Hacking So appaerntly Amazon has a super cluster you can rent out?

Bearpowers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was asking around for a good way to bruteforce 3DS keys and apparently Amazon has a super cluster they rent out.

Has anyone considered renting out a large cluster for the sake of bruteforcing 3DS keys?

Bearpowers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
I'm sure bruteforcing keys is against the TOS, so depending on how well they enforce it, it wouldn't be worth it.
Amazons?

I am sure there are other people who sell Clusters and I am sure one won't care.

When you first buy a 3DS you don't immediately sign a contract, I am sure there is some legal loophole you can use.

Correct me if I am wrong

Keva

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I never knew Amazon did this
mellow.gif
but yea.. I really don't think brute forcing the key is a viable option. There's a better chance of the key getting leaked.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Bearpowers said:
TwinRetro said:
I'm sure bruteforcing keys is against the TOS, so depending on how well they enforce it, it wouldn't be worth it.
Amazons?

I am sure there are other people who sell Clusters and I am sure one won't care.

When you first buy a 3DS you don't immediately sign a contract, I am sure there is some legal loophole you can use.

Correct me if I am wrong

Anyone renting out a cluster wouldn't want the legal trouble of you doing illegal things with their equipment. You won't find anyone willing to take that risk. Especially for something as trivial as hacking a handheld console.

Bearpowers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keva said:
mellow.gif
but yea.. I really don't think brute forcing the key is a viable option. There's a better chance of the key getting leaked.
But you could wait over a year for a leak.

While a solid cluster could do this in a month if you had the money.

ultimatt42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bearpowers said:
Keva said:
mellow.gif

Proof? Do we even know what strength the encryption is?

Bearpowers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ultimatt42 said:
Bearpowers said:
Keva said:
mellow.gif

If you could get 10k+ PCs I doubt the encryption would matter much anymore.

Bearpowers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
This is funny. Quit thinking seriously about bruteforcing any keys. No key on the Wii/DS/PSP/PS3 scene has ever been bruteforced.
Because no one has felt like spending thousands of dollars on a large cluster.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Bearpowers said:
WiiBricker said:
This is funny. Quit thinking seriously about bruteforcing any keys. No key on the Wii/DS/PSP/PS3 scene has ever been bruteforced.
Because no one has felt like spending thousands of dollars on a large cluster.

And why would that change now? Especially since you can lose all that work if the company you rent out that cluster from shuts it all down for violation of the T&C

ultimatt42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bearpowers said:
ultimatt42 said:
Bearpowers said:
Keva said:
mellow.gif

You are so, so wrong.

Okay, so let's assume they use the same strength encryption that the DSi used for the common key. 128-bit, right? That means there are 2^128 possible keys. Brute forcing means you try each one and see if it works. Pretty simple.

So say we have the 10,000 most awesome computers in the world. They're all 10 GHz ten-core beasts. (It makes the math easier, okay?) That gives us... 10,000 * 10 cores, each of which can do 10,000,000,000 operations per second, so in total our cluster can do 1,000,000,000,000,000 (1 quadrillion) operations per second. And let's suppose these mythical CPUs are able to test a key in a single clock cycle! 1 quadrillion keys tested per second. How long would it take to test all 2^128 keys?

Well, 2^128 is 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 keys, divided by 1 quadrillion is... 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,375 seconds. 11 quadrillion years. Roughly 80,000 times the age of the universe.

Trying to brute force a 128-bit key is hopeless, and that's why no one who actually has the expertise to make it happen will ever take the idea seriously.

Bearpowers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ultimatt42 said:
Bearpowers said:
ultimatt42 said:
Bearpowers said:
Keva said:
mellow.gif

You are so, so wrong.

Okay, so let's assume they use the same strength encryption that the DSi used for the common key. 128-bit, right? That means there are 2^128 possible keys. Brute forcing means you try each one and see if it works. Pretty simple.

So say we have the 10,000 most awesome computers in the world. They're all 10 GHz ten-core beasts. (It makes the math easier, okay?) That gives us... 10,000 * 10 cores, each of which can do 10,000,000,000 operations per second, so in total our cluster can do 1,000,000,000,000,000 (1 quadrillion) operations per second. And let's suppose these mythical CPUs are able to test a key in a single clock cycle! 1 quadrillion keys tested per second. How long would it take to test all 2^128 keys?

Well, 2^128 is 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 keys, divided by 1 quadrillion is... 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,375 seconds. 11 quadrillion years. Roughly 80,000 times the age of the universe.

Trying to brute force a 128-bit key is hopeless, and that's why no one who actually has the expertise to make it happen will ever take the idea seriously.
I just got told hard.

You're right and I am wrong, simple as that.

paul1991returns

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm not mistaken, the key for the DS phat/lite was brute forced.

Somebody made an application that turned computers into an internet based super-computer, similar to folding-at-home.
The computers were all connected, so the same key was never tired twice.

The key was found after about 83% of the possible keys were tried.

I could be wrong, but I read an article a while back that chronicled the early days of the DS hacking scene (before the kiddies got involved) and it discussed the above.

EDIT: I should clarify that I think it is not practical and a bad idea. I am just correcting WiiPower's post from earlier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.