Hacking Sky3ds microsd write protected

Shadowtrance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So this morning i decided to write a game to my sky3ds microsd, and somehow it has decided to write protect it.
I can READ from it fine (or so it appears from the backup i did with diskwriter) but can't write to it at all, that includes moving games from the bottom reserve to the top.

Was working fine a couple of days ago when i moved Person Q from the reserve to the top so i could start playing it.

Anyone got any ideas or had this happen before?
I've tried everything i can think of to just wipe it out totally and start fresh but no luck, still write protected. :(
No, it's not fake card, already confirmed it's a real sandisk extreme pro 16gb.

D

Deleted-355425

Have you ever tried wiping the games before? If not then sounds like a fake blue card.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too familiar with the Sky3DS itself, but where exactly are you being told the MicroSD card is write-protected? If you are using a MicroSD to SD adapter (such as with the computer), is it possible the write-protect switch on the adapter has been accidentally moved into the "Lock" position?

Reactions: polki

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
Try saving on another mirco SD card first, if that works then most possibly your micro SD card that is no more allowing to write to is now faulty. AFAIK there is no write protect switch on micro SD card, it might be those cheap fake ones that has limited writes and those are used up.

Shadowtrance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you ever tried wiping the games before? If not then sounds like a fake blue card.
Yeah, doesn't seem to be an issue with the sky3ds itself as it works fine with another card i tried. And yeah I've wiped it before as well, back when diskwriter 2.02 came out and i even wrote to it a couple of days ago no issue.

Can you format this card using diskwriter or SD formatter?
Nope, can't format or REformat with diskwriter or anything elseI've thrown at it. :(

I'm not too familiar with the Sky3DS itself, but where exactly are you being told the MicroSD card is write-protected? If you are using a MicroSD to SD adapter (such as with the computer), is it possible the write-protect switch on the adapter has been accidentally moved into the "Lock" position?
Being told it's write protected when i try to format it with basically anything that can format an sd card. So not really a sky3ds issue, it's just thats the ONLY thing i use this card for as i bought it just to use with my sky3ds. Tried different adapters, readers, computers to no avail.

Try saving on another mirco SD card first, if that works then most possibly your micro SD card that is no more allowing to write to is now faulty. AFAIK there is no write protect switch on micro SD card, it might be those cheap fake ones that has limited writes and those are used up.
Yeah I've eliminated sky3ds as a possible cause/issue and it isn't as i can use other cards fine, so somehow between like 2 days ago now it has decided to become write protected all by itself somehow. It isn't the case of a fake card as it IS a genuine sandisk. I wasn't aware of fake cards with limited writes though, usually always just fake size, 2gb disguised as 32gb etc which is easy to detect and fix (by throwing in the bin haha)

=================
This has really got me stumped... how the hell can a micro sd just randomly become write protected all on its own?
So much for technology getting smarter eh? :glare:

D

Deleted-355425

Yeah, doesn't seem to be an issue with the sky3ds itself as it works fine with another card i tried. And yeah I've wiped it before as well, back when diskwriter 2.02 came out and i even wrote to it a couple of days ago no issue.

Nope, can't format or REformat with diskwriter or anything elseI've thrown at it. :(

Being told it's write protected when i try to format it with basically anything that can format an sd card. So not really a sky3ds issue, it's just thats the ONLY thing i use this card for as i bought it just to use with my sky3ds. Tried different adapters, readers, computers to no avail.

Yeah I've eliminated sky3ds as a possible cause/issue and it isn't as i can use other cards fine, so somehow between like 2 days ago now it has decided to become write protected all by itself somehow. It isn't the case of a fake card as it IS a genuine sandisk. I wasn't aware of fake cards with limited writes though, usually always just fake size, 2gb disguised as 32gb etc which is easy to detect and fix (by throwing in the bin haha)

=================
This has really got me stumped... how the hell can a micro sd just randomly become write protected all on its own?
So much for technology getting smarter eh? :glare:

try this,

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

cocoPika

Trophies
Website
sky3dsnewsinformation.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
for sky3ds users: I put the sky3ds into the 3ds, but its a little tight when I put the cart in and get the cart out, then I found that the sticker is not in the right sticker position, is a little out of the groove, then I torn it down and re-paste it into the right way, The card can go smoothly in the 3ds now.

Shadowtrance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep tried that and just about everything else i can find around the net. No go. :(
Dunno what's wrong with it or how it happened but it's write protected even though diskpart says "Read-Only: No"...
Seems a lot of other people have had this randomly happen with sandisk cards as well for no apparent reason.
So in the bin it goes once my samsung evo 32gb gets here.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep tried that and just about everything else i can find around the net. No go. :(
Dunno what's wrong with it or how it happened but it's write protected even though diskpart says "Read-Only: No"...
Seems a lot of other people have had this randomly happen with sandisk cards as well for no apparent reason.
So in the bin it goes once my samsung evo 32gb gets here.
That sucks :(

kopgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This happened to me with a different microsd card. I tried everything, and I broke the card in half and threw it away at the end of the day. Just buy a new card. This happens when it's life is over. (It was a genuine brand new microsd card. The first adapter I used with the card did something wrong to card, and I couldn't recover it since then)

Sgoku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
This happened to me with a different microsd card. I tried everything, and I broke the card in half and threw it away at the end of the day. Just buy a new card. This happens when it's life is over. (It was a genuine brand new microsd card. The first adapter I used with the card did something wrong to card, and I couldn't recover it since then)
Thank You for replying but the card is about 1 week old... Is there no other Solution?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended