Hardware Simpsons/SMG to be first wii games on DVD9?

xbandaidx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the graphics in SMG are pretty damn impressive, which leads you to think that the disc for this one is DVD9, and the same applies for Simpsons due to the fact that it has 42 minutes of cutscenes and 8,000 lines of voice dialogue. You guys think these will be the first ones on DVD9?

If so then I gotta buy a friggin DL compatible burner.

Since we been seeing nothing but DVD5 games lately I came across the assumption that it was DVD5 only, but upon checking Nintendo's technical specifications on their website it says its DVD5 and DVD9 compatible.

Bruinbaard

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DVD9 just goes on one regular DVD? And would my 2 months old (sony/nec)optiarc be able to burn DVD9?
Does this: Supports DVD±R DL writing at 8x means that it supports dvd9?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Considering that it's been confirmed that some Wiis need a physical adjustment to the DVD laser to read DVD9, I'm guessing that we'll never see Wii games on DVD9. Of course, if that's just because of burnt DVD9 disks then we very well might.

Besides, don't you think that they'd be able to get better graphics than what we've seen while keeping within the single layer size? I mean really, how many total MB of data do you think Counter Force really needs? Super Mario Galaxy is not so graphically impressive that they need DVD9 for it considering the maximum resolution of the Wii.

Simpsons: 42 minutes of cutscenes can be compressed to about 200MB with very little loss in quality for a 480p max resolution device. Voice dialog probably 100MB max.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Nah, it's not like they'll use uncompressed fullscreen video and Dolby 7.1 for the game
tongue.gif

Time will tell, I'm really looking forward for that game, I enjoyed Hit & Run
smile.gif

xbandaidx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DVD9 just goes on one regular DVD? And would my 2 months old (sony/nec)optiarc be able to burn DVD9?
Does this: Supports DVD±R DL writing at 8x means that it supports dvd9?

Yep that means your burner supports burning DVD9

As for the rest of the posters, I suppose you are right. I just really don't want to buy another burner just for a few games, not to mention the expensive price of DVD9.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Super Mario Galaxy is not so graphically impressive that they need DVD9 for it considering the maximum resolution of the Wii.

Simpsons: 42 minutes of cutscenes can be compressed to about 200MB with very little loss in quality for a 480p max resolution device. Voice dialog probably 100MB max.

Its not about the level of graphics, texturing, level design, etc take up alot of space. Since SMG has alot of varied worlds it is highly likely it will take more space than games that are currently on the market, no one knows how large SMG actually is.

42 minutes of video at 480p in 200MB without much loss in quality isn't possible. The TV episodes that are released on the Internet aren't that high quality and they are small that 480p. An episode that is about 42 minutes long is usually 350MB, for high quality video you need more space.
If there are (and there will be) a large amount of speaking characters in The Simpsons game it will eat up alot more space than you think.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario Galaxy is not so graphically impressive that they need DVD9 for it considering the maximum resolution of the Wii.

Simpsons: 42 minutes of cutscenes can be compressed to about 200MB with very little loss in quality for a 480p max resolution device. Voice dialog probably 100MB max.

Its not about the level of graphics, texturing, level design, etc take up alot of space. Since SMG has alot of varied worlds it is highly likely it will take more space than games that are currently on the market, no one knows how large SMG actually is.

42 minutes of video at 480p in 200MB without much loss in quality isn't possible. The TV episodes that are released on the Internet aren't that high quality and they are small that 480p. An episode that is about 42 minutes long is usually 350MB, for high quality video you need more space.
If there are (and there will be) a large amount of speaking characters in The Simpsons game it will eat up alot more space than you think.

When have you seen FMVs in a game (pre PS3 or XBOX 360) that were full DVD resolution? They're usually compressed, I would say about as much as those TV episodes you're talking about.

Comments about the DVD laser adjustment still hold more water anyway.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Remember though, The Simpsons is a cartoon, and cartoons compress significantly better than real world footage due to their lack of detail and large same coloured areas. I still think that 200MB is way too small for 42 minutes of video, but I've done rips of my Futurama dvds using h264 and at their normal resolution (720x576) producing 175meg rips, they quality difference is only noticeable because I have the originals to compare to. 42 minutes of simpsons footage using a decent codec should easily fit into 500meg and be of significant quality.

As for vocals, they also compress very well due to their limited frequency range. I'd probably be generous giving 1 minute of vocals 1 meg, but that still means ever hour of dialog is going to be 60 meg.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The truth is most wii games out now are probably not even 4.37 gb but they are coded with filler to all fit that size.
If you look at the graphics and landscapes they are not much more impressive than the dreamcast and dreamcast games were all around 700mb to 1gb uncompressed.

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After playing the 360 demo I can confirm the game is Cel shaded which is simple. If Zelda and Mario Galaxy can fit on the single layer DVD then there is no reason the simpsons cant. If it does need a DL disk then its been shoddily ported and not optimised enough
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)