Homebrew Snes9xGX 4.3.2 build

masterflops

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I compiled Snes9xGX 4.3.2 from source using the latest libraries. It seems to access the disk much faster than the released binary.

devkitPPC_r27-x86-64-linux.tar.bz2
freetype-2.4.2-ppc.tar.bz2
libfat-1.0.14.tar.gz
libogc-1.8.12.tar.bz2
libpng-1.5.4-ppc.tar.bz2
mxml-2.6-ppc.tar.bz2
tremor-lowmem-ppc.tar.bz2
zlib-1.2.5-ppc.tar.bz2

I've uploaded it to http://www.megafileupload.com/9w40/snes9xgx-wii.dol

Reactions: ShadowOne333

masterflops

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know. I was getting a lot of lockups with the released version so I went and built this to see if it was better and it seems like it was. I spent a couple hours trying to get Snes9X 1.53 working but it looks like there's a bunch of changes that don't make it trivial to upgrade. I might try to get it working still, but I'm not familiar with the code base enough to understand why some of the code is organized the way it is.

There is a modded release here - https://gbatemp.net/threads/snes9xgx-mod-preview-wiiupro-screenshot-button.389448/

It seems the future is RetroArch but the UI for that is terrible.

Reactions: Tyson TH

masterflops

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No performance improvements, just more stable disk access (which is much faster now too). I was having trouble with lockups when I was saving/loading states with Super Mario World. I'm playing a little bit with the compiler flags to see if I can squeeze any more performance out of the Wii, but nothing obvious so far. I started playing Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island and the performance is dreadful.

I might have another go at integrating 1.53, but it'll take time and I might lose interest :)

masterflops

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those following at home, I've got 1.53 compiled and the menu loads but it won't load any games yet. I'll dig into the code and see what's breaking. If I can get it working, I'll submit my code upstream and maybe we'll have a new port.

Coding on Wii is new for me, so the main problem is figuring out how to debug when the program just exits.

Mr. Sparkle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I'm new to the homebrew scene. I had a friend of mine set my vWii up for me (homebrew channel, and a few apps such as USBLoader GX and emulators). I've since purchased a Wii so that when this update comes today I will be able to update my vWii and revert it to stock (hopefully) but have a Wii for homebrew and keep it offline.

My question is, why when I follow the WiiBrew link to download the latest versions of Snes9x GX and FCE Ultra GX are they not in a format that I can install? Are they code that needs to be compiled? The install instructions on the WiiBrew page say to copy the apps folder from the archive. I'm familiar with that installation procedure but there is no apps folder in the archive. I saw the top post here, and now I'm guessing that the files in the archive need to be compiled? I'm sorry of others have asked this before, but I did some searches in the forums and I couldn't find anything on my issue.

masterflops

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I'm new to the homebrew scene. I had a friend of mine set my vWii up for me (homebrew channel, and a few apps such as USBLoader GX and emulators). I've since purchased a Wii so that when this update comes today I will be able to update my vWii and revert it to stock (hopefully) but have a Wii for homebrew and keep it offline.

My question is, why when I follow the WiiBrew link to download the latest versions of Snes9x GX and FCE Ultra GX are they not in a format that I can install? Are they code that needs to be compiled? The install instructions on the WiiBrew page say to copy the apps folder from the archive. I'm familiar with that installation procedure but there is no apps folder in the archive. I saw the top post here, and now I'm guessing that the files in the archive need to be compiled? I'm sorry of others have asked this before, but I did some searches in the forums and I couldn't find anything on my issue.

This isn't the right thread for this question. To install the file I uploaded

mkdir apps
mkdir apps/snes9xgx
cp snes9x-gx.dol apps/snes9xgx/boot.dol

Mr. Sparkle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't the right thread for this question. To install the file I uploaded

mkdir apps
mkdir apps/snes9xgx
cp snes9x-gx.dol apps/snes9xgx/boot.dol

Ok, nice. I'm dual booting Windows 10 with Ubuntu so I know the Linux shell commands. Sorry for the noob post, I'll stick to the topic. Thanks man.

liljon042

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those following at home, I've got 1.53 compiled and the menu loads but it won't load any games yet. I'll dig into the code and see what's breaking. If I can get it working, I'll submit my code upstream and maybe we'll have a new port.

Coding on Wii is new for me, so the main problem is figuring out how to debug when the program just exits.
Have you gotten any progress as of late? This looks amazing and I'd love to have this

masterflops

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I started with the Snes9xGX codebase and pulled in Snes9X-1.53 but quite a bit of the internals changed and I think there's a problem in filebrowser.cpp relating to how paths are resolved and ROMs are loaded. Snes9xGX is really messy and has a lot of undocumented code. If you want to do a quick and dirty job, start in filebrowser.cpp and look at WiiFileLoader().

I then switched over to start with a clean Snes9x-1.53 codebase and tried to pull in changes from the Snes9xGX but again the Snes9xGX codebase is pretty convoluted and it's hard to see what needs to be modified to work. Specifically Snes9x-1.53 has a new LoadROMMem() that seems useful to load ROMS from a memory location rather than a pathname. This eliminates the need for a bunch of GX code used to decrypt 7z files and setup the ROM structure to load files from 7z archives. There's quite a few other internal changes in Snes9x-1.53 that are not trivial to integrate - the audio subsystem seems to have changed a bit (I think they pulled stuff in from bsnes).

At this point, I think the easiest way forward is to start over and read the snes9x-1.53 porting.html document and implement the necessary calls to the devkitPPC/libogc libraries. The main problem with this approach is that devkitPPC and libogc are pretty much undocumented. There are some tutorials but they are sufficient to teach you how to complete a project like this.

So in short, I think RetroArch is probably the way forward for SNES emulation on the Wii. I ended up playing SNES9X on my computer.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats great and all but how do you get the wii to run RetroArch 1.2.2 or any of the nightly's? every time I turn it on I am met with a black screen then the wii takes me back to the homebrew channel? im not exactly clear on how to set it up? can some one help me since there's no tutorial that I can find other then the wiki one thats for 0.999 or something like that! They give you all those cores and three folders and the boot.dol. Now I know the boot.dol goes in a folder in the apps folder so then where do all the cores go?

I've tried the newer nightly's and the stable builds and am greeted with the same results :(

Last edited by Centrix,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s