Hacking Question So is 3.0.1 really not exploitable?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if money isn't an issue over raw power, and you just want a powerful portable device for emulation, may i suggest a laptop? you can plug in all kinds of controllers, and some can be extremely powerful, potentially being able to emulate newer games.
An Android tablet would fit as well but both cannot play the Switch library just in case.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eventually it will be, everything has holes in its security somewhere.

But, at the same time, we're going to have a fully open <3.0.1 Switch in the not too distant future once we start getting through the bootrom and circumvent TrustZone where we can do whatever we want, so the interest to then also start fighting Nintendo/risking entry points for higher firmwares becomes a less interesting task for most.

There is no timetable on >3.0.1.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if money isn't an issue over raw power, and you just want a powerful portable device for emulation, may i suggest a laptop? you can plug in all kinds of controllers, and some can be extremely powerful, potentially being able to emulate newer games.
I'm not really interested in the raw power per se, I just figured the excitement over a new powerful system might bring more dev interest and therefore more variety in emulation.

To be honest, I only really do emulation for nostalgia. Due to my age, that was mostly the 80's and early 90's so the extra power isn't really needed. I can see how for someone younger that might be from later more demanding systems like Dreamcast, Playstation etc, so the Switch might seem better suited.

Reactions: peteruk
D

Deleted User

Damn son whats with all the angst? Some of us are actually adults and can afford to buy any console without having to "pick a team" that we get all defensive about if anyone points out a flaw.

You can huff and puff all you want it won't change the fact that the Switch has a crappy Dpad... or that it's basically just a Tegra X1 Tablet. Luckily, it should be fairly straightforward for Nintendo to do a refresh with the X2 in a couple years so that will be the one to get excited over.
And how is that a flaw if the devs ensure it's not intrusive? Most games avoid using the dpad because the developers know the issues with the dpad on the switch. And lets be honest. How many games use a dapad for main controls, in 2017, and I mean running jumping, your movement options?

So yes, it is a flaw, a flaw that was fixed with a optional controller. Coupling that with the fact that that very few games use the dpad to a extreme extent, if not none. Shouldn't really be a big deal breaker shouldn't it? And also, it's not a stock tergra, it's close to stock but people have found out that there is SOME modifications to the chip.

And again I'm asking, why are you here. If your going to hate in a post that doesn't have anything to do with switch flaws. Isn't that blatantly bashing? And guess what, I own quite a few consoles. A playstation 2, a xbox 360, xbox one. a wii that is now busted. a wiiu, switch, a single handheld, a 3ds. Here is the reason I said sonyfanboy. Because it's the sonyfanboys that start the issues. I'm I going to say the switch is pefect? hell no. But I'm I willing to understand why something is built a certain way? yes. And the reason the dpad, is not a dpad. Was for split joy con play. Using one joy con and a friend using the other. At least Nintendo still allows local play, unlike most other companies. And what I mean by that is, there a few games on the other platforms that support splitscreen or some sort of local multiplayer that doesn't require a second console. And if you have enough money to buy more than one console. You have more then enough money to buy a pro controller, that has a decent dpad.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: TimX24968B

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And how is that a flaw if the devs ensure it's not intrusive? Most games avoid using the dpad because the developers know the issues with the dpad on the switch. And lets be honest. How many games use a dapad for main controls, in 2017, and I mean running jumping, your movement options?

So yes, it is a flaw, a flaw that was fixed with a optional controller. Coupling that with the fact that that very few games use the dpad to a extreme extent, if not none. Shouldn't really be a big deal breaker shouldn't it? And also, it's not a stock tergra, it's close to stock but people have found out that there is SOME modifications to the chip.

And again I'm asking, why are you here. If your going to hate in a post that doesn't have anything to do with switch flaws. Isn't that blatantly bashing? And guess what, I own quite a few consoles. A playstation 2, a xbox 360, xbox one. a wii that is now busted. a wiiu, switch, a single handheld, a 3ds. Here is the reason I said sonyfanboy. Because it's the sonyfanboys that start the issues. I'm I going to say the switch is pefect? hell no. But I'm I willing to understand why something is built a certain way? yes. And the reason the dpad, is not a dpad. Was for split joy con play. Using one joy con and a friend using the other. At least Nintendo still allows local play, unlike most other companies. And what I mean by that is, there a few games on the other platforms that support splitscreen or some sort of local multiplayer that doesn't require a second console. And if you have enough money to buy more than one console. You have more then enough money to buy a pro controller, that has a decent dpad.
OK, I'll try to be as clear as possible here so hopefully you aren't going to respond based on irrelevant assumptions..

My original reply was to someone who said the Switch was perfect for handheld emulation. I simply said it had a poor Dpad for such purposes. It really shouldn't be a contentious issue that a good Dpad is essential for emulating nearly all older systems. That's it. The End. I wasn't trying to molest or hurt the device so your leap to it's defence as a gaming system in general was a total overreaction.

The reason these threads end up off topic like this is because the original question has been answered so many times already and people get bored. There is some sort of narcissism epidemic going around as people seem to think that they are special and if they ask the same question they will get a different answer than everybody else.

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: Frysenberg
D

Deleted User

OK, I'll try to be as clear as possible here so hopefully you aren't going to respond based on irrelevant assumptions..

My original reply was to someone who said the Switch was perfect for handheld emulation. I simply said it had a poor Dpad for such purposes. It really shouldn't be a contentious issue that a good Dpad is essential for emulating nearly all older systems. That's it. The End. I wasn't trying to molest or hurt the device so your leap to it's defence as a gaming system in general was a total overreaction.

The reason these threads end up off topic like this is because the original question has been answered so many times already and people get bored. There is some sort of narcissism epidemic going around as people seem to think that they are special and if they ask the same question they will get a different answer than everybody else.
well, I'm pretty sure devs could just support the anlog stick. But i see your point.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

honestly if handheld emulation is what ur trying to get the most out of, may i suggest those portable consoles that are console specific? they work the best in terms of emulation for their respective console, and they can be bought online. not to mention, having physical copies of games looks good in a collection.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well, I'm pretty sure devs could just support the anlog stick. But i see your point.
It turns out that it's a trivial job to mod in a proper Dpad so my point was moot after all.
honestly if handheld emulation is what ur trying to get the most out of, may i suggest those portable consoles that are console specific? they work the best in terms of emulation for their respective console, and they can be bought online. not to mention, having physical copies of games looks good in a collection.
Again, I'm pretty much set in terms of the kinds of systems I'm into. Between the Vita, PSP, 3DS and I think I even still have a GP2X somewhere, there are a plethora of emulators for almost anything. My Switch will be for first party gaming for the next couple years at least.

D

Deleted-355425

All firmwares will be exploitable but the new thing is 3.0.0 and below for the time being. Devs are having fun with this new console and the entry point that’s easily accessible is 3.0.0 and under. Once that’s cracked wide open and public and the 3.0.0 consoles are no longer available then I’m sure Devs will start looking to crack higher firmwares.

Reactions: peteruk
D

Deleted User

It turns out that it's a trivial job to mod in a proper Dpad so my point was moot after all.

Again, I'm pretty much set in terms of the kinds of systems I'm into. Between the Vita, PSP, 3DS and I think I even still have a GP2X somewhere, there are a plethora of emulators for almost anything. My Switch will be for first party gaming for the next couple years at least.
deleted

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah at least we can have hack free gen 8 pokemon i don't except this toe get hacked to the level of the 3ds im also assuming they will console ban you like they did on the 360 if you mod your switch and try to play online. They just don't allow you to back up your saves with your switch which is annoying so unlike the 3ds if your console breaks you will also lose saves for physical games as well.

Last edited by SoslanVanWieren,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place. +1