Homebrew SNEmulDS Question

HEARDATBEAT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could this great emulator ever have prefect compatibility with SNES game besides the obvious Mario RPG which has that special chip which can't be emulated by the DS

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not. It renders directly to the screen using the DS's 2D hardware, and as such it will always have some graphical glitches. A software renderer would get rid of graphical glitches but would slow it down horribly.

SMRPG isn't the only one with a special coprocessor chip. See http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_games_with_special_chips for a more complete listing of games that won't run on any SNES emu for the DS.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
so a game like super metroid can never be emulated perfectly on the DS on any emulator?

I don't see why not eventually, it's got no special chips or anything. You've got to give the emu coder a chance though. He's porting an emulator across to a system where he doesn't have the official SDK and it's not like you can just nip out to the shops to buy a book on coding for the DS. He's done a pretty amazing job in the little time he's been working on it. Perfect emulation will probably appear at some point, just be patient.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably not.  It renders directly to the screen using the DS's 2D hardware, and as such it will always have some graphical glitches.  A software renderer would get rid of graphical glitches but would slow it down horribly.

SMRPG isn't the only one with a special coprocessor chip.  See http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_games_with_special_chips for a more complete listing of games that won't run on any SNES emu for the DS.

I never knew there were so many FX/DSP games! Although I'm not sure Dungeon Master should be in there as it runs on a copier without a DSP upgrade or a DSP enabled cart plugged in.

EDIT : Actually I was wrong about Dungeon Master, just tried loading it up on the SNES and it didn't run.

HEARDATBEAT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so a game like super metroid can never be emulated perfectly on the DS on any emulator?

I don't see why not eventually, it's got no special chips or anything. You've got to give the emu coder a chance though. He's porting an emulator across to a system where he doesn't have the official SDK and it's not like you can just nip out to the shops to buy a book on coding for the DS. He's done a pretty amazing job in the little time he's been working on it. Perfect emulation will probably appear at some point, just be patient.
I'm sorry i didn't mean to sound like i was rushing the coder i was just curious if it was possible

rudedoggx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Emulation may not be the best for some games, but has anyone tried to play it with the EZ Flash 3-in-1? The added 256 MB RAM really increases the speed.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory, the extra RAM shouldn't really improve speed too much. It's a trade-off you see. Without the RAM, large roms have to constantly page in and out of memory, which causes slowdown. With RAM, you don't have to do that, but external RAM is slower to access than DS RAM by nature. Granted, you've got a 3in1 (fastest slot-2 RAM) while I have a Supercard (slowest slot-2 RAM) so that may play a role, but I haven't noticed any real improvement when using v0.6 Alpha as opposed to v0.5 Beta.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8 bits to a byte. 256 Mbits = 32 MBytes. The 3in1 contains 256 Mbits (32 MBytes) of NOR flash, and 128 Mbits (16 MBytes) of RAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all