So after a month, how much BoTW do you play?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by alexj9626, Apr 7, 2017.

1. alexj9626
    OP

alexj9626 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 2, 2016
    The game has been out for a month now. Is it dead? I mean, you guys played it like crazy for the first days and after 100+ hours, what happened? Are you still playing it a lot? Did it get boring?

Im buying the game next week, and i think i wont get any other game in like a month (Mario Kart 8 i think). Would it be enough?

2. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I'm still picking away at it. I have work and shit. I only got about 85 shrines and two of the four divine beasts done.

alexj9626 likes this.
  3. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    On the Switch it says I played it for 104hrs. I don't play it anymore, I got bored of it overall and now I've been playing two Japanese demos; Puyo Puyo Tetris and the Japanese Spelunker.

The "Japanese Spelunker" can be rather annoying because, if you fall even if not too deep you die, if you jump too high, you die and if the meter runs out, you die. It's fun but can be also irritating.

SIX10, alexj9626 and s157 like this.
  4. j0hnnyj0hns

j0hnnyj0hns GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    BOTW is amazing main quest is really short though i have 65 shrines done and found 25 kook seeds and only 17% complete with the game i still play it on occasion not as much as i did before i beat the main quest

5. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    ive completed it havent played nowere near as much since however thats not to say there isnt a huge amount still left to do and keep me busy ,and yes i still get a hell of alot of hours out of it i can never put it down is my problem :P

6. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Only in spelunker you can die mid-air if you fall too far. It's like you get a heart attack in mid-air after seeing how far away the ground is. Haven't touched the game you were talking about but I've tried completing the original spelunker before.

Back on topic, I spent 118 hours on it and have about zero urge to go back to it. You get tired of walking around solving puzzles and looking for shrines/seeds. If I'm going to grind, at least let me grind bosses and the likes.

7. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I'm about half way through. Can't play over long periods cause I get uncomfortable.

8. rwn

rwn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2010
    United States
    cali...
    I haven't actually touched it in about a week... The game got absurdly repetitive quickly

invaderyoyo and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  9. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I put 100 hours in last week and there's nothing left to do. All shrines, side quests, shrine quests, main quests and pictures done with 100 seeds. Not getting the rest of them.

kingraa777 likes this.
  10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I got last weekend and I am still playing it. It's actually an open world game worth playing these days.

gameboy likes this.
  11. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    turns out ive played 115 hours :P

12. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Play it for about 40hrs.
    I dont play it much because i normally wait for my wife to be around to watch. But i still get it and do the side stuff.
    I either play zelda or issac when i play switch

13. alexj9626
    OP

Oct 2, 2016
    Thanks guys. So im kind of guy that thinks that a game these days should give you a lot of hours of gameplay cause i dont think is worth to buy something that you can play a whole week and then just drop it. For example, when i had my PS4 i loved Destiny, FIFA, etc, but i didnt like Mortal Kombat X, The Division, etc cause those were games that you can play a couple days and then gets boring.

The thing is, after the initial hype, is BoTW really worth it? Would i want to play it in 2 months from now?

gameboy likes this.
  14. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    We can't decide that for you.. It's more like Skyrim for me.. In terms of size and replayability.

15. alexj9626
    OP

Oct 2, 2016
    Can you elaborate?

16. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Things to do.. It does get repetitive.. But you liked destiny.. And it's not as repetitive as that grind fest.

alexj9626 likes this.
  17. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Normally replayability would insinuate that the game is worth playing through multiple times (like in skyrim, it could be worth playing multiple times depending on what factions you join and stuff). I don't know if there's a concrete definition for it.

BotW doesn't have much in the way of branching stories or quests. You look for stuff, then kill ganon. Or you can go straight to ganon. That being said, there's value in playing through it over, at least once if you enjoy challenges as you can try rushing to ganon straight and speedrunning the game.

There's a lot to do in this game, yet at the same time you don't need to do 99% of it to beat it. An odd choice, but one that's generally worked out well to the eyes of the many who have this.

18. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I think for gaming, replayability is just that.

I view it as something that allows me to keep playing the game. Depends..

19. alexj9626
    OP

Oct 2, 2016
    Lel, i know, but i think Destiny was different because online and i have a group of friends to play with so that helps a lot. If is just BoTW and me then i dont know.

Thanks, i know what that means, what i was trying to ask was his comparison with Skyrim in that category.

I cant think of a game that you need to do 100% of the things that you can do to complete it, but that doesnt mean that is gonna die right after you kill the final boss, like Metroid were you can kill Dark Samus and the only thing to do is get tanks and missiles.

What i mean if is the game would be atractive even after a couple of months.

Last edited by alexj9626, Apr 7, 2017
  20. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    I have finished it. Slowly playing some I Am Setsuna but stuck on PC gaming again :P