Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
I tried, the SNESAdvance.gba file, you can't just drop it into the SD on the supercard, and the patcher doesn't patch it...it fails patch.

If anyone has gotten this to work on a Supercard, can you let me know how?

I looked all over the Supercard page and Dewdit's page on SNESAdvance...I did everything the way he said, but it didn't work out...like I said, it won't patch...

Well, anyways, if it can't be done, no major-huge great big issue, I have NES and GBA games on the Supercard, which is for use with my GBA SP....so, not the end of the world if we can't make it happen, because I CAN use my DS lite for it..but would still like to be able to do SNES, too.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, SNES games would be a bother, seeing as how the GBA is missing two buttons from its controller. I'd say you should just play them on your DS.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just run it through the patcher anyway, ignoring the fact that it says it will fail. Copy the output rom from the output directory to your card and try it.

Another good alternative to SNES Advance is Snezziboy, though with this one you can only have one game per *.gba file (drag-and-drop the game onto snezzi.exe to get your output file). With Snezziboy too you must run it through the SC patcher.

With both emulators, you'll want the latest SuperDAT file. This can be downloaded from http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3366

Here are some instructions I typed up long ago and saved away so I wouldn't have to waste time doing it again in the future. You may already know most of it, but it's still good info:
QUOTE said:
For SNES Advance:
1. Download the SNES Advance package from SNESadvance.org
2. Grab the updated SuperDAT file (snesadvance.dat) from http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3366 and use it to replace the old one
3. Build your games, trying a simple one that's known to work like Super Mario World. Note that if a game has an entry in the snesadvance.dat file you'll see an asterisk (*) next to its name.
4. Test it in VisualBoy Advance to make sure it worked.
5. In-game, press A+B+Start+Select to set your options

For Snezziboy:
1. Download v0.26 from the Sourceforge homepage
2. Rename snezzi.dat to something else
3. Grab the updated SuperDAT file (snesadvance.dat) from http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3366 and rename it to snezzi.dat
4. Open both database files in Notepad and turn off Word Wrap
5. The shorter list is the one that originally came with Snezziboy and contains some fixes specific to Snezziboy - every other game can use the fixes from SNES Advance. Therefore, copy the entries for the games you wish to play from the shorter list into your new snezzi.dat file to create an uber-list. Make sure you actually search for the old entries in the larger list and replace them with the entires from the shorter ones, don't just add them to the end.
6. Drag-and-drop your SNES game onto snezzi.exe and it will output a *.smc.gba file for you to test in VBA.
7. In-game, press L+R+Start to set your options. You'll definitely need to set these for every game (but only once). The background layers often need fiddling, but you can use the L+R+Select+Up button combo in-game to scroll through a few known "good" combinations.

More info on the various Snezziboy settings can be found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Snezziboy and I highly suggest you read it. Snezziboy appears at first glance to have horrible compatibility but usually you just have to fiddle with the settings to get a good number of games to work.

Compatibility lists for both emulators can be found here: SNES Advance, Snezziboy, Snezziboy #2.

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
Just run it through the patcher anyway, ignoring the fact that it says it will fail. Copy the output rom from the output directory to your card and try it.

Another good alternative to SNES Advance is Snezziboy, though with this one you can only have one game per *.gba file (drag-and-drop the game onto snezzi.exe to get your output file). With Snezziboy too you must run it through the SC patcher.

With both emulators, you'll want the latest SuperDAT file. This can be downloaded from http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3366

Here are some instructions I typed up long ago and saved away so I wouldn't have to waste time doing it again in the future. You may already know most of it, but it's still good info:
QUOTE said:
For SNES Advance:
1. Download the SNES Advance package from SNESadvance.org
2. Grab the updated SuperDAT file (snesadvance.dat) from http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3366 and use it to replace the old one
3. Build your games, trying a simple one that's known to work like Super Mario World. Note that if a game has an entry in the snesadvance.dat file you'll see an asterisk (*) next to its name.
4. Test it in VisualBoy Advance to make sure it worked.
5. In-game, press A+B+Start+Select to set your options

For Snezziboy:
1. Download v0.26 from the Sourceforge homepage
2. Rename snezzi.dat to something else
3. Grab the updated SuperDAT file (snesadvance.dat) from http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3366 and rename it to snezzi.dat
4. Open both database files in Notepad and turn off Word Wrap
5. The shorter list is the one that originally came with Snezziboy and contains some fixes specific to Snezziboy - every other game can use the fixes from SNES Advance. Therefore, copy the entries for the games you wish to play from the shorter list into your new snezzi.dat file to create an uber-list. Make sure you actually search for the old entries in the larger list and replace them with the entires from the shorter ones, don't just add them to the end.
6. Drag-and-drop your SNES game onto snezzi.exe and it will output a *.smc.gba file for you to test in VBA.
7. In-game, press L+R+Start to set your options. You'll definitely need to set these for every game (but only once). The background layers often need fiddling, but you can use the L+R+Select+Up button combo in-game to scroll through a few known "good" combinations.

More info on the various Snezziboy settings can be found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Snezziboy and I highly suggest you read it. Snezziboy appears at first glance to have horrible compatibility but usually you just have to fiddle with the settings to get a good number of games to work.

Compatibility lists for both emulators can be found here: SNES Advance, Snezziboy, Snezziboy #2.
Yup.
You Da Man, No Doubt!!
SNES works like you say on GBA, although the play seems slow, but I'm not complaining. Especially since it is Super Buster Bros. I'm playing. That game could USE a slowdown, LOL, now I can rack up better scores!

Also, yes, Supercard works drag and drop, with GB and GBC...I tested that.

With the SNES, you gotta do it a file at a time thru the SNES converter, then rename your output file, then run it thru the patcher, and it does work....but slow.

YOU DA MAN!!!

We need a special emoticon for that, anyone wanna try whipping something up?

We need a "YOU DA MAN" emote. And, to be fair, a "YOU DA WOMAN" emote.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Da-Bomb1 said:
Well, SNES games would be a bother, seeing as how the GBA is missing two buttons from its controller. I'd say you should just play them on your DS.

Agreed but it didn't stop people generating GBA SNES emulators. I believe if you hold L orR the A and B buttons become X and Y. Playthrough will obviously be slower since while the GBA is a lot more powerful than the SNES its just not really good enough to emulate it really well.

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Da-Bomb1 said:

Agreed but it didn't stop people generating GBA SNES emulators. I believe if you hold L orR the A and B buttons become X and Y. Playthrough will obviously be slower since while the GBA is a lot more powerful than the SNES its just not really good enough to emulate it really well.

Mostly, the games I like, it doesn't matter, much. Remember, I'm old-school. I'm not into lightning-fast shoot-em-up whatzits, like you young kids today are.
It's a generational thing, I guess, I JUST WANT THE GAMES OF MY GENERATION!!

That's why I LOVE it that you can play ATARI games on the DS.
There's something very dirtily joyous about using such a piece of high-tech....to deliver such deleriously wonderful low-tech games!!
yaynds.gif

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Wait. You have a DS and are wondering about GBA SNES Emus?!?! Use SNEmulDS it will be 10x better than any GBA Emu due to the controls!
But you don't understand.
I work the night shift. I need TWO machines...in order to keep me busy all night, and one machine doesn't hold power thru the whole night. So I have both a DS and a GBA SP that I take to work with me.

I work at an answering service, on night shift, and calls come in about once ever half-hour.

My boss knows I play these games at work, and ENCOURAGES IT....because it is essential I stay awake for when the phone DOES ring. That means it is a very critical call.

SO...mostly I get paid to sit around and play on my DS and GBA all night...and just answer a few phones.

NOW do you understand?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Kalisiin said:
Jamstruth said:
Wait. You have a DS and are wondering about GBA SNES Emus?!?! Use SNEmulDS it will be 10x better than any GBA Emu due to the controls!
I work the night shift. I need TWO machines...in order to keep me busy all night, and one machine doesn't hold power thru the whole night. So I have both a DS and a GBA SP that I take to work with me.

I work at an answering service, on night shift, and calls come in about once ever half-hour.

My boss knows I play these games at work, and ENCOURAGES IT....because it is essential I stay awake for when the phone DOES ring. That means it is a very critical call.

SO...mostly I get paid to sit around and play on my DS and GBA all night...and just answer a few phones.

NOW do you understand?

Are there no power outlets or USB ports where you work?

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Kalisiin said:
Jamstruth said:

NOW do you understand?

Are there no power outlets or USB ports where you work?
I do not own a USB charge cord, and no, all the available power outlets are taken up, with the many computer and telephonic equipment our company uses. Besides...I don't like being hooked to ANYTHING when I am playing. I would find a cord highly annoying.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the explanation, I guess I should'nt have snapped at you like that. If only the DS had an adaptor to let you use AAs it would be perfect since you could charge up a bunch then take them with you like you can with a GBA (original)
A USB charge cable might be an idea though

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Thanks for the explanation, I guess I should'nt have snapped at you like that. If only the DS had an adaptor to let you use AAs it would be perfect since you could charge up a bunch then take them with you like you can with a GBA (original)
A USB charge cable might be an idea though
We're good. No problem.
Yeah, would be nice, but...ah, well.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNES Advance supports adding more than one game per *.gba compilation (though this will obviously increase loading time on the Supercard). Snezziboy only has one SNES game per GBA file. And yes, very few games run at full speed, though getting the updated SuperDAT helps quite a bit for both emulators. Speedhacks are actually very simple - SNES games run at a fixed 60 fps, so when the game is done doing all its work in a single frame, it just sits there in an idle loop waiting for the next frame to come along. If we can find that loop, we can skip it, thus speeding up emulation since we don't bother emulating instructions that don't do anything. The issue is that each speedhack must be found manually (there is an automatic tool but it doesn't work too well). It looks like Super Buster Bros. already has a speedhack, but I can take a look at it if I get the time.

EDIT: Regarding power: I bought a simple battery compartment from Radio Shack that holds 4 AA batteries, then wired it up to the wires of a DS car charger that I cut in the middle. I can then recharge my DS about twice on a set of 4 AA batteries, which is very convenient for exactly your situation when you don't have access to a power plug for extended periods of time.

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
SNES Advance supports adding more than one game per *.gba compilation (though this will obviously increase loading time on the Supercard). Snezziboy only has one SNES game per GBA file. And yes, very few games run at full speed, though getting the updated SuperDAT helps quite a bit for both emulators. Speedhacks are actually very simple - SNES games run at a fixed 60 fps, so when the game is done doing all its work in a single frame, it just sits there in an idle loop waiting for the next frame to come along. If we can find that loop, we can skip it, thus speeding up emulation since we don't bother emulating instructions that don't do anything. The issue is that each speedhack must be found manually (there is an automatic tool but it doesn't work too well). It looks like Super Buster Bros. already has a speedhack, but I can take a look at it if I get the time.

EDIT: Regarding power: I bought a simple battery compartment from Radio Shack that holds 4 AA batteries, then wired it up to the wires of a DS car charger that I cut in the middle. I can then recharge my DS about twice on a set of 4 AA batteries, which is very convenient for exactly your situation when you don't have access to a power plug for extended periods of time.
Coolness. And good idea re: power.
Still, I want to be able to spend all 8-12 hours I am working...playing games. And the batteries for just one system don't hold enough juice to do it, that's why I carry two game units with me to work. Yet one more reason why PORTABILITY is a huge issue for me.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah, that's exactly what the device is for. I might not have explained it very well, so here's a picture:
sd532986.jpg

With this, I can play a DS for a really long time since I've got a way to recharge it without a power outlet. A set of 4 batteries tends to last for two full recharges of my DS before I need to get new ones.

Just throwing it out there as an option rather than bringing two separate systems with you for the sake of battery life.

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
Well yeah, that's exactly what the device is for. I might not have explained it very well, so here's a picture:
sd532986.jpg

With this, I can play a DS for a really long time since I've got a way to recharge it without a power outlet. A set of 4 batteries tends to last for two full recharges of my DS before I need to get new ones.

Just throwing it out there as an option rather than bringing two separate systems with you for the sake of battery life.
Thanks.
But, see, that's also why I'm so into portability. Because I carry two different systems.
I take this huge canvas tote bag to work...in it, there are my two gaming systems, my purse, my cigarettes (yes we get to smoke in the office because everyone in the whole office smokes, so we told the state to take their law and shove it) my music CD's (well, they are, of course, actually MP3's, but...) all that and some snack food like maybe donuts or chips or cookies...and I'm good for my overnight shift.
If it's cold, the other hand has coffee...and if it isn't, then I get my blue Mountain Dew.
In short, I have what is probably every person on this forum's dream job.

Basically, I get paid to listen to music, smoke, eat, drink, play video games...and answer a phone about once every half hour. The thing is, though, staying awake for when that call comes in...and knowing how to handle it is critical, since often I am dealing with life/death situations on those calls. For example, someone having a heart attack calling their doctor. If I don't get that call, or handle it right, someone might die. That's why staying awake...is really what I get paid for.

And any means I can use to stay awake...my boss approves of.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which I understand. I'm just trying to give you an option so you don't have to carry two systems. You can just carry the DS, which can play GBA games as it is, and use that all night and take advantage of the DS's greater SNES emulation capabilities. Ah well, that's about all I've got.

J B L

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I use snesadvance.exe to build the SNESAdvance.gba file, when I try to load the rom with VisualBoyAdvance, it gets "stuck" in the menu, all buttons are non-responsive. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. Any and all help is appreciated.

TIA,
JBL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs