Homebrew SigHax Updates and Discussion Thread

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So, why is Sighax such a big thing? A9LH can do nearly everything Sighax can do. What's the advantage of Sighax over A9LH? I don't understand honestly.
It's a big thing for the same reasons why A9LH was a big thing. Because it's an upgrade from A9LH.
Currently, it will be faster than A9LH
Deeper CFW support
Impossible to patch out.
Basically, it's going to be better than A9LH

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
while sighax itself is unpachable, everybody should keep in mind, that its still possible to remove it from The system, if nintendo finds ways to workaround the firmprotection, or if a cfw is used that doesn't have firm protection.
This on the other side sighax is not that different from arm9loaderhax, the only advantages are:
a bit earlier in boot -> access to the console unique otp without downgrade, which could have advantages in future, while its not needed anymore after the firsr sighax release
only one firm partition is needed -> maybe the backup partition could be used as sighax backup
no need to modify the key store -> no bricks on unprotected updates on the new 3ds

Also a good recovery strategy to help to save the 3ds in most situations would be sighax+injected dsi ware exploid game+save.
This way you would be able to fix the most briks using sighax, and also be able to restore sighax, if it gets somehow overwritten using the dsi exploid :)

Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra,

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
while sighax itself is unpachable, everybody should keep in mind, that its still possible to remove it from The system, if nintendo finds ways to workaround the firmprotection, or if a cfw is used that doesn't have firm protection.
This on the other side sighax is not that different from arm9loaderhax, the only advantages are:
a bit earlier in boot -> access to the console unique otp without downgrade, which could have advantages in future, while its not needed anymore after the firsr sighax release
only one firm partition is needed -> maybe the backup partition could be used as sighax backup
no need to modify the key store -> no bricks on unprotected updates on the new 3ds

Also a good recovery strategy to help to save the 3ds in most situations would be sighax+injected dsi ware exploid game+save.
This way you would be able to fix the most briks using sighax, and also be able to restore sighax, if it gets somehow overwritten using the dsi exploid :)

The only way nintendo can remove al9h would be to hack themselves the console. They would need to achieve the same exploits to regain control over the system and then disable the firm protections. Its extremely hard and unlikely. Sighax however can never be patched because its a hardware fault.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country

Personally I'd keep a legitimate FIRM there, just in case the sighax installation fails.

The only way nintendo can remove al9h would be to hack themselves the console. They would need to achieve the same exploits to regain control over the system and then disable the firm protections. Its extremely hard and unlikely. Sighax however can never be patched because its a hardware fault.

If Nintendo were really clever, they could probably spoof the signatures Luma was targeting for its FIRM protection patches and implement a different function for those purposes.
But, well... They don't seem that cunning.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
both have the same posibility to get removed, since both of them are using the firm partitition, so if it gets overwritten, it will be gone. But they can be reinstalled afterwards using some way to write to firm.
also one way to remove a9lh/sigjax would be a second firmwrite on boot, if the firmpartition doesn't seem to match the loaded firm.

the assaf

Trophies
XP
Country
Remember that sighax is an attack, not an exploit. once sighax is done, we can make our own signed FIRMS.

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can't do SigHax until boot ROM is dumped. It's just infeasible.

derrek didn't reveal sufficient information about SigHax for us to be able to execute the attack on our own. We know some things, but certain details like offsets inside boot9's memory are necessary in order to get SigHax working in a reasonable timeframe.

Even once we get boot ROM dumped, it will take a while, because a working signature would need to be brute-forced. The SigHax flaw basically means that a brute-force is many orders of magnitude easier than it should be, putting it in the range of feasibility. It still will require a significant brute-forcing operation that will take time.

We're probably looking at a few months before a working SigHax signature is found, due to the time it's taking to dump boot ROM outside the "inner circle" of 3DS hackers, plus how long the brute-force operation will take.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To install i guess. I genuinely doubt the difference in boot speed would be noticeable on a daily basis.
The boot speed will actually be fast, since this boots at the earliest point possible. I don't think anyone will really notice, but it's still something.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Team Cakey is waiting on parts so they can resume glitching. The precision timing required to make bootrom hax work is very narrow so the best equipment is necessary.
do you think their might be a bit of a not 100% success with just once in a blue moon failures on run when its done? even so if i understand correctly thisll be a once and done process like a9lh installation. fingers crossed this comes soner rather then later but I am patient...especially when it was a 1 hour wait for 1 freaking step... -.- im lookin at you slowhax

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you think their might be a bit of a not 100% success with just once in a blue moon failures on run when its done? even so if i understand correctly thisll be a once and done process like a9lh installation. fingers crossed this comes soner rather then later but I am patient...especially when it was a 1 hour wait for 1 freaking step... -.- im lookin at you slowhax
It only needs to succeed once.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the way it may work is done in three simple steps (and perhaps a backup, for safety):
1) getting your system firm key via plaintext attack (as done to decrypt the firm)
2) Sighax firm and install safea9lhinstaller mod to firm0
3) Otp is fully visible so install a9lh directly

That should be viable in any firmware version.

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the way it may work is done in three simple steps (and perhaps a backup, for safety):
1) getting your system firm key via plaintext attack (as done to decrypt the firm)
2) Sighax firm and install safea9lhinstaller mod to firm0
3) Otp is fully visible so install a9lh directly

That should be viable in any firmware version.

Once again sighax is better than a9lh. Theres no point using sighax to install an a9lh based cfw when you can just install a sighax cfw.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Once again sighax is better than a9lh. Theres no point using sighax to install an a9lh based cfw when you can just install a sighax cfw.

You guys keep repeating this as a prerecorded message, but very few to no one of you is gonna re the system firm to make a "cfw" (I bet we are only going to put luma's patches in a decrypted firm for the users to sign, but still). There is a very good point of getting the system's OTP. That being having the system's OTP (laugh now).

You don't want to install a9lh, fine. OK. Wait until decrypted "cfw"s step by, sighax one of those and put it in with arm9 access.
In the meantime "cfw"s start having chainloaders and such, I find very valuable having arm9loader code execution. In the end, I perfectly can firmlaunch any of your sighaxed "cfw"s in files instead of flashing them every time.

Rayanson

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, I'm not too much into hacking & stuff (I don't even understand you're talking about here)

But I heard that we will be able to play non légit CIA with this

My question is, will sighax be able to work with my device since I only installed soundhax & fasthax? Or will it need me to go through the whole 3ds.guide tuto?

Since one of my screws can't be opened anymore, my sd card is somehow locked inside my device, fortunately I installed ftpdb si I can still move files from my computer to my device but in 3ds.guide they say that I should remove th sd card to pursue the tutorial...

I really hope I'll be able to install it to play games I can't buy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."