slowhax xD
But to contribute something useful, I can confirm that the actual time of check to time of use vulnerability is still unpatched, but as far as I know it's been made basically unusable with Ninty's meddling. (I don't know exactly how they did that, but I know they did.)

Last edited by Swiftloke,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You wouldn't consider this halted if you'd been around in the void between Gateway on 4.x and Smealum's 9.2 Ninjhax. A new secondary exploit comes out like every month nowadays.
Calling this a void is pretty silly, especially considering that - as discussed - we do have a downgrade exploit on current firmware. Just because it's TWL_FIRM and not NATIVE_FIRM, doesn't mean it's not latest firmware.

I kinda want to just show the scene of a few years ago how damn easy it is for me to jump from playing an out-of-region Federation Force into Mother 3 Fan Translation 1.2 and see them get green with envy... or get triggered because Samus isn't the protagonist of FedForce.

rondoh70

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive been thinking about the hard coded list thing. Do we have enough control of the memory to change pointers or the values related to that list?

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Ive been thinking about the hard coded list thing. Do we have enough control of the memory to change pointers or the values related to that list?
Nope. The memory where this values are is so obviously out of the user scope or the gspwn-able zone. Also, the memory portion must be accesed directly in physical memory addresses (arm9) and not pointers or virtual addresses mode (arm11/userland).

That's why it's easier to replace a firm to a lower one (which would not use said list) by a modified nand backup than to rewrite the list.

And, if you get to rewrite the list also means you have arm9 control, so a downgrade would not make any sense (just for a9lh installs) since you can already cfw.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nude checkers get jumped