Hacking So I have my Gateway card and everything else I need. What do I do now?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i'm using an adapter, and yes I check and the switch is not on lock.

Could it just be that the SD Card Adapter is old and crappy? I can't think of anything else other than that

Put a piece of scotch tape over the adapter where it completely covers the slot and see if that fixes the issue

MonkeyWithAGun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i'm using an adapter, and yes I check and the switch is not on lock.

Could it just be that the SD Card Adapter is old and crappy? I can't think of anything else other than that

well is it showing up on the computer? you just cant write to it, right?

two things,

1: right click on disk and go to properties -> General tab -> attribute -> and uncheck the box that says read only.

2: Open the Start menu and click the Search feature. Type "Regedit" and then double-click the registry editor icon.

Navigate through the registry editor's folders to the sub-folder named "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies."
Right-click the registry key labeled "Write Protect" and choose "Edit."
Click inside the "Value" text box.
Delete the current value and type "0."
Click "OK."
Close the registry editor and attempt to open or change one of the SD card's files again.

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In guiformat it shows this. With windows whenever I try to format it it brings up the window that formatting will delete all the data and then after clicking Ok a message pops up saying "The disk is write protected"

Also on an unrelated note. Would you also happen to have a guide that shows how to play DS and GBA games on the Blue cart? (I have an R4 Gold coming in anyways, so i'll probably switch to that unless you recommend using the blue cart over it)

d1b6c78b8998a19e697279df7a8e5c55.jpg

MonkeyWithAGun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In guiformat it shows this. With windows whenever I try to format it it brings up the window that formatting will delete all the data and then after clicking Ok a message pops up saying "The disk is write protected"

Also on an unrelated note. Would you also happen to have a guide that shows how to play DS and GBA games on the Blue cart? (I have an R4 Gold coming in anyways, so i'll probably switch to that unless you recommend using the blue cart over it)

d1b6c78b8998a19e697279df7a8e5c55.jpg

try and do the 2 steps right above you, one of the should take it out of read only mode

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

two things,

1: right click on disk and go to properties -> General tab -> attribute -> and uncheck the box that says read only.

2: Open the Start menu and click the Search feature. Type "Regedit" and then double-click the registry editor icon.

Navigate through the registry editor's folders to the sub-folder named "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies."
Right-click the registry key labeled "Write Protect" and choose "Edit."
Click inside the "Value" text box.
Delete the current value and type "0."
Click "OK."
Close the registry editor and attempt to open or change one of the SD card's files again.

There is no attributes option under the general tab and withing the registry editor there is not folder named StorageDevicePolicies

cyb0rg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When I was using http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm - I ran into that issue.

Closing all folders (after ensuring I was going to format the correct drive) resolved it.

MonkeyWithAGun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the lock thing is weird. what adapter are you using for the microssd cards?
There is no attributes option under the general tab and withing the registry editor there is not folder named StorageDevicePolicies
2. Go to Start > Run > type in: regedit > hit enter. On the dialog box that opens up navigate to the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Find the entry named "WriteProtect" if the value is set to 0x00000001 (1), double click it and set the value to zero.

Reboot your computer and try your flash drive.

Note: if you don't have the StorageDevicePolicies folder, it might do good to create it and then create a DWORD key inside called WriteProtect and set it to zero.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One other thing while windows thinks about booting back up.....you said the adapter is old. I have never purchased a mSD that did not come with an SD adapter. We're you refering to an old crappy card reader?

MonkeyWithAGun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One other thing while windows thinks about booting back up.....you said the adapter is old. I have never purchased a mSD that did not come with an SD adapter. We're you refering to an old crappy card reader?

true!

if you have an sd reader on your computer, use an SD MicroSd adapter. Usually they come with them, but i saw yours that they didnt. By the way, thats gonna be a sweet setup. once you get passed this.

Are you planning on installing cia's?

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
true!

if you have an sd reader on your computer, use an SD MicroSd adapter. Usually they come with them, but i saw yours that they didnt. By the way, thats gonna be a sweet setup. once you get passed this.

Are you planning on installing cia's?

I am planning on installing cia's, that's why I got a 64GB Card for the 3DS as well.

I created a folder called StorageDevicePolicies in the directory it was supposed to be in and created the DWORD named WriteProtect and the value was automatically set to 0

Still not letting me format :(

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I am planning on installing cia's, that's why I got a 64GB Card for the 3DS as well.

I created a folder called StorageDevicePolicies in the directory it was supposed to be in and created the DWORD named WriteProtect and the value was automatically set to 0

Still not letting me format :(

Just go out and get a new MicroSD adapter. That should solve all your problems.

Also, make sure you're using a good quality branded card reader and not those shitty cheap chinese ones. They tend to break MicroSD cards. A member known as satel had a lot of issues with that.

Really it works. I read online that it works up to 32 gb.

They do work but you need to format them to fat32. I also read here on GBAtemp that while doing so, the read/write speeds on your 64 Gb drop down to pretty bad speeds.

So all in all, I would not recommend a 64 Gb card for your N3DS, unless someone proves me otherwise :)

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also, make sure you're using a good quality branded card reader and not those shitty cheap chinese ones. They tend to break MicroSD cards. A member known as satel had a lot of issues with that.

It's an official sandisk one, i've just been using it for a long time.

Is there anyway to use an old android phone as a reader and format it like that?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first started using my gateway I was using the Sd reader on my hp printer. I was getting all kinds of errors. Not showing up in file explorer, blank multi menu on DS, etc. I ran to Wally world and bought an $8 Targus usb reader and all my problems went away.

They do work but you need to format them to fat32. I also read here on GBAtemp that while doing so, the read/write speeds on your 64 Gb drop down to pretty bad speeds.

So all in all, I would not recommend a 64 Gb card for your N3DS, unless someone proves me otherwise :)

True performance takes a hit with fat32 but that is really only a problem loading up the card with files from the computer and is a relatively rare occurance. Game play is fine. So if you want to be a rom whore like my family then you need space 64gB cards give the best bang for your buck right now. 90MB UHC-3 cards are overkill but then again they can be repurposed with other modern electronics and that might not be the case with a standard class 6 or 10' card.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.