Hardware Should there be one last firmware update.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All homebrew needs aside, what do you ladies and gents think? Should Nintendo release one last update to prep the console for the aftermarket? I can name a few things that could use fixing. The biggest thing I am thinking of is the fact that you still need a Gamepad to access the system settings. I guess the console is fine where it's at. Just curious about everyone's thoughts.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could be fixing a lot of things but we all know what has the highest chance of happening. One final patch for exploits along with the release of Breath of The Wild.

Reactions: PacPera

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Nah, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did release an update after the Switch launches that cripples some Wii U stuff, to "persuade" (fuck-over) Wii U owners into making the Switch™.

Reactions: Eastonator12
D

Deleted User

Well, i'm thinking they are going to push out one more for BoTW. But to do stuff like Gamepad in sys settings, nah no such thing

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, i'm thinking they are going to push out one more for BoTW. But to do stuff like Gamepad in sys settings, nah no such thing
What do you mean by Gamepad in System Settings? Why would that require an update?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moar stability!!

I don't care at this point. Our Wii U is my daughter's for the long term, and I'm not gonna futz with it like I do all the stuff that's mine. I thought about buying one for myself, maybe a refurb, but I broke down today and bought an XRGB mini Framemeister for all my old systems, so my gaming hardware budget's shot for a while.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did release an update after the Switch launches that cripples some Wii U stuff, to "persuade" (fuck-over) Wii U owners into making the Switch™.

Yeah I'm also worried about Nintendo fucking over Wii U owners this year. Remember the great Nintendo WiFi destruction of 2012 (or was that 2013)? I'm wondering if we're going to have to make a group effort to backup server data...again. I'm glad Wiimmfi is still going.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5.5.2 is just going to break the exploits, that's it. One last try to make everyone buy Zelda: botw.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
5.5.2 is just going to break the exploits, that's it. One last try to make everyone buy Zelda: botw.
Okay, but for the final firmware update, it should be an even 6.0.0. Eventhough the Wii was left on 4.3 instead of 5.0

D

Deleted User

Yeah I'm also worried about Nintendo fucking over Wii U owners this year. Remember the great Nintendo WiFi destruction of 2012 (or was that 2013)? I'm wondering if we're going to have to make a group effort to backup server data...again. I'm glad Wiimmfi is still going.
Hopefully it will be active for years to come. I don't want it to shut down 2018....

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't imagine what they would do. I can see them coming out with one update that accounts for changes to their servers, but that's it. Maybe the Mii app will be updated to let you transfer your Miis to the Switch? I haven't used it in years.

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hope not since I just got my WiiU set up the way I like it :). If BotW does come with a firmware update, then I will wait for a firmware spoofer or something.

Just have to make sure I have downloaded all games and virtual console before 3-3, since you never know what will happen at that date.

Last edited by Muskusrat,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hope not since I just got my WiiU set up the way I like it :). If BotW does come with a firmware update, then I will wait for a firmware spoofer or something.

Just have to make sure I have downloaded all games and virtual console before 3-3, since you never know what will happen at that date.
Just install it with the Brazilian method like I will be, I don't think it will trigger needing a system update once it's installed.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would Nintendo keep servers up to support a system games are no longer being developed for? It will sit for a bit after the Switch is released and then taken down.,..why would they waste money to keep servers up, especially if no one's paying for the service? Esp since most complaining prob don't even buy games, but pirate them.

Svejk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Came here to find out whether BotW will require a new firmware or not. I'm still running at 5.3.2 and too afraid to update further. Had more than a few scares of Loadiine GX2 not working all of a sudden. I got the Wii U solely for my kids to enjoy BotW. I want to 'Day 1' it, but I may have to sit back and see what all happens for said hacked Wii U's.

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Came here to find out whether BotW will require a new firmware or not. I'm still running at 5.3.2 and too afraid to update further. Had more than a few scares of Loadiine GX2 not working all of a sudden. I got the Wii U solely for my kids to enjoy BotW. I want to 'Day 1' it, but I may have to sit back and see what all happens for said hacked Wii U's.
Update to 5.5.1 now and use Brazilian method to install the games. Easiest way for kids to use the WiiU anyway, since they can not click on the wrong thing. IF you wait to long then a new firmware might show up which is not hackable (straight away).

Svejk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update to 5.5.1 now and use Brazilian method to install the games. Easiest way for kids to use the WiiU anyway, since they can not click on the wrong thing. IF you wait to long then a new firmware might show up which is not hackable (straight away).
I'm afraid it's been a moment since I've done this. =P Is there a link you could provide that shows the steps on updating to 5.5.1 and how to install using the Brazilian method? It would be much appreciated!!!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉