Hacking So, it seems that opera ds will use both of the ds

BlazeWizard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you think it'll be possible to run it off of a flash cart? I think there might be a way to trick the opera ram into using a media card for storage, instead of the original ram that i assume is in one of the two carts.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RAM is different then storage space. The card would have to have the same amount or more of RAM to even begin thinking about using Opera on a flashcard.

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RAM is way faster than using flash cart. if it works, it'll be slower but only by milliseconds maybe.

RueGorE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Writing to RAM is not like writing to flash media. I do believe that there would be the need of "translator" to handle the reads/writes to a virtual RAM space on the flash media card, and also, due to the nature of Random Access Memory, this could really slow things down. A lot.

I'm no expert on this, but that seems like a logical conclusion.
unsure.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Writing to RAM is not like writing to flash media. I do believe that there would be the need of "translator" to handle the reads/writes to a virtual RAM space on the flash media card, and also, due to the nature of Random Access Memory, this could really slow things down. A lot.

I'm no expert on this, but that seems like a logical conclusion.
unsure.gif

Shouldn't slow it down too much. I mean what is the RAM for? Cache most likely. What if we surfed without caching the images and shit? Sure, we'd have to load images and stuff everytime but it'd probably be faster than reading and writing off a flash card

ole jason

Trophies
XP
Country
It remains to be seen what the RAM is actually for. Like 754 said, if it's just for cache then it should be no problem however if the software requires the extra RAM to run it may be more difficult to use on a flashcart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)