Hacking So.....I updated my GW EmuNAND to 8.x.....

ELok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And I'm not too in the mood to wait for the new GW patch.

I was thinking about reformatting my EmuNAND to 4.5 but I'm not sure about the consequence.

So I'm asking you, my dear GBATEMP community, what are the reason why I shouldn't reset my EmuNAND. Am I risking to lose save? Will some of my game will become incompatible? etc.

bartimeaus91

Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Search for this "EmuNand" tool. Next time create backups of your emunand so you can restore emunand when required.

ELok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Search for this "EmuNand" tool. Next time create backups of your emunand so you can restore emunand when required.

Nah, next time I'll just check more carefully in the forum instead of blindly checking the GBATEMP's homepage and thinking that if there was a problem there would be some big, red warning text somewhere in the post.

ShocWave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No point in using emunand at the moment since updating from 4.5 to 8.0 doesn't work. So formatting your SD card is pointless, unless that is the only SD card you have lying around.
If you have a small SD card lying around, just slap launcher.dat along with your save files and use Gateway without emunand until they come up with a fix.

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
One other thing... If you have made purchases on EmuNAND, you will lose those purchases...
I think that purchases that exist on the SD (not the emunand) will work with the sysnand as long as each particular title requires firmware <= 4.x to launch.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that purchases that exist on the SD (not the emunand) will work with the sysnand as long as each particular title requires firmware <= 4.x to launch.

It's not quite that easy, since it will require re-downloading those purchases. And that requires eShop access, which requires 8.0 firmware.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And it requires the purchase tickets, which will be lost with a format too.

I did some basic Google searching and couldn't find any concrete info on what purchase tickets are and what they do. Do you have a source where I can read up on this (or just tell me about them)?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I did some basic Google searching and couldn't find any concrete info on what purchase tickets are and what they do. Do you have a source where I can read up on this (or just tell me about them)?
I'll be frank... I am not 100% sure of myself here and I don't have a source. I read about this here on GBAtemp.
When you buy something from the eShop, it'll store a ticket somewhere on the NAND, which is basically like a receipt. If you want to download something from the eShop, it checks if you have this receipt and then allows you to download. Otherwise, you'll need to purchase it again since you have no proof of purchase.
This is also the reason why it deletes your games you bought on EmuNAND when you go to data management in the system NAND. It won't have these tickets on the system NAND but does see downloaded games. Seeing how you don't have the receipt for these games, it deletes them.

Reactions: loco365

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
I'll be frank... I am not 100% sure of myself here and I don't have a source. I read about this here on GBAtemp.
When you buy something from the eShop, it'll store a ticket somewhere on the NAND, which is basically like a receipt. If you want to download something from the eShop, it checks if you have this receipt and then allows you to download. Otherwise, you'll need to purchase it again since you have no proof of purchase.
This is also the reason why it deletes your games you bought on EmuNAND when you go to data management in the system NAND. It won't have these tickets on the system NAND but does see downloaded games. Seeing how you don't have the receipt for these games, it deletes them.
sounds a lot like how the wii dealt with content. if you had the "tik" it would show as purchased in shop channel so you could re-download it

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The tickets are also apparently checked online when you connect to the internet to see if they are valid for the system, I believe this was to prevent say person A downloading a bunch of eshop titles, then making a NAND and SD backup doing a system transfer to another 3ds then restoring the old NAND dump and sd contents so he effectively cloned the games, while it does indeed work offline, when the original 3ds connects online it will notice those "tickets" where transferred and deletes them again, this is just from info I read on here so I'm not sure if it happens if you connect to eshop or just if the console is online at all

Basically any content without a ticket is effectively useless, if the ticket system didn't exist it would be as simple as coping the files off the SD card then doing a system transfer and copying them back on afterwards, with no offline way of the system checking if it's all legit

Reactions: IronClouds

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh.... i thought that the implementation of NNID would let us re-download something. Stupid nintendo. Take your customers money but dont give them a way to download their files again. I get the transfer to another 3ds things being a worry for them but still. If i buy something i should be entitled to be able to re-download it since something may go wrong and a format is the only way to fix it.

Reactions: IronClouds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans