So I'll be upgrading to Windows 10 after all

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured it went the way of the dinosaurs after Microsoft resurrected the Start Menu with Windows 10.

They kinda sorta have a start menu in 10, but it's still not the same as like Windows 95-7. Classic shell lets you keep the Start Menu working the way it did in prior versions.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your best off doing a clean install and a fresh install of your favorite apps, everything will run better and be less glitchy. Plus if your worried about space this will be the least amount of space you can use.

Windows 10 is fine, you might have to fight with it a little at first but after you learn it, it's not very different than Windows 7.
(I do use a privacy program, and remove a few apps with CCleaner though, and there is some settings that I would advise changing to make things more like 7, also install Classic Shell.... It's a must.)

Anyway 10 is better in some ways, 7 is better in others. Classic Shell being a required install pisses me off but "This is my life now" at least I can make it work like 7.

Edit: Also yeah no matter where a game or app is installed, unless it runs from a folder... You will have to reinstall it under any OS as far as I know.

I'd rather not have to re-enter my passwords, re-syncing all my Chrome bookmarks, passwords if I don't have to. Why is it absolutely necessary to start fresh? And no, I don't want to wipe my hard drive, if that's what you're saying. Can I clean install 10 without formatting? The main thing it having to reinstall Steam games, unless I merely point Steam to where the games are and have them reconfigured?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather not have to re-enter my passwords, re-syncing all my Chrome bookmarks, passwords if I don't have to. Why is it absolutely necessary to start fresh? And no, I don't want to wipe my hard drive, if that's what you're saying. Can I clean install 10 without formatting?

If you are logged into Chrome, all your bookmarks and passwords are safe. Just download Chrome and sign in and you should be golden for most things. Last time I upgradded Chrome even auto downloaded my theme and my addons I had installed before.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are logged into Chrome, all your bookmarks and passwords are safe. Just download Chrome and sign in and you should be golden for most things. Last time I upgradded Chrome even auto downloaded my theme and my addons I had installed before.

And my Steam games? I have them in libraries across both HDDs, I would rather not have to reinstall those, including Source Filmmaker? I'd rather not take up additional HDD space, or do I just tell Steam where to find the games?

Why do I have to do a clean install? I don't want to wipe my HDD with a fresh install.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And my Steam games? I have them in libraries across both HDDs, I would rather not have to reinstall those, including Source Filmmaker? I'd rather not take up additional HDD space, or do I just tell Steam where to find the games?

That's what some one posted before, I personally have no clue about that... I just download the Steam Games I am playing right now and the rest can sit in limbo for all eternity for all I care. If space is something your worried about games that you are not currently playing are a huge waste of space.

But if what they say is true you probably just go into the options and click something that probably says something to the effect of "Find my steam games now!"

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what some one posted before, I personally have no clue about that... I just download the Steam Games I am playing right now and the rest can sit in limbo for all eternity for all I care. If space is something your worried about games that you are not currently playing are a huge waste of space.

But if what they say is true you probably just go into the options and click something that probably says something to the effect of "Find my steam games now!"

Then please answer the part about fresh install vs. keep my apps when I upgrade. Why do I have to do a fresh install when the other option is available? I don't want to have to format anything with fresh.

I mean, surely, it can't be THAT bad doing a simple upgrade with keeping the installed apps intact, I'd rather not go through a PITA process.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then please answer the part about fresh install vs. keep my apps when I upgrade. Why do I have to do a fresh install when the other option is available? I don't want to have to format anything with fresh.

I mean, surely, it can't be THAT bad doing a simple upgrade with keeping the installed apps intact, I'd rather not go through a PITA process.

I have done a few upgrade installs of Windows in my time on this earth... The number of them that I didn't have to go back and do a clean install all too soon (less than 6 months in most cases) ? Zero... It never ends well, there is always some issue... Sometimes you get lucky and most everything will work fine and you can get by for a bit until your system pukes and forces you to do a clean install, and at that point you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner... Performance will always 100% of the time be better on a fresh install VS an upgrade.

Also the reason everyone is saying to back your shit up before doing an upgrade? It's because yeah it can go that far south. I have had machines I tried to do an upgrade on, simply just refuse to boot and at that point had to do a clean install anyway.

There is a lot of reasons any tech worth their salt will recommend a fresh install over an upgrade. You can do the upgrade if you want but know that even if it does work out for you in the best possible way, a fresh install would still perform better.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have done a few upgrade installs of Windows in my time on this earth... The number of them that I didn't have to go back and do a clean install all too soon (less than 6 months in most cases) ? Zero... It never ends well, there is always some issue... Sometimes you get lucky and most everything will work fine and you can get by for a bit until your system pukes and forces you to do a clean install, and at that point you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner... Performance will always 100% of the time be better on a fresh install VS an upgrade.

Also the reason everyone is saying to back your shit up before doing an upgrade? It's because yeah it can go that far south. I have had machines I tried to do an upgrade on, simply just refuse to boot and at that point had to do a clean install anyway.

There is a lot of reasons any tech worth their salt will recommend a fresh install over an upgrade. You can do the upgrade if you want but know that even if it does work out for you in the best possible way, a fresh install would still perform better.

But what of my data? If I do a clean install, it deletes the whole damn thing, only way I suppose is making a new partition and installing on that, isolating it from the rest, I don't know. *Sigh* Dammit, I was afraid of this.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what of my data? If I do a clean install, it deletes the whole damn thing, only way I suppose is making a new partition and installing on that, isolating it from the rest, I don't know. *Sigh* Dammit, I was afraid of this.

If you have more than one drive in your system. (I have like 4 lol) you store what you can on your non C drive. Pictures, music, roms, work, that kind of stuff on like drive D. You only keep your installed crap on C, that way when you need to you can blow out your OS and have a fresh install with minimal work. I have some folders that when I do this, I just create a shortcut on my desktop to those folders I use. That way if I need to reinstall Windows, just download Chrome, Steam, and a few other apps and recreate those shortcuts.. Done.

but yeah your going to have to do some work either way, the best you can do is plan accordingly and minimize it.

Edit: To put it in perspective, I have almost 8TB's of storage on my machine and my C drive accounts for 480GB's of that, in that space I have literally millions of files... Many of them compressed renamed or in some way edited by me over years of use. I have them all backed up on like 3 large external USB drives... Just in case. I don't want to have to do that work again ever lol

Last edited by Psionic Roshambo,
Reactions: VinsCool

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have more than one drive in your system. (I have like 4 lol) you store what you can on your non C drive. Pictures, music, roms, work, that kind of stuff on like drive D. You only keep your installed crap on C, that way when you need to you can blow out your OS and have a fresh install with minimal work. I have some folders that when I do this, I just create a shortcut on my desktop to those folders I use. That way if I need to reinstall Windows, just download Chrome, Steam, and a few other apps and recreate those shortcuts.. Done.

but yeah your going to have to do some work either way, the best you can do is plan accordingly and minimize it.

So it would be better for me to make a new partition on the second HDD, say 70 GB or so, install 10 to that and leave the other data intact. May have to reinstall apps, IDK, but I will need to somehow remember my stupid passwords for Skype, etc *sigh* damn.

I refuse to format the entire HDD.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it would be better for me to make a new partition on the second HDD, say 70 GB or so, install 10 to that and leave the other data intact. May have to reinstall apps, IDK, but I will need to somehow remember my stupid passwords for Skype, etc *sigh* damn.

I refuse to format the entire HDD.

Well if you can scrape together like 50 bucks and watch Newegg often they have some decent SSD's on there what would be larger than 70GB's lol

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313864

Here you will think you got a super computer.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you can scrape together like 50 bucks and watch Newegg often they have some decent SSD's on there what would be larger than 70GB's lol

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313864

Here you will think you got a super computer.

I'd...rather not have to spend any more than I need to, I need a new PSU because mine can't even run a bloody 960 GTX GPU without my computer shizzing itself (which it did, it can't even boot up with it plugged in, 650 W is apparently underpowered for it, and I have a 660 GTX). But I digress. I need a new PSU, maybe a new tower, ugh, not gonna lie, I'm actually stressing out about this big time.:O:unsure:

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte