PS1/2 Slim PS2 7500x Modbo 4.0 Install

Valfore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello GBAtemp!

I've done a few soldering jobs in the past but this one has got me stumped, i'm by no means experienced with a soldering iron but i believe i should be able to perform this with the right equipment, which is what has brought me here.

Basically i've bought a Modbo and have a Slim 7500x PS2, i've been using FreeMCboot for awhile but the whole swap disc and using PS1VmodeNegator to run NTSC PSX games has gotten to be abit much, the equipment i have for the job are:
-20watt Soldering Iron (no shop nearby stocked a 15watt, so i got this)
-Both Lead-free and 40% Lead solder
-30 AWG Kynar Wrapping Wire

i'm yet to buy any flux, cause i'm not sure the correct type to get, my current problem is the small holes in part 1 of the diagramhttp://sksapps.com/diagrams/ps2/Modbo4/V14-V15.jpg no solder will stick to these points.

There is 3 types of flux my local electronics store supply, a solder flux pen, a solder gel syringe and solder flux paste.

If anyone has any experience with installing a Modbo into a slim, i'd greatly appreciate some assistance.

Thanks in advance :)

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd probably get the pen, just for accuracy, and no, your joints will not stick without flux. There is a masking substance over what appears to be bare metal on these boards.

FWIW, a slim PS2 and Modbo is not the right place to start learning modchip installation, it's a pig of a job and very, very easy to mess up.

If it's just for PS1 games, get an actual PS1 and an 8-wire chip - still requires a steady hand, but much easier than Modbo.

If you're determined to do the mod you described, spend some time practicing on some broken electronics, before you turn your PS2 into broken electronics!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr