Hardware Should I just get a new laptop?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some barebones I see are just case+Motherboard+CPU, so you can pick and choose the RAM and drive and addon cards (video, wireless, etc.)

Well, that makes it easier for me ;) The only thing I forgot to mention was a monitor, but I don't need something super huge, so a 22"/23" would be good enough for what I do. :P This should be good http://www.amazon.com/Acer-S231HL-2...id=1358574765&sr=1-1&keywords=23+inch+monitor

or maybe this
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS239H-P...id=1358574798&sr=1-3&keywords=23+inch+monitor

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For monitors recently I've been using the Dell outlet, it's Dell's official refurb area, gotten a few and no issues yet.
http://outlet.dell.com/
Nice prices on business-level screens there. Their 20+ panels tend to have USB ports too.

I kinda get wary when it comes to refurbished hardware, I have no idea and knowing my luck, it probably wouldn't last long for me.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun on this whole "getting-a-desktop PC" thing.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Dell, huh?

I've, uh, had bad experiences with them as a company after working for their tech support....Not trying to downplay your suggestions at all, don't get me wrong, but Dell and I aren't exactly two peas in a pod...:O I, uh have my reasons for Dell not being the most favorable brand on my list. *hides in shame*

*Sigh* Don't know why I even contemplated getting a desktop.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Often times refurbs are more returned products that didn't have any faults (or the buyer realized that wasn't the best purchase they could've made). At least, I like to think so :P As for dislike of dell, just pass on them :)

Also, when you do think you're ready to commit a purchase, you can use a site like PC Part Picker to compare prices and other parts.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Often times refurbs are more returned products that didn't have any faults (or the buyer realized that wasn't the best purchase they could've made). At least, I like to think so :P As for dislike of dell, just pass on them :)

Also, when you do think you're ready to commit a purchase, you can use a site like PC Part Picker to compare prices and other parts.

Yeah, I couldn't say anything, because I would think it would be construed as being ungrateful or rude for the advice given. Ugh, my head's about to explode, what the hell did I get myself into now?:wacko:

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Dell, huh?

I've, uh, had bad experiences with them as a company after working for their tech support....Not trying to downplay your suggestions at all, don't get me wrong, but Dell and I aren't exactly two peas in a pod...:O I, uh have my reasons for Dell not being the most favorable brand on my list. *hides in shame*

*Sigh* Don't know why I even contemplated getting a desktop.
Not suggesting a cheap Dell desktop, I'm suggesting you look through their decent models, and refurb can get you a nice discount.

The laptop you have is the same sort of deal. It has the Lenovo brand, but it's a cheaper model aimed at the average user.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not suggesting a cheap Dell desktop, I'm suggesting you look through their decent models, and refurb can get you a nice discount.

The laptop you have is the same sort of deal. It has the Lenovo brand, but it's a cheaper model aimed at the average user.

Well, I have a hard time trusting Dell, but that's just me. As for my current laptop, I don't have a chance in hell in ever getting the money should I ever decide get a desktop, much less trying to convince Lenovo to exchange it for a better machine. Pretty sure it's not normal to feel buyer's remorse nearly a year after someone gets a product, I guess I made a s****y choice, go fig. But again, it's my own damn fault and no one else's. I should have done more research like I said before, but, I have to live with my choice.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a bad laptop. I'll take it if you decide it's not worth having.

Well.....if it's not bad, I don't know what is. *Sigh* I suddenly don't feel very good, like at all at the mess I created for myself, maybe I'll go on YouTube and watch videos of domesticated red foxes. Again, I'm unnecessarily beating myself up for the decision I made and I shouldn't be.

Man, I'm such a fool

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the current laptop works, then it works.
It works, but the heat is my major concern, 83 Celsius under heavy load frightens me, as does having it reach 73 when watching Netflix. I don't think my cooler is working as well as it should. But like I said, yes, it does get the job done, but too bad there's no way to swap its CPU with a Core i5, at least the temps would go down. I fear lest one of these days my CPU will get fried. I should have also mentioned that every now and then, the CPU fan will not kick in after resuming it from its sleep state, forcing a reboot because it begins to reach to dangerous levels. So, I'm conflicted.

Programs like Bsnes, Desmume, Dolphin, all cause the CPU to reach near 80 Celsius levels.

This might be better. http://www.amazon.com/Gaming-Laptop-Cooling-Turbine-SGA-4000-KKNF1/dp/B004G603E2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358576378&sr=1-1&keywords=gaming laptop cooler

Unagi

A disgrace to his famiry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, 80 Celsius? That's nothing. My Macbook Pro hits 90 Celsius from watching Youtube. :angry: I would take yours ANY DAY of the week. :nayps3:

Unagi

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rest assured, mine has a cooler too. ;) And it still runs like that. LOL. Not even gaming. :D I have the i7 laptop, so it kinda blows. I have a cooler underneath, and a tower fan right next to the exhaust vent.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rest assured, mine has a cooler too. ;) And it still runs like that. LOL. Not even gaming. :D I have the i7 laptop, so it kinda blows. I have a cooler underneath, and a tower fan right next to the exhaust vent.

I either get a desktop that has better cooling, or I get a better laptop cooler meant for gaming laptops. I get paranoid about high temps, I don't like the fact certain accurate 16-bit emulators cause the CPU to get so hot, same with Desmume. So yeah, I'm at a loss.

Unagi

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My personal opinion? You've invested in a solid piece, don't worry too much about it. 80 degrees is not bad at all. If the thing starts to shut itself down, THEN you have a problem. Computers are designed to shut down to prevent overheating. I can melt crayons on my exhaust, and it's not shutting down, so not a problem. Don't give up on it, be fortunate your machines actually good. I'd take it if you don't have a use for it. It beats mine a hundred ways.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more