Hacking Sky3ds supports 3DS v9.4.0-21 with no game limit

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Region free, CIA support, Homebrew.... Pseudo elitist trash talk. The average user isn't intrested in this. So Sky seems to be the better option for the common people.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Region free, CIA support, Homebrew.... Pseudo elitist trash talk. The average user isn't intrested in this. So Sky seems to be the better option for the common people.
hardly "elitist"....region free is probably the most commonly requested feature, cia support is handy but not really a deal breaker, and homebrew is nice to have(but again no deal breaker).....plus there is things like save editing,rom hacking etc, as you said sky3ds is good for people who want JUST roms from their own region and nothing else at all.....but the amount of people who keep wanting it save allow save editing etc kinda prove its not just "elitist trash talk"....its features that people actually want that aren't possible unless you go with a more versatile solution....so its easy or feature rich...choose which side is more important but don't expect the features of one to be possible on the other

D

Deleted User

Not really. If you want those features then don't buy a sky3ds.
Sky3ds is for people who want a no nonsense card that just runs games from their region without any fuss and is guaranteed to work on the current latest firmware.

You should realise it only works with current latest firmware 9.4. If it gets blocked on 9.5 then you lose this feature and without emunand support you can either update to 9.5 and no more sky3ds support, or stay on 9.4 forever with sky3ds support (but no emunand).

Also the no nonsense is a bit funny, because the raw diskwriter and the template.txt thing is a pain in the ass to use because it isn't just drag and drop FAT32/EXFAT like gateway.

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Of course, Gateway has more to offer. But I really was talking about the 7-Dollar-R4-buyer in NDS times. Who just want to "play-4-free". For those people even Reghion free isn't really intresting. The good games get released worldwide. The only oversea 3DS game i ever wantet to see, was Pet Zombie :P Cause this was not available in Europe.

Reactions: Arithmatics

JimBonza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also the no nonsense is a bit funny, because the raw diskwriter and the template.txt thing is a pain in the ass to use because it isn't just drag and drop FAT32/EXFAT like gateway.

I was under the impression the Gateway roms had to be trimmed or played with in some way from scene release before being able to do that. If that's the case, it's certainly not easier than the Sky3DS though the difference is miniscule.

Open up diskwriter, pick rom, write.
About the same effort as opening up 2 windows, going to the folders and dragging between the 2.

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should realise it only works with current latest firmware 9.4. If it gets blocked on 9.5 then you lose this feature and without emunand support you can either update to 9.5 and no more sky3ds support, or stay on 9.4 forever with sky3ds support (but no emunand).

Indeed. That's why I said the current latest firmware.

And I realise it's not as easy as drag and drop. But I wouldn't call loading the diskwriter and selecting your rom a pain in the ass.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I was under the impression the Gateway roms had to be trimmed or played with in some way from scene release before being able to do that. If that's the case, it's certainly not easier than the Sky3DS though the difference is miniscule.

Open up diskwriter, pick rom, write.
About the same effort as opening up 2 windows, going to the folders and dragging between the 2.
nope just drop and drag...if you downloaded the game most of the time you will need to patch it for online play (if the game has online capability which most don't)....but other than that its just drop and drag

Zanark11

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Sky3DS has qualities, but the reason to buy a flashcard, for me, it is that a FU*$#%@! HATE the region lock :hateit:, and for that reason Gateway is winning against Sky3DS...

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it really makes you wonder what exploit is being used doesn't it? I mean to emulate a retail cart and somehow inject roms to trick the system into thinking that it's a real retail cart is just crazy.

If it just went through 3 updates without being detected than its hardmod, again basicly emulating a real card. Only issue I saw was one guy couldn't go online. I didn't catch up on it yet but was it because of the headers?

Reactions: Arithmatics
D

Deleted User

If it just went through 3 updates without being detected than its hardmod, again basicly emulating a real card. Only issue I saw was one guy couldn't go online. I didn't catch up on it yet but was it because of the headers?

Devs from #3dsdev have already confirmed they can easily detect sky3ds. They are sure it will be blocked in the next 9.5 firmware update.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
its not really an "exploit" basically they studied how a retail card communicates with the system and made their card emulate that and pass the required checks needed to be properly authenticated, exactly the same concept as ODE devices it just pretends to be legit.....but emulation is never truly perfect, like how the ode devices have been blocked on the PS3 and needed updates to try emulate more accurately....just because it works on the default cart authentication if/when Nintendo ups the ante and makes them more thorough/strict it would more than likely need a update to bypass any addition checks or produce more accurate results.

basically now this kind of thing exists i doubt nintendo could permanently block this type of device, but they can keep playing games.....and seeing as sky3ds seem to have a non-upgradable card expect lots of pretty coloured buttons :P

But then again AFAIK retail carts of today have the same checks. You can't add additional checks to old hardware so nintendo has to literally upgrade future carts with additional hardware checks so that software updates can recheck these checks. Get it?

Devs from #3dsdev have already confirmed they can easily detect sky3ds. They are sure it will be blocked in the next 9.5 firmware update.

Oh. easily detect and separate it from a retail cart? or like easily dete.. never mind i'll just google it myself.

Reactions: codychaosx

garbanzox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I chose Sky for its simplicity. I want to play retail roms from my region - period. I already have several devices that can handle homebrew. I don't need emulators, I have modded GB and GBA with flash carts plus an nVidia Shield. I do play a few eShop games but they're already on my device so that's fine. What else is there?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
But then again AFAIK retail carts of today have the same checks. You can't add additional checks to old hardware so nintendo has to literally upgrade future carts with additional hardware checks so that software updates can recheck these checks. Get it?

Oh. easily detect and separate it from a retail cart? or like easily dete.. never mind i'll just google it myself.
no updating and refining their verification to add additional checks wouldnt mean all existing games are useless, think of it like this currently 3ds says "hello are you NDS or 3DS card?", card replies its type, next it says "ok so whats the secret password "card supplies secret password check" 3ds says "ok very well come on in"....now that nintendo knows that this has been cracked they just look for inconsistencies, this can be various thing....so lets just say they notice the fake card takes 2 seconds to reply with the password, and real card reply within 1 second, all they need to do in that case is change the verification to only accept the password if its given within 1 second of asking

again just a general idea of how they can improve their existing verification in a way that still works for all existing cards but effectively blocks the fakes as they aren't quick enough

Reactions: Sonicx64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards