Gaming Skylanders without any Skylanders?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded a Skylanders CIA last night and thought "Hmm, how does this work without any skylanders?"

I did a quick search and found you can import your own skylanders into the game like with other consoles which is neat, except for the fact that I don't own any (or have kids that would be infatuated with them either).

Does the stock game come with any characters to play through with (in the software itself - I know the physical game comes with a character or two), or do you need to provide your own to even start playing?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Now, I may be wrong on this, but I'm fairly certain that you absolutely need the figures in order to play the game. It's a fairly effective DRM, really. As well, you need at least two figures to play the 3DS version of the game. It's an effective and kind of expensive DRM, and iirc, someone tried to reverse engineer the NFC stuff from the figures so that maybe it could be emulated via a phone, but I believe they got threatened with fairly substantial legal action.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, I may be wrong on this, but I'm fairly certain that you absolutely need the figures in order to play the game. It's a fairly effective DRM, really. As well, you need at least two figures to play the 3DS version of the game. It's an effective and kind of expensive DRM, and iirc, someone tried to reverse engineer the NFC stuff from the figures so that maybe it could be emulated via a phone, but I believe they got threatened with fairly substantial legal action.

Oh I'm sure, and it is a very clever DRM, especially Disney Infinity. Amiibo as well. I'm finding myself getting all of these Amiibo just to see them sit on a shelf. I'd be all over this though if I were still a kid. I can imagine playing with all my GI Joe or TMNT figures in my video games. So clever.

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess from what I've read you need to have 2 characters transfered to the game with the USB portal from there on those will stay with you and you won't need any other characters to beat the game however I did read you won't be able to achieve 100% completion due to some areas needing certain characters to beat it or whatever. I just read this on gamefaqs.

Also means of modding the toys has been done by a programmer with a Texas instrument calculator just look up "Gill Grunt Toy Dump" its a hex file dump.
he managed to change one toy into whatever he wanted and change the stats. But Activision hit him with a C&D (Cease and decist) and he removed it but I read ththat the gill grunt data can still be found in Google cache.

Idk if any of this helped you. But I also looked into this game and gave up in the past because I couldn't find a work around and wasn't about to spend 300+ on toys
I had it for my softmodded wii...

Reactions: Maximilious

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Maximilious

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your phone supports NFC there is an app for the first 3 titles in the wild. Trap Force (the worst title imo of the series) hasn't been added to it yet. Google's your best friend here.

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not a problem. I almost have the rest of trap team, I'll update the save in the next few weeks or so, so if ya wanna hold out on playing that one for a bit.

I have super chargers preordered and will be doing that game as well

Reactions: nolife1123

nolife1123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Not a problem. I almost have the rest of trap team, I'll update the save in the next few weeks or so, so if ya wanna hold out on playing that one for a bit.

You're doing god's work sir!
I was bummed over it for a few weeks, still didnt delete them from my SD, and then i stumbled upon this thread, may as well use regionfour and grab a US Skylanders game to go with that save :). Too bad that there's no european version of them :( would save quite a bit of the already cramped SDcard space.

Reactions: DarkCrudus

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are all of your other save files in the ISO site post USA no header as well? Just wondering before I go about getting the EUR roms on accident. Thank you very much for all of your work!

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are all of your other save files in the ISO site post USA no header as well? Just wondering before I go about getting the EUR roms on accident. Thank you very much for all of your work!

everything is US no header

also heads up everyone here, I've updated my Trap Team save to include every skylander

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1