Hacking Homebrew should I upgrade from 3.52 M33-4 to 3.71 M33?

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God no, don't do it.

Trust me, just don't, the kernel add-on is not without it's share of flaws and compatibility errors. (From my experience, DGen boots to a black screen and PSPRadio doesn't even show up anymore, along with various other apps running a tad bit buggy. They all worked perfectly on 3.52 M33-4)

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of PSPRadio, what's so good about it? I heard it plays MP3s, but I couldn't get it to do that, or even play radio stations. It was kind of disappointing, and I felt like I was doing something wrong. Plus the Links2 browser isn't too hot either.

TheNeck

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Oct 20 2007, 09:02 PM)]God no, don't do it.

Trust me, just don't, the kernel add-on is not without it's share of flaws and compatibility errors. (From my experience, DGen boots to a black screen and PSPRadio doesn't even show up anymore, along with various other apps running a tad bit buggy. They all worked perfectly on 3.52 M33-4)

Thanks [M­]artin for your input, i guess i wont then most likely. :'(

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
dunno i have 3.71 M33 with newest 1.5 kernel and works fine. but if your games doesn't require 3.71 then you probably don't need it.
I just installed it because i was bored.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of PSPRadio, what's so good about it? I heard it plays MP3s, but I couldn't get it to do that, or even play radio stations. It was kind of disappointing, and I felt like I was doing something wrong. Plus the Links2 browser isn't too hot either.
PSPRadio does play MP3's (but I just use the one in the XMB) although you need to stick 'em in a certain folder for them to show up, I believe, it's somewhere in the readme. For the radio stations, you have to make sure you have a working default internet configuration from Network Settings in your XMB. When you open up PSPRadio, hit Start and you should find the name of your internet config there. Activate it, then jump down to Get Latest Shoutcast DB, (this'll download a small file that updates the pre-compiled list of 500 available stations. Once it's done it should say 500 Stations Retrieved. Then move to Refresh Playlists and let it refresh the stations really fast. After that, hit Start again, choose a radio station and enjoy! (You don't have to do all of those step every time you start up PSPRadio, but I do, just to get the latest list of functioning stations, as some of the stations tend to go down from time to time, depending on the host).

You can also locate your own stations to stream on PSPRadio, aside from the pre-organized list. I just nabbed a .PLS (Shoutcast Station) file, stuck it in the appropriate folder, and it pops up under PSPRadio (although not under the Red Screen in the default color scheme, it's the Blue Screen, I forget their names
nyanya.gif
)

Lastly, I couldn't get it working when I first tried it and I later found out that I had overlooked the location of PSPRadio on my memstick. Try sticking it in the Game352 folder (if you're using 3.52, if not, just put it in the folder with your current fw #), I believe that was the folder that finally made it work for me. I had it in the regular Game folder and none of my settings in the PSPRadio Home menu would activate (internet connect would fail in PSPRadio only). If Game352 doesn't work, try moving it around to the other game folders and trying it. And remember to have your kernel set to 1.50 through the recovery menu.
wink.gif

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dunno i have 3.71 M33 with newest 1.5 kernel and works fine. but if your games doesn't require 3.71 then you probably don't need it.
I just installed it because i was bored.

Same, 3.71 is fine. I'm still running 3.52 on a fat psp and 3.71 on my slim. I'll upgrade the fat when I need to, until then I'll keep it as it is.

I think the god of war demo requires 3.60, but I certainly wouldn't upgrade just for that demo (or even the full game).

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I upgraded to it from 3.40 OE. I was actually pleased with the update since I found new features I never had, but I think were in 5.52 m33. w/e, I'm fine with it. But if you use homebrew alot, I guess [m]artin's advice sounds good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.