Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheStoneBanana, Jan 3, 2016.

?

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

1. Yes

79.8%
  2. No

20.2%
  1. angelus kun

angelus kun GBAtemp Fan

Aug 7, 2015
    Mexico
    in my dreams
    I'm feeling very old right now :') because sys downgrader was the first unstable exploit with a high chance of softbrick and screen freeze Screenshot_2017-01-03-02-07-30.png

2. TheStoneBanana
    OP

TheStoneBanana GBAtemp Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    This is an outdated guide which I have only left untouched for preservation purposes.
    Plailcet's guide is a lot more updated and is much better to follow.

Last edited by TheStoneBanana, Jan 3, 2017
  3. BlackEyedSquid

BlackEyedSquid Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    The Internet
    Okay.

Last edited by BlackEyedSquid, Jul 17, 2017
  4. Borjabor

Borjabor Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2017
    Brazil
    I have tried that, but there isn't a folder with that name neither the other regions' versions. Deleting the extdata folder also did not work. Is there something else I could try to recover from the black screen on my N3DS? Just to clarify what I am getting: the black screen appears only with SD inserted. Also, I can't access recovery mode with or without the SD. Thanks guys

5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If the black screen is only when the SD is inserted then there's files you need to delete. You'll have to experiment to find which ones.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Sep 26, 2017
  6. Mayman121

Mayman121 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2017
    Afghanistan
    Nowhere on the website that keeps getting linked does it say anything about downgrading firmware, so stop recommending it.

7. Columbo2811

Columbo2811 GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 19, 2015
    Wot you on about.

Quantumcat likes this.
  8. Potato hoarder

Potato hoarder Hoarder of Potatoes

Feb 2, 2016
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    >goes on year old thread
    >doesn't read first line of thread saying that it's outdated
    >complains about thread being outdated

9. SedRick_M89

SedRick_M89 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2015
    As of now, For a NEW 3DS XL, what is the best firmware to aim for for full CFW and homebrew capabilities? I've read the 3dsguide but it doesn't answer my question.
    I'm about to buy one but i want it on the perfect firmware..
    i have no interest in playing online.

10. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    11.3 since you dont need another hardware(a supported ds flashcart to be exact) to put CFW on your device. But all firmware is possible, it's just easier when it's on 11.3 and below

11. SedRick_M89

SedRick_M89 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2015
    and theres no simple way to downgrade from > 11.3? so if i buy one that's new, i should avoid the newer limited editions? i imagine they ship above 11.3?

12. Akira

Apr 28, 2013
    There is no need to downgrade actually, you can just buy a supported ds flashcart which are there in the guide and use ntrboot to hack any firmware, you will also have a way to play NDS games which is a win-win situation. Brand new ones are sure to have 11.4(or above, I haven't heard any reports), old stocks for sure are 11.3 and below. As I said., 11.3 just makes it easier since you dont need anything but your New 3DS.

13. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    There's no reason to downgrade anymore. Grab yourself an R4i Gold, a magnet from your fridge, and follow The Guide. Hacking the 3DS has actually become an extremely easy process without the need for downgrading or risk of bricking.

14. SedRick_M89

SedRick_M89 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2015
    so whether im on 11.3 or 11.4, i can still get all the hacking benefits from it?
    I heard that 9.2 had the best compatibility with all homebrew and the updates progressively patched certain things??... like playing back ups or ds games?

15. Akira

Apr 28, 2013
    There is no firmware that has the best compatibility now. All firmwares are hackable. I suggest try reading the guide again. You must have skimmed through the introduction, but pretty, much, everything is explained over there.

16. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    If you are on 11.3, then you actually have a kernel exploit that can used to install B9S. Now with NTRBoot, you can hack any OFW, as it's a bootrom exploit. It doesn't matter if the OFW is 1.0, 11.6, or any future update, NTRBoot can't be blocked out.
    For DS games, there is TWLoader, but I still suggest using a flashcart if you want perfect compatibility. Homebrew isn't really effected by your OFW.
    Like what has been suggested, read through The Guide and catch up with the current scene.

TheStoneBanana likes this.
  17. SedRick_M89

SedRick_M89 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2015
    Ok my flashcart just arrived but nothing shows up when i boot ak2i ntrcarhax... any suggestions?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

ak2i ntrcarhax boots to white screen then black... got the Gold cart and ive formatted to 32kb cluster size..

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Never mind - looks like the Micro SD it came with may not be compatible -_-

18. SedRick_M89

SedRick_M89 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2015
    Nope still doesnt work

19. HaouJohan

HaouJohan Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2017
    Philippines
    Will this guide work for my New 3DS XL 11.6? I’d like to downgrade to 11.3 and install the CFWs from there because the 3DS guide for 11.6 requires me to have another 3DS and some games which I do not have.

20. Akira

Apr 28, 2013
    No, 11.6 cannot be downgraded. Whatever is in the 3ds.guide is the only way to hack your 3ds