Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i cane downgrade it with vhax on 11 firmware?
Unless something changed, and it may have (very unlikely), the only way to downgrade from 11.x is through a hardmod. So the answer to you question would be no Vhax will not work b/c Nintendo patched the last method of downgrading in 11.x.

Profrizky

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Unless something changed, and it may have (very unlikely), the only way to downgrade from 11.x is through a hardmod. So the answer to you question would be no Vhax will not work b/c Nintendo patched the last method of downgrading in 11.x.
Sad. So maybe in the future there is a way to downgrade it without hardmod?

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me if this is something that's common and I"m just not finding it, but I seem to be having issue with downgrading a 10.3 to 9.2. I managed to use Browserhax to install Menuhax. From there, I tried running sysUpdate and safesysUpdate. sysUpdate seems to freeze at the menu selection and I can't do anything. SafeSysUpdate lets me validate that all my 9.2 files are indeed good, but when trying to downgrade, it forever freezes (and often bugs out the text) at step #5. Something about slabheap I believe?

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me if this is something that's common and I"m just not finding it, but I seem to be having issue with downgrading a 10.3 to 9.2. I managed to use Browserhax to install Menuhax. From there, I tried running sysUpdate and safesysUpdate. sysUpdate seems to freeze at the menu selection and I can't do anything. SafeSysUpdate lets me validate that all my 9.2 files are indeed good, but when trying to downgrade, it forever freezes (and often bugs out the text) at step #5. Something about slabheap I believe?
No, the downgraders freezing like that is common, just keep trying till it works. I would STRONGLY suggest using PlaiSysUpdater to downgrade though. It's much, MUCH more stable. You can get the latest release here:

https://github.com/Plailect/PlaiSysUpdater/releases/

Reactions: Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
CONGRATS! Do you plan to stop at installing menuhax? Or are you going to go all the way and try for a9lh? (I suggest a9lh) I will also be online for a while longer if you have any more questions. Please feel free to ask. :D
I'd like to get whatever CIA launcher is used for Homebrew and maybe a few CIAs. Trying to get browserhax to work again on 9.2 and it's not playing nice at the moment.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to get whatever CIA launcher is used for Homebrew and maybe a few CIAs. Trying to get browserhax to work again on 9.2 and it's not playing nice at the moment.
There is no CIA launcher for homebrew that I know of. You need Custom firmware. This will require either an emuNAND set up, or if you are on a9lh, you can load the CFW on sysNAND directly. This is the most up to date guide out there:

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(RedNAND)

If you just complete part 3, you can stop there and it will allow you to install and play CIAs. It will use your REAL NAND (sysNAND) on 9.2 as an entry point, and redirect the system to a FAKE NAND (emuNAND or redNAND) stored on a partition on your 3DS' sd card. If you continue and do parts 4 and 5, you will install a9lh. It will hack your sysNAND, so there is no need for an emuNAND, and provides MANY amazing features such as the ability to backup and restore NANDs without a hard mod (Basically makes your 3DS almost literally impossible to brick)!

Also, what's wrong with browserhax?

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
There is no CIA launcher for homebrew that I know of. You need Custom firmware. This will require either an emuNAND set up, or if you are on a9lh, you can load the CFW on sysNAND directly. This is the most up to date guide out there:

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(RedNAND)

If you just complete part 3, you can stop there and it will allow you to install and play CIAs. It will use your REAL NAND (sysNAND) on 9.2 as an entry point, and redirect the system to a FAKE NAND (emuNAND or redNAND) stored on a partition on your 3DS' sd card. If you continue and do parts 4 and 5, you will install a9lh. It will hack your sysNAND, so there is no need for an emuNAND, and provides MANY amazing features such as the ability to backup and restore NANDs without a hard mod (Basically makes your 3DS almost literally impossible to brick)!

Also, what's wrong with browserhax?
I used to own a Gateway and used to do a lot of older stuff with that on emuNAND. This is my first time using CIA only and homebrew as entry points.

I'm not sure, I keep getting sent back to system menu with the browser crashing. It isn't working any longer.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O3DS. Ideally I'd rather do emuNAND rather than sysNAND mods. I'd rather not compromise the sysNAND integrity and leave it as an entry point.
Ok, firstly, O3DS is why it's crashing. On O3DS 9.2.20X browserhax uses the sliderhax exploit. It's very unstable and fails super often. Just make sure to clear all browser data in the browser options, and zoom in and click the VERY VERY VERY furthest pixel on the right side of the slider bar. This can sometimes take MANY tries unfortunately, just keep trying and install menuhax the moment you get it to work.

As for being worried about a9lh sysNAND hacks, it's actually just as secure if not MORE SECURE than emuNAND. The CFW blocks any important files from being overwritten, and with the ability to backup and restore your sysNAND, you literally can't brick your system after it's installed. You can even restore a NAND backup on 9.2.0-20X from before a9lh to "uninstall" it (but why would you want to?). Trust me on this, I set up a9lh on my limited edition Majora's Mask n3ds xl. I NEVER would have done that if emuNAND was safer. It's also possible to use an emuNAND with a9lh if you REALLY want to.... but it's pointless. With NAND backup and restore abilities, there is 0 risk (AFTER you install a9lh. the installation itself has some small risks ofc). I hate to be one of those annoying "a9lh master race" people..... but you should REALLY consider it. It really is that much better.

Reactions: driverdis

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, firstly, O3DS is why it's crashing. On O3DS 9.2.20X browserhax uses the sliderhax exploit. It's very unstable and fails super often. Just make sure to clear all browser data in the browser options, and zoom in and click the VERY VERY VERY furthest pixel on the right side of the slider bar. This can sometimes take MANY tries unfortunately, just keep trying and install menuhax the moment you get it to work.

As for being worried about a9lh sysNAND hacks, it's actually just as secure if not MORE SECURE than emuNAND. The CFW blocks any important files from being overwritten, and with the ability to backup and restore your sysNAND, you literally can't brick your system after it's installed. You can even restore a NAND backup on 9.2.0-20X from before a9lh to "uninstall" it (but why would you want to?). Trust me on this, I set up a9lh on my limited edition Majora's Mask n3ds xl. I NEVER would have done that if emuNAND was safer. It's also possible to use an emuNAND with a9lh if you REALLY want to.... but it's pointless. With NAND backup and restore abilities, there is 0 risk (AFTER you install a9lh. the installation itself has some small risks ofc). I hate to be one of those annoying "a9lh master race" people..... but you should REALLY consider it. It really is that much better.
If it's as progressive as Wii CFW, then sure. That sounds great. It allows for patched CIAs to run?

duyluan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just for curiosity, did the same method that used to downgrade from 11.x is a new or old method. Cuz I just gave my o3ds to a guy to hardmod for me, and I want to know if that method of hardmod is reliable or not?

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Sounds awesome. I'm doing it in pieces as to not go too fast or burn myself out. I've at present formatted RedNAND twice and have a backup of that via OTP. Gotta downgrade to 2.X and then do all that nonsense later.

All set. Holy Hell that was a doozy. I'm all finished though. Definitely the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte