Should we say RIP windows 7 now?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're relying on Windows updates for security your security is already failed
Please don't confuse sensible security with reliance.

Edit: Off the top of my head, your computer is vulnerable to the KRACK WPA2 vulnerability and WannaCry ransomware variants. I don't know why a person would willing choose to have known vulnerabilities, specifically ones like those listed above that require no human error from the user.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Kioku

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Edit: Off the top of my head, your computer is vulnerable to the KRACK WPA2 vulnerability and WannaCry ransomware variants. I don't know why a person would willing choose to have known vulnerabilities, specifically ones like those listed above that require no human error from the user.
It's all fun and games until they apply for credit cards in your name.

Reactions: Lacius
D

Deleted-394630

i don't dig windows 7 gold edition and i think those are for the most stubborn people that cannot seem to let go of their old hardware and even support for those end at some point
Windows 7 gold edition is fucking ugly, I mean look at that start button:
Download-Windows-7-Gold-Edition.jpg

WHO THE FUCK THINKS THAT LOOKS OKAY?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

lol so much salt in your response. The ocean called and wants it salt back. I suppose the forum rules dont apply to you do they. I thought one of the rules was not to call others names. Well anyways. I dont like windows 10 and never will. I have used windows 3.11,95,98,2000,xp,2003,vista,7,server 2008 R2,8,8.1 and 10. I hated 8 and hate 10. lol holding shift yeah i know a lot of good that is when you cant restart because one of the many forced updates messed the boot sequence and the boot repair fails.... I have fixed to many patch fail machines. Oh that reminds me Another problem with 10 Forced updates.
These are still primarily opinions, not facts. Nobody gives a shit if you "like" Windows 10 or 8/8.1, if you don't back it up with facts, people will reply calling you out. Not really sure what you expected.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If you're relying on Windows updates for security your security is already failed
There's a typical foil hat response.

It's not a secret these security updates actually do what they say. Every day a new exploit is found.. You really think these updates don't fix them?

Reactions: DarthDub and Lacius

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a typical foil hat response.

It's not a secret these security updates actually do what they say. Every day a new exploit is found.. You really think these updates don't fix them?
It's almost like keeping your chequebook on the windowsill because you're convinced the manufacturer put a camera in your safe.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i mean i guess, but my computer isn't wireless, i have everything backed up and a stolen credit card isn't anything but an inconvenience.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mean i guess, but my computer isn't wireless, i have everything backed up and a stolen credit card isn't anything but an inconvenience.
I hope you don't go online with this machine, otherwise you're just running a security risk. why waste time having to restore everything when you get malware, and update it so you don't have to deal with it?

if one of the reasons is "lots of updates to install": there is a convenience rollup available (downloads: x86, x64) so you can easily install nearly all updates from Win7 SP1 release (Feb 22, 2011) to April 2016. this lets you save lots of time when updating a new install. you would need to install SP1 and KB3020369 first.

Reactions: Lacius

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
nlite is just a means to combine drivers (was nice when sata kicked off), service packs and a select bunch of registry and such tweaks into an XP install disc.

tweak ui was many of the same registry tweaks.

What you describe sounds closer to the full explorer replacements that also faded out with XP. For good reason most of the time as well -- so much incompatibility and annoyance...
No, I'm not talking about changing the shell. I'm talking about using custom visual styles, and they're very much still alive and well. Windows themes (not color themes) like Aero, Lunar, and Metro, are called visual styles. You can use custom ones by patching certain system DLLs, and dropping them in C:\Windows\Resources\Themes. Further patching can be done to change Explorer ribbon bar icons and all that good stuff. You can also manually do it with Resource Hacker. Just go to DeviantArt and search "Windows visual styles". There's hundreds.

Also, bblean is still a decent shell replacement provided you know how *box window managers work. It's probably the only one that has aged well. I should probably also mention this.

Last edited by Joom,

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Neon is a pretty nice shell however. Windows 10 is constantly evolving, and I'd be more concerned about visual style hacks breaking things.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By significant OS upgrades I meant when a brand new OS version is released. I trust the regular OS updates enough to keep the auto updates on.
Each year, the new Windows 10 feature update is an OS upgrade. In other words, each year's big Windows 10 update is analogous to the Windows 8.1 update; the only difference is how they're naming them. The following are all different operating systems that install over the old ones:
  • Windows 10 version 1507 (RTM)
  • Windows 10 version 1511
  • Windows 10 version 1607
  • Windows 10 version 1703
  • Windows 10 version 1709

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
If it were only a little easier to make windows 10 look like 7 I would do i... I don't have a problem with the icons but I just don't like the theme even with it set with my favorite color..... i just wish that Microsoft would respect our wishes and let us do what we want....
I don't know why you'd want this, but it takes like five minutes to set up.
https://www.deviantart.com/art/Aero-7-Themes-for-Win10-Final-523979941

I don't know why a person would willing choose to have known vulnerabilities, specifically ones like those listed above that require no human error from the user.
He's a wingnut conspiracy theorist. They're typically hugely ignorant, and have their heads so far up their own asses that they can lick stomach bile. Whatever man. Welcome to the ZeuS net. His financial information is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Joom,
D

Deleted User

It is highly recommended that one use an operating system that at the very least continues to receive security updates. For Windows operating systems, those would be the following:
  • Windows 7 SP1 (stops receiving security updates in 2020)
  • Windows 8.1 (stops receiving security updates in 2023)
  • Windows 10 (stops receiving security updates in 2025, but it will almost certainly get a free update to the operating system that succeeds it)
You're implying Windows 10 isn't the final windows. I dunno, I just think 10 is going to be the definitive windows, Microsoft will just keep adding onto it. It's certainly not going to get replaced in 2025.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No nvidia chipset drivers, for one. The system that used to be my main PC is an nforce 680i board. I still use that machine pretty regularly, even if not the machine I type on.

You can still get the upgrade if you're willing to abuse a certain Microsoft Accessibility method. I won't provide links on how to do that, I suggest Google. :creep:

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you don't go online with this machine, otherwise you're just running a security risk. why waste time having to restore everything when you get malware, and update it so you don't have to deal with it?

if one of the reasons is "lots of updates to install": there is a convenience rollup available (downloads: x86, x64) so you can easily install nearly all updates from Win7 SP1 release (Feb 22, 2011) to April 2016. this lets you save lots of time when updating a new install. you would need to install SP1 and KB3020369 first.
haven't had a problem in 8 years, realistically i think you're much more likely to get hit with new malware than old something that makes it past everything else is probably not going to be stopped by a windows update.
you're probably either just paranoid or the type of guy to get viruses.

Reactions: Nightwish

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat