So, out of curiosity, anyone here pla PS3 through a Projector?

AtomSmasherMazionga

GBATemp Resident Atom Smasher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all. does anyone here play their PS3 through a Projector? I mean, I think it'd be cool as shit to have a display as big as my wall, but I dunno how things like this work. anyone know from experience how good(or shitty) it is to do this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Played my 360 and laptop a lot through mine so same as anything really.
If you blow it up too large and sit too close then you can see the lower resolution, especially on some of the cheaper projectors.
If the thing has a lot of latency then that sucks for reaction based games. Don't know what the current state of affairs is here.
If you are using HDMI then make sure your projector handles HDCP or you otherwise strip the HDCP from the signal (either a splitter that does it or maybe a CFW for the PS3 but I don't know what goes there) -- some of the cheapo projectors might not have HDCP support, on the other hand a lot of those are cheap Chinese things and they strip HDCP.
Some people get quite bad motion sickness with it. I did not do amazingly when sat off to the side with skate 3 on the screen which is impressive as I can watch the shakiest shakey cam cut such a that a youtube vloglogger says "calm it down on the cuts, mate" just fine. Others could not stand it head on, though they get very travel sick so take that how you will.

You have the brightness and colours problem that comes with all screens, usually solved (if you care) by making sure you project on something nice and either have a bright projector (not all projectors are equal, typically office ones are bright as you like so as to work in normally lit conference rooms but they suffer in other ways). Colours are still going to display, just might not be as vibrant as some setups you might have played (tends to bother Americans far more as most things over there have the saturation pumped right up where outside it things tend to favour more muted tones).

But yeah it is plenty playable, I had a great time with mine and so did may. It is nice for split screen as well, assuming such a concept still exists.

Reactions: Raylight

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all. does anyone here play their PS3 through a Projector? I mean, I think it'd be cool as shit to have a display as big as my wall, but I dunno how things like this work. anyone know from experience how good(or shitty) it is to do this?
I knew a guy who used to do that for his PS2 games and it was always pretty neat although I will say that it depends as latency can be an issue.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
One thing you have to consider carefully with projectors is the room's lighting. The room needs to be almost completely dark for the image to appear in its intended brightness. Also, how close will you be sitting near the wall?

Reactions: Deleted User

AtomSmasherMazionga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing you have to consider carefully with projectors is the room's lighting. The room needs to be almost completely dark for the image to appear in its intended brightness. Also, how close will you be sitting near the wall?
Was thinking of projecting the display onto the ceiling of my room. My room is pitch dark if I cut the lights off (the window was spray painted black and duct taped by the previous owner) so no issues with darkness. I'll probably be between 6-7 feet away from the display if I lay on my bed (the ceiling is rather high)

Reactions: Catastrophic

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always wanted one that i can use to play my games on the ceiling while i lay in my bed. :rolleyes:

But those things are expensive for HD and surround sound and not sure if i will be happy with the one i pick so i dunno. I might be happier with VR Sonic 3 or something. Still as long as i can lay in bed comfortable and play games. :yayu:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I used to play an old Xbox on a projector with an old classmate of mine at his fathers place.
Fucker build half a cinema in his attic!

Anyway, That was back in '03/'04.
Can say it's a nice experience.

Reactions: Raylight
D

Deleted User

No, and I dislike the thought of having something like video games through a projector. If I want to see video games on a big screen i'll hook up my computer to my television.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Projectors are one of those things that seem neat at first for gaming until you really look into it and find out all the flaws with it. For one, response times on all but the best projectors (read: $900+) are terrible. A $100 1080p monitor would have a better response time than a $1000 projector. Two, you have to have the perfect environment as well as the perfect display in order to get the best out of your projector. If you don't have the perfect lighting with the perfect wall size with the perfect, blank wall (or projector screen), you're not going to get the best looking picture. Three, you'll have to either already have an audio setup or purchase one because, like most TVs, projector speakers (if it has one) are utter ass. Like, $20 speakers probably sound better than a projectors. Then there's the amount of power they take just to run, some of these run at 250W-300W. That's like 3 or 4 40" TVs. They're also loud cuz of the cooling they require, but that sort of varies by projector so meh :P

At the price point you have to be at in order to truly have at least a "decent" projector experience, you might as well just buy a big ol' 1080p TV, or hell even a 4K TV would be cheaper.

I mean, it's really neat and all (I used to have a projector setup in my garage that we'd use at family reunions for games and stuff) but it's simply not...feasible for long-term gaming.

Reactions: Deleted User

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Projectors are one of those things that seem neat at first for gaming until you really look into it and find out all the flaws with it. For one, response times on all but the best projectors (read: $900+) are terrible. A $100 1080p monitor would have a better response time than a $1000 projector. Two, you have to have the perfect environment as well as the perfect display in order to get the best out of your projector. If you don't have the perfect lighting with the perfect wall size with the perfect, blank wall (or projector screen), you're not going to get the best looking picture. Three, you'll have to either already have an audio setup or purchase one because, like most TVs, projector speakers (if it has one) are utter ass. Like, $20 speakers probably sound better than a projectors. Then there's the amount of power they take just to run, some of these run at 250W-300W. That's like 3 or 4 40" TVs. They're also loud cuz of the cooling they require, but that sort of varies by projector so meh :P

At the price point you have to be at in order to truly have at least a "decent" projector experience, you might as well just buy a big ol' 1080p TV, or hell even a 4K TV would be cheaper.

I mean, it's really neat and all (I used to have a projector setup in my garage that we'd use at family reunions for games and stuff) but it's simply not...feasible for long-term gaming.
Really great perspective on the issue regarding projectors. Plus I would add that (at least I assume) that cable management would probably be pretty hard to do correctly.

AtomSmasherMazionga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reason I ask is my buddy invited me over to his place about a week ago, and we played his PS3 through a projector in his basement. which has a theater (Cinema) in it. we played Minecraft, MGS5:TPP and a whole bunch of other things on the equivalent of a 180 inch screen, maybe 200 inch, idk. when I say he has a theater in his basement, I mean it's legit Theater Sized. he's Loaded as hell, says $800 is chump change, then goes on to say $800 to him is like $20 to me.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always play on a Projector, although it is a nice model (not high end by any means) [Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350] along with a good THX spec 7.1 Surround setup. It is really nice for everything and the only thing so far that is having me reconsider using a projector is a 144Hz Monitor after seeing a friend with one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple