Hardware Should I use a USB Y-cable, or is it a problem with my external hard drive?

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have explained to you why powering it with a y cable is not a good idea. If you still want to do that then good luck. I really don't understand why people ask for help and suggestions when they are not going to listen. I spent time out of my day to try and find the best solution for you, and to also write up a long and thorough reason why you shouldn't use a y cable to supply power. maybe you will be lucky and not damage your usb board in your wii u. a lot of people get away with it. That said, I have repaired several that had burnt resistors due to using a Y cable and the usb hdd had tried to pull too much amps. I'm done.

Reactions: thorasgar

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have explained to you why powering it with a y cable is not a good idea. If you still want to do that then good luck. I really don't understand why people ask for help and suggestions when they are not going to listen. I spent time out of my day to try and find the best solution for you, and to also write up a long and thorough reason why you shouldn't use a y cable to supply power. maybe you will be lucky and not damage your usb board in your wii u. a lot of people get away with it. That said, I have repaired several that had burnt resistors due to using a Y cable and the usb hdd had tried to pull too much amps. I'm done.
Um, I never said I would use a Y-cable; I said I would use something like this for the external power (as seen in some of the candidates, the second cable they include for external power connects to USB, but I DON'T plan to use it on the console):
usb_power_adapter_black.jpg

Of course, I have to make sure it supports 2.1 amps.

But yeah, I will consider using your suggestion at Amazon.

Last edited by MushGuy,

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, I never said I would use a Y-cable; I said I would use something like this for the external power (as seen in some of the candidates, the second cable they include for external power connects to USB, but I DON'T plan to use it on the console):
usb_power_adapter_black.jpg

Of course, I have to make sure it supports 2.1 amps.

But yeah, I will consider using your suggestion at Amazon.
I apologize. Yes, as long as it supports that many amps you are good to go. Had a long day so far. I usually do not act that way, so I am sorry about what I said.

Reactions: MushGuy

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had issues with my toshiba self powered until I got a Y cable. The Wii U doesnt have the balls to run one by itself, it seems.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by godreborn,

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I just thought of something. I happen to have a bigger external USB drive with external power that I used to have connected to my old Wii, so what I'm planning to do is transfer all of the files from that HDD to my portable HDD, and then plug the former to my Wii U. I'm still ordering a new enclosure for my portable HDD, because the SimpleSave enclosure that I have doesn't work well with my Wii (occasional spindowns), and hopefully the new enclosure should work properly without the spindowns. Besides, if I'm not wrong, the Wii's USB ports should have enough power for self-powered portable external HDDs, is that right (my Simplesave drive DID work after all, spindowns aside)? Correct me if I'm wrong. If so, then I'll have to still order recommended enclosure with external power.

And done, My big HDD is now my new Wii U external HDD, and my games now load faster! Now to look for a spindown-free enclosure.

Edit: Any recommendations for a spindown-free enclosure?

Last edited by MushGuy,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had a problem with my setup (y-cable), and I bought all of my games digitally, so it's always in use. I mostly game on the wii u, so it's had hundreds of hours worth of use. I've never had it disconnect or anything. u should be fine with a y cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey