Sighax for dummies: An FAQ for the rest of us.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by icefire82G, Apr 25, 2017.

1. hurrz

hurrz GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Gambia, The
  2. xunsus

xunsus Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2017
    Antigua and Barbuda
    i know that i was just wondering if in the future we were going to get the same thing with a free game from the eshop

hurrz likes this.
  3. icefire82G
    OP

icefire82G The Sighax FAQ Guy

Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Lurking somewhere
    It's better to learn godmode9 first than to get comfortable with hourglass9. If you practice and learn a more advanced tool, you'll be much better off than having to transition from something as basic as hourglass9. Besides, godmode9 has many more features and is more supported than hourglass9 from what I've read from the github pages.

If and when they bring back 4 swords anniversary edition, that will be a free option. It's been a free game each time it has been available.

EDIT:

Going through a9lh on an 11.3 or below system is much easier if you don't have an additional system with cfw to systransfer. Hardmod runs a heavy risk, dsiwarehax traditionally requires a second 3ds, which leaves a9lh as the best option for single system owners. I'm going to specify that when I get a chance to edit the OP.

Last edited by icefire82G, May 25, 2017
    hurrz likes this.
  4. xunsus

xunsus Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2017
    Antigua and Barbuda
    is it impossible for other games to be added ?

5. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    It's possible for other games to be exploited, but someone has to be interested in doing it first

xunsus likes this.
  6. adrifcastr

adrifcastr GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2016
    Germany
    wow stickied, amazing.

7. icefire82G
    OP

Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Lurking somewhere
    Not necessarily. There are certain aspects to the games that are exploitable, and since pretty much all development on dsiware is done, there's not that much to look for, since the majority of dsiware games have been inspected by now, and nothing new is coming out.

My recommendation is to just grab one of the cheap exploitable games off the eshop, since some about 2 dollars. You never know whether or not ninty will pull them off, and once all the exploitable games are gone, we're gonna have to wait on new kernelhax, which could take a while if there's any exploits left to find.

Ayy thanks mate! :D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. CGNetwork

CGNetwork GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2016
    United States
    If anyone is here, please help me out with the Sighax installation error I just ran into, My N3DSXL failed to install sighax due to the installer not being able to backup the current firmware, which is rather annoying. Can someone help me fix this problem? I just followed the onscreen instructions just fine up until I ran into an error.

9. zenzetsu

zenzetsu Newbie

Newcomer
    May 26, 2017
    Thanks, I wanted to know a bit more about it :)

10. CGNetwork

CGNetwork GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2016
    United States
    Nevermind, I took care of the Luma Sighax issue. Went with the B9S method instead.

11. droople

droople GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2006
    Australia
    Just a quick question, did the sighax get the private key of nintendo?

12. icefire82G
    OP

Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Lurking somewhere
    Boot9strap IS Sighax, and you still get "Luma sighax" with Boot9strap. Sorry I was late with my response though, and glad it's working!

Nope, Sighax has nothing to do with Ninty's pgp keys. The keys that Sighax gets are the keys used to decrypt 3ds games. In a way, they're Ninty's private keys, but we aren't going to be able to decrypt any secret messages they're sending within their network with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. xunsus

xunsus Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2017
    Antigua and Barbuda
    are they working on other ways to install CFW on 11.4 (one that does not require another 3ds) ?

14. icefire82G
    OP

Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Lurking somewhere
    As far as I know, no. Kernelhax are pretty difficult to find, and if we follow recent trends, we'll probably see 11.4 kernelhax be released after 11.5/12.0/whatever next version.

xunsus likes this.
  15. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    In Europe you cannot copywright code :D Code is protected by author's wrights only and not copywright :D

16. icefire82G
    OP

Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Lurking somewhere
    Um, no? The only difference between code copyright between the rest of the world and Europe is that in Europe it has to be classified as a literary work, and is still protected under copyrights. In the US, software copyright is defined under the same laws as Literary works, but they are separate classifications. Read here and here for more info about that.

EDIT:

Here is the page from the EU copyright offices. Here's a quote from the page:

tl;dr: In general, code can be copyrighted, but not patented. Some countries allow code to be patented.

Last edited by icefire82G, May 27, 2017
  17. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    Oh, ok, got lost in translation there. But I don't think anything stops you from reverse engineering, should be fair use as long as you don't comercialize it or give proper credit.

18. icefire82G
    OP

Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Lurking somewhere
    The resources that I'm going to cite are going to be from the US copyright offices, but they should be either effectively or conceptually the same no matter the country.

FIRST: The Definition of Fair Use

The reason we were dumping the bootrom was for pretty much none of those things. Maybe it could have fallen under research, but Ninty would crack down hard with legal battles to make it seem like it's only going to be used for piracy.

SECOND: All Four Copyright Records

See how these are all registered as "computer file". Under 17 U.S.C.A. § 102, computer programs are literary works, and are subject to the same treatment for protection.

THIRD: What does copyright protect?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
    https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#protect
    FOURTH: Common Sense

Computer code has a specific use and purpose, especially in the case for something like a bootrom or other hardware level code. Unless you're developing for Ninty, you don't need access to the bootrom unless you're doing something they would classify as "shady", which is pretty much what the entirety of gbatemp is for. We're loading custom firmware, software that isn't approved by Ninty, into their hardware. We're decrypting games for uses that they have stated that they do not like one bit. "Fair Use" doesn't apply when you're emulating a piece of software that is either A.) Illegally distributed (Roms, ISOs, etc) or B.) Illegally Obtained (ripping, decrypting, etc). The bootrom falls under B, and it can enable more of either A or B depending on how it's used.

tl;dr: It doesn't fall under fair use because we're not creating new content with it, and in our case "reverse engineering" does not fall under research, especially since we aren't modifying the code, and if we somehow AREN'T violating Fair Use, since Ninty is only allowing the bootrom to be distributed and used as part of the SOC for a 3ds, getting access to it on computer, or torrenting, or using it for sighax, or decrypting games with it is a big no no. Yet we do it anyways because it's fun poking in places you don't belong.

19. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    wait... you tried derrek's installer, got an error AND didn't brick?

hurrz likes this.
  20. droople

droople GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2006
    Australia
    Thank you. So we are still unable to know what kind of message our 3ds send to Nintendo, right?