Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well, all I know is that NFIRM needs to be in a state where it can be downgraded in order for Sighax to be installed. Now, I'm not saying that to install it, downgrade. I'm saying that it has to be in a level so high that it can be downgraded.
For sighax we just need NAND read/write access I believe. So you were right the first time except not because of arm9: arm9 access is firmly in 11.2 or less, we might not get a new arm9 exploit when sighax comes out (I hope we do though, easier than DSiWare hax).

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, all I know is that NFIRM needs to be in a state where it can be downgraded in order for Sighax to be installed. Now, I'm not saying that to install it, downgrade. I'm saying that it has to be in a level so high that it can be downgraded.

Once sighax is released, N is screwed, don't matter what the update is, it can run cfw.

Starzcream

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah OP confused me too. It doesnt clarify what we will be able to do with it or will it be a hardmod or softmod.

All these worries about a hardmod. First time I did it with success I was also smart enough to use a sd tester board, f the stupid adapter solder on the micro sd one. Just get a battery powered iron and it's easy they don't get that hot and won't damage your board also use silver flux compound with syringe squirt some onto pad out wire on it and soldier and it's clean too. This is the best temp hardmod for noobs.

Attachments

• IMG_1743.JPG
    IMG_1743.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by Starzcream,

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the reason it can be installed with hardmod is because it will pass the bootrom signature check, thus not bricking. at that point we have full arm9 with otp when our new firmware starts, and we get to do all sorts of fun things with it.

normally only nand backups from the console pass the bootrom signature check when written by hardmod.

adrifcastr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@maorninja @Quantumcat @BL4Z3D247

arm11 processor:
access to everything related in userland
installing titles to sd/nand etc...

arm9 processor:
the only one that has nand rw access, so any operation that is done without a hardware modification, that read and write to the nand chip, will take advantage of the arm9 processor. including dsiware.

arm7 processor:
the only one that has access to the sd card sd card so any operation that read and write to the sd card will have to take advantage of the arm7 processor

hardmod:
direct rw access to the nand chip by soldering wires to a sd card reader and to the chip itself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the reason it can be installed with hardmod is because it will pass the bootrom signature check, thus not bricking. at that point we have full arm9 with otp when our new firmware starts, and we get to do all sorts of fun things with it.

normally only nand backups from the console pass the bootrom signature check when written by hardmod.
um someone here did not understand what a hardmod is.

Last edited by adrifcastr,

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ummm, yes i do. you can flash whatever you want onto the nand with it, but without a valid signature the bootrom will not boot it, and it's bricked.

If your console had 11.3 on it before you got it, you cannot downgrade even with a hardmod. nintendo actually stopped it. only a properly signed NAND backup from the actual console can be flashed and still boot, because the bootrom checks the nand.

I don't understand exactly how people downgraded with hardmod without a nand backup before, but it's known to NOT WORK ON 11.3.

this is what sighax deals with. it lets you put something on that WILL pass the bootrom's simplified check, so you just need direct access to write it, which can be hardmod or arm9 exploit or a9lh.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
the only one that has nand rw access, so any operation that is done without a hardware modification, that read and write to the nand chip, will take advantage of the arm9 processor. including dsiware.
This can't be right. DSiWare has NAND read/write access but does not use an arm9 exploit. If it did then we would be able to install CFW on 11.3 using it.

Reactions: Zidapi and Arck

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
@maorninja @Quantumcat @BL4Z3D247

arm11 processor:
access to everything related in userland
installing titles to sd/nand etc...

arm9 processor:

arm7 processor:
the only one that has access to the sd card sd card so any operation that read and write to the sd card will have to take advantage of the arm7 processor

hardmod:
direct rw access to the nand chip by soldering wires to a sd card reader and to the chip itself.

ARM11 does not install titles, but with ARM11 kernel access you can request that ARM9 installs titles for you.
The ARM7 processor is only used when entering the DS(i) and GBA backwards compatibility modes. While in 3DS mode, the ARM9 is able to access both NAND and SD directly and the ARM7 isn't powered at all. The same hardware registers are used to access NAND (perhaps better called the eMMC) and SD in DSi mode, so it's probably the same for 3DS mode.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This can't be rght. DSiWare has NAND read/write access but does not use an arm9 exploit. If it did then we would be able to install CFW on 11.3 using it.

DS(i) games run on the ARM9 and ARM7.
It's not too difficult to gain code execution in a DS(i) game, but entering DSi mode disables most of the 3DS-specific hardware and clears a bunch of useful keys. It's not comparable to gaining ARM9 code execution in 3DS mode, you're pretty much limited to what a DSi can do. Fortunately, the DSi can write to NAND.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with Sighax, would it be possible to flash or fix 3ds suffering from black screen of death? -

would it in theory allow update (with DNS and all) to directly install CFW (if any)
Depends on what you define as a black screen of death. If it's a faulty console from day 1 before even booting it up, i could only assume it's a torn ribbon cable, and not something software could fix. A corrupted nand partition on the other hand.....

Also no, the dns thing wouldn't work, I've heard multiple explanations why, and the gist is that a vanilla 3ds wouldn't except such a dodgy firmware signature.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.