Hacking So, is it possible to get the DK Bongos working on Wii U with Nintendon't with the GC adapter?

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you test it with DK, DK2, DK3 and jungle beat?
Does clapping still work by tapping the sides of the bongo?

Still dont know why in game calibration dosent work

Shadowfied

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, Jungle Beat (PAL - don't have NTSC version) works great. The calibration also kind of works there. It shows different levels depending on the sound but it doesn't seem to matter which threshold you pick. Both bongos detected in all 4 ports.

Donkey Konga 1 (NTSC) also works really well. It happens, rarely though, that it picks up a clap about the same time as a bongo input. Perhaps increase the delay just a tiny bit. Also, it sometimes picks up claps when hitting the start button, maybe add that to the "do not pick up clap" list as well.

Donkey Konga 1 (PAL), just like above. Both bongos detected in all 4 ports.

I still can't get Donkey Konga 2 working properly. I've tried two different iso's I've found, I would get an actual copy but it's almost impossible to find a NTSC copy in Sweden. Also, have you tried this version yourself? It seems unlikely that 2 isos would fail this way. The audio for the songs just won't play, other than the menu or title screen. I saw a new Nintendon't update about the DSPs. I'm sure it has nothing with Donkey Konga 2 to do but I'll give it a go, even though that won't detect my "bad" bongos, as you haven't pushed your version yet. ---- Nope, no go with latest Nintendon't either...

Donkey Konga 2 (PAL), just like the others. Both bongos detected in all 4 ports.

Donkey Konga 3 (NTSC-J), just like the others. Both bongos detected in all 4 ports.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sent everyone bongo test 7

Increased the delay between bongo release to mic on from 5 cycles to 6 cycles.
Added start button to bongo buttons that need to be released to enable mic

Donkey Konga 2 NTSC does play songs for me.

Shadowfied

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a bit better. I think the threshold should be slighly increased, as it is still quite sensitive. Also increase the delay even further.
It still claps often when start is hit.

Shadowfied

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, huge problem found. When playing 2 players, the second players clapping is EXTREMELY difficult to pick up. Unforunately, that's about all the info I have. Please see if there's something that can be done about that. It's really weird..as if the threshold is extremely high for the second player.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you switch the ports the bongos are plugged in to does the problem move with the bongo or stay with the port.

Shadowfied

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It seems to be the bongos that are plugged in first that work properly. Not in the first port, but just, first in time.

Shadowfied

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hm.. 2 player works a lot better in Donkey Konga 1 (but not perfect) for some unimagineable reason....are there any coding that makes the bongos act different between the two games?

bhank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am experiencing the DK bongos problem (Using the GameCube adapter on Wii U, with games on USB hard drive plugged into top rear port, adapter in bottom rear port; DK shows the icon for a standard controller, not bongos, and constantly scrolls to one side as if one bongo were constantly pressed).

Here is my HIDTest v0.6 data with one set of bongos plugged into the first port on the adapter and nothing pressed:
21 10 00 00 01 01 01 02 01 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
In a quiet room, the 09 is fluctuating, apparently between 08 and 09. When I clap it spikes, and the first digit briefly goes to 1 or 2.

With a different bongo set plugged in to the first port and nothing pressed:
21 10 00 00 01 01 02 02 01 0B 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Again, the 0B fluctuates apparently between 0A and 0B, and when I clap it spikes and the first digit goes to 1 or 2.

Anything else I can do to help? Is there a way to get more precise data out of HIDTest, since it changes too fast for me to see exact numbers?

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am experiencing the DK bongos problem (Using the GameCube adapter on Wii U, with games on USB hard drive plugged into top rear port, adapter in bottom rear port; DK shows the icon for a standard controller, not bongos, and constantly scrolls to one side as if one bongo were constantly pressed).

Here is my HIDTest v0.6 data with one set of bongos plugged into the first port on the adapter and nothing pressed:
21 10 00 00 01 01 01 02 01 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
In a quiet room, the 09 is fluctuating, apparently between 08 and 09. When I clap it spikes, and the first digit briefly goes to 1 or 2.

With a different bongo set plugged in to the first port and nothing pressed:
21 10 00 00 01 01 02 02 01 0B 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Again, the 0B fluctuates apparently between 0A and 0B, and when I clap it spikes and the first digit goes to 1 or 2.

Anything else I can do to help? Is there a way to get more precise data out of HIDTest, since it changes too fast for me to see exact numbers?
PM me your email and I will send you a test version

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also PM'd you Howard. I'm sure you're busy, but I'm here to help test things out however I can.
You can help by sending the HIDTest data
- post the raw data from hidtest with each of the pairs of bongos plugged into the first port and nothing pressed
- post the highest value from each bongo seen in offset 9 from normal backround noise.
- post the lowest value from each bongo seen in offset 9 from clapping.

The Crane Game

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to use HIDTest and it locks up each time. I've got the controller.ini in the SD card's root and have my set of bongos plugged into the front USB, in slot 1 of the adapter. Dunno why, it detects the bongos, but as soon as it finishes loading, the system hard locks. I have to kill the power to from the AC to shut it down.
Sorry if this is more trouble than it's worth. I appreciate your work and am really wanting to play through Jungle Beat again!

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to use HIDTest and it locks up each time. I've got the controller.ini in the SD card's root and have my set of bongos plugged into the front USB, in slot 1 of the adapter. Dunno why, it detects the bongos, but as soon as it finishes loading, the system hard locks. I have to kill the power to from the AC to shut it down.
Sorry if this is more trouble than it's worth. I appreciate your work and am really wanting to play through Jungle Beat again!
To run HIDTest with the gamecube adapter you need to remove the controller.ini, Then run smash u first to init the adapter. then without powering off run HIDTest.

The Crane Game

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got it!
21 14 00* 00 01 01 01** 02 01 0B*** 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04
*Picked up each bongo and them together
**This kept twitching back and force between 01 and 02, with or without noise or bongo hits
***Also was twitching while the room was silent, roughly 0B and 0A. Was around 09 with normal background noise. Very twitchy when hitting the bongos themselves.
Hope this helps. Lemme know if you need anything else.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sent everyone Nintendont bongo test 8
Lowered clap threshold to 30. Shadowfied does this fix multiplayer for you?

Removed setting unused axis to 0. greyrogue I think its fixed differently does your constantly pressed bongo come back?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM