Homebrew So what's the deal with Wii U homebrew?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is there so little of it? Is the exploit not able to run things? Is the Wii U just difficult to code for? I'm confused as to why a 5 year old console has no homebrew that I'd actually use. Can the smart people fill me in?

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The console is hacked enough for homebrew to be made. I actually asked about this a few months back. Basically everything I got was lack of intrest and no iosuhax (this doesn't apply now).

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The console is hacked enough for homebrew to be made. I actually asked about this a few months back. Basically everything I got was lack of intrest and no iosuhax (this doesn't apply now).
Is that's so? If I were more advanced in programming I would take a crack at it myself. Really I just hope someone makes a freeshop soon.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really I just hope someone makes a freeshop soon.
Someone privately made one, but wouldn't release it due to the slow download speeds.
If they release it, it would only really be usable for VC games.
(and before you say "But its faster then the 3ds and it has freeshop!" You are correct about speeds but wii u games are way bigger then 3ds games [most are at least 1 or 2 GB, while most 3ds games are less then 1.5 GB])

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone privately made one, but wouldn't release it due to the slow download speeds.
If they release it, it would only really be usable for VC games.
(and before you say "But its faster then the 3ds and it has freeshop!" You are correct about speeds but wii u games are way bigger then 3ds games [most are at least 1 or 2 GB, while most 3ds games are less then 1.5 GB])
That makes a lot of sense... would he privately distribute the release? I don't mind slow download speeds. I would just do it overnight.

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know who made it, but I doubt he would release it from what other devs said.
That's too bad. Oh well I've gone without it this long. I just hate to see something with so much potential get so little attention

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, if anyone knows or knows where to find the user with the slow Freeshop, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Lack of interest? I can see it. Releasing the same old tired nonsense on every hacked console gets boring after a while. We see the standard emulators, retro ports, and weird homebrew games that probably shouldn't be. Wondering if it'll be worse with the Switch?

The WiiU has potential to be a decent homebrew machine.. But with VC for retro games, and no real reason for a media player.. I can see why it is like this.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
We have a small group of coders who are actively creating homebrew , along side real life .. these things take time , also we created a forum and irc channel whereby like minded coders can learn / teach / share ideas etc etc .. most homebrew has stemmed from this. If anyone wants to learn we made a simplified library for new people to try , a few apps spawned from this also. We try to keep all homebrews latest versions and new releases on the appstore for you all , theres 100+ apps there currently.. and i do admit most are tools and the like , with few creative and useful apps.. feel free to list apps you think would be worth making , dont expect them to be made but you may stir the creative juices of one dev or give it a go yourself .. just ask dylon99 . he went from a total noob to an app creator along side ryu and a few others . Sorry for the wall of text .. essentially most are right .. we are a limited bunch of people as interest is low.

edit : the freeshop for wiiu isnt a completed app the shit slow speeds put pay to the apps progress.. its wont get a release .

Last edited by pwsincd,

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have a small group of coders who are actively creating homebrew , along side real life .. these things take time , also we created a forum and irc channel whereby like minded coders can learn / teach / share ideas etc etc .. most homebrew has stemmed from this. If anyone wants to learn we made a simplified library for new people to try , a few apps spawned from this also. We try to keep all homebrews latest versions and new releases on the appstore for you all , theres 100+ apps there currently.. and i do admit most are tools and the like , with few creative and useful apps.. feel free to list apps you think would be worth making , dont expect them to be made but you may stir the creative juices of one dev or give it a go yourself .. just ask dylon99 . he went from a total noob to an app creator along side ryu and a few others . Sorry for the wall of text .. essentially most are right .. we are a limited bunch of people as interest is low.

edit : the freeshop for wiiu isnt a completed app the shit slow speeds put pay to the apps progress.. its wont get a release .
That sounds perfect. Where do I join?

D

Deleted User

Man, at this rate, we will get everything by year 2090...
If other devs would work, then i think we would even get that damn music player thingy.

D

Deleted User

a basic media player app is fairly simple using the browsers playback features , im sure rw had this down in part ..
You could use USendMii to send movies to Wii U [Correct me if wrong]
Although, it was pretty... awful. [Endless buffering, like on normal Wii U browser...]

D

Deleted User

yeah but equally ppl can use PLEX for this
I never used Plex, nor i plan to and i can think that others don't also want to use Plex.
Still, Wii U feels like a multimedia box rather than console so a small video player from SDCard wouldn't hurt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho