Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I suppose it's been asked a couple of times, but I was wondering if there would be any possible SNES Mouse or SNES Super Scope support in the future?

I think it would be doable, the SNES Super Scope has three buttons and a switch, the fire button, the cursor button, the pause button, and the turbo switch.
On any 3DS, something like tap to fire, L to use cursor, and d-pad to switch turbo would probably work.
New 3DS could have the luxury of using ZL to do something else, like if you wanted to fire with L whilst only using the touch screen to aim, and ZL acts as the cursor button.
Of course that would be a left handed setup, right handed is needed too.
The main issue then being that the emulator menu is normally opened with the touch screen, so you'd need something else.

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somehow I don't think mouse or super scope is going to be a thing. It'd be a very convoluted thing for just a handful of games. That said, BattleClash or Metal Combat would be fun on the go.

Last edited by ArtemisM,

ajfoucault

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose it's been asked a couple of times, but I was wondering if there would be any possible SNES Mouse or SNES Super Scope support in the future?

I think it would be doable, the SNES Super Scope has three buttons and a switch, the fire button, the cursor button, the pause button, and the turbo switch.
On any 3DS, something like tap to fire, L to use cursor, and d-pad to switch turbo would probably work.
New 3DS could have the luxury of using ZL to do something else, like if you wanted to fire with L whilst only using the touch screen to aim, and ZL acts as the cursor button.
Of course that would be a left handed setup, right handed is needed too.
The main issue then being that the emulator menu is normally opened with the touch screen, so you'd need something else.

Fully agree with this. SuperScope and Mouse support would be incredible, especially for games like Yoshi Safari and Mario Vs Wario, a couple of lesser-known gems.

Reactions: angelhp

leida0530

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello can you help me how to remove 3d from the emulator that the 3d slider will damage me it does not matter if it is down the next with the 3d activated there is some way to remove it thank you sorry with my english i am spanish.:)

HiroshiYamauchi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello can you help me how to remove 3d from the emulator that the 3d slider will damage me it does not matter if it is down the next with the 3d activated there is some way to remove it thank you sorry with my english i am spanish.:)

I don't know if i understood what you said, but i assume that your 3D slider is broken so you don't have a way to disable the 3D, is that what you mean?

sevo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is beyond awesome. Keep up the good work!

Looking forward to the ability to play all the major titles at full speed on my 2DS.

Wargla

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What are the advantages to save SRAM to SD regularly ?
I don't understand what is interesting with this setting as we have different slots to save in real time.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
What are the advantages to save SRAM to SD regularly ?
I don't understand what is interesting with this setting as we have different slots to save in real time.

Well, some of us prefer the authenticness of using SRAMs instead of save-states.

And only games that write to SRAM frequently will trigger the emulator to save the SRAM to SD frequently. Most games will only write SRAM when you actually save the game; and that's when the emulator will detect the change and write the change to your SD Card.

But some games use SRAM as work RAM for game logic, so it gets written into very often. But the emulator can't tell the difference between writing into the SRAM for game logic, or purely for saving, so it writes to SD Card.

It shouldn't be any problem, because you can easily disable auto SRAM saving from the options.

Sounds like your 3DS slider is really broken. I'm going a little slow with this emulator for a while, so it'll be a few weeks before I make any updates. In the meantime, you can consider using the v0.80 versions. It doesn't have the 3D enabled.

Fully agree with this. SuperScope and Mouse support would be incredible, especially for games like Yoshi Safari and Mario Vs Wario, a couple of lesser-known gems.

As @mkq9999 pointed out, mouse/superscope support is not really in my plans. :)

Reactions: ArtemisM and Wargla

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I feel like it'd be a missed opportunity given the 3DS has a touch screen, it would help make the emulator more complete so I hope you consider it in the future.

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would the touch screen be used for???

A virtual mouse/super scope cursor.

I feel like it'd be a missed opportunity given the 3DS has a touch screen, it would help make the emulator more complete so I hope you consider it in the future.

The emulator was never about being "complete", rather making SNES emulation viable on officially unsupported hardware. Function over form was the goal here, right?

Last edited by ArtemisM,
Reactions: BL4Z3D247

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
What titles don't work? I'd assume only stuff like Boktai that needs a solar sensor wouldn't work.
Some games need ROM-specific patching to get them working- SRAM patching for some games that don't save properly, RTC patching for games that include a real-time clock feature (Pokémon, etc).

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Someone needs to make a GBA emulator using this method so I can play Metroid Fusion on my old 3ds.

To properly emulate a system, the host system will have to be many times more powerful. As a rough gauge, the host should be something between 50-100 times more powerful (in terms of raw clock speed). I'm just throwing a figure here; it's not always true, but it's a ballpark that will tell you whether it's even worth thinking about it. The old 3DS is running at 266 MHz, 16 times more powerful than a GBA that runs at 16 MHz, so I probably won't even try.

As of now, either using VC or retroarch's GPSP (which recompiles the GBA code on the fly) are your best bets. Personally, I feel VC injection will be much better. That said, if you really need good compatibility emulation, probably mGBA on a new 3DS will work better.

Last edited by bubble2k16,

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
To properly emulate a system, the host system will have to be many times more powerful. As a rough gauge, the host should be something between 50-100 times more powerful (in terms of raw clock speed). I'm just throwing a figure here; it's not always true, but it's a ballpark that will tell you whether it's even worth thinking about it. The old 3DS is running at 266 MHz, 16 times more powerful than a GBA that runs at 16 MHz, so I probably won't even try.

As of now, either using VC or retroarch's GPSP (which recompiles the GBA code on the fly) are your best bets. Personally, I feel VC injection will be much better. That said, if you really need good compatibility emulation, probably mGBA on a new 3DS will work better.

Bubble any chance you are gonna work on a New3ds only gba Emu? :o

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm