Gaming Should I get a fat ps3?

Valini

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curious question: Should I trade in my 3k model slim ps3 for a fat 60gb ps3?

The reason why I ask is not necessarily about wanting to have a cfw machine but having a ps2 machine.

I've looked into these fat ps3s for the longest time. I wanted to get one, but I'm worried that if I get one pre owned (finding one new now is probably a hopeless cause) it'll die on me after a year. At least with the slim, I have a bit of security there.
I could buy a 60 gb from gamestop and get their warranties, but the 60 gb seems to be a bit expensive there as refurbished. The 220 dollar price won't scare me away, but I don't trust anything that isn't from there or amazon as the seller, especially when it comes to older consoles.

I could just get a ps2 as they are still common, but I don't want to clutter myself with two consoles and have to constantly switch between them.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what are you trying to do here with the ps3? are you looking for less room? or something else?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No.

381.jpeg

Coolguy7c

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would get the 60 gig model. You will have a ps3 and a ps2 all in one. Plus if you do experience a breakdown check you can find fixes on youtube. Just search google to see if there are common defects in the 60 gig model. As long as you plan ahead and be ready for a problem you will be prepared for the worst. However I doubt any problems will arise. ;)

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Buy a cheap used PS2 and keep the Slim. It's a lot cheaper to use a PS2 for PS2 gaming without the risk of a YLOD on the PS3 phat. Just like the RRoD, you may not know if the console has had issues with the YLOD. If it has already suffered from it and it's been temporarily fixed, it's a gamble in terms of how long it'll last.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I recommend you just get PS2 Slim. It will be cheaper than you buying FAT PS3 and selling Slim to make up the difference.

With FAT PS3, you need to do some preventive maintenances to keep long term reliability.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you're a collector, yes. Otherwise, no.

There's no reason at all to invest in an early design of the system that may very well die on you just for the sake of poor backwards compatibility - you're better off investing in a Slim or a Super Slim and a side order of delicious PS2 - they'll look glorious together, like two monoliths a'la Space Odyssey.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides, most PS2 games on PS3 BC look horrible.

That issue was fixed in Firmware 1.5 so that is pretty old.

Although PS1 and PS2 games on the PS3 still are not quite as good as they where on the PS2, at least in my opinion.

I would get a fat PS2 model 7 if you can find it they supposedly have the least amount of issues and if you can find the network adapter and an IDE drive that fits and works you can have hard drive loading of your PS2 games.

I own 3 model 7 PS2's and a PS3 fat 20GB that is hacked, depending on the games you like (this is my opinion so take it as an opinion not a fact.) you might enjoy the PS2 more than the PS3. I know I do...

Valini

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides, most PS2 games on PS3 BC look horrible.

That issue was fixed in Firmware 1.5 so that is pretty old.

Although PS1 and PS2 games on the PS3 still are not quite as good as they where on the PS2, at least in my opinion.

I would get a fat PS2 model 7 if you can find it they supposedly have the least amount of issues and if you can find the network adapter and an IDE drive that fits and works you can have hard drive loading of your PS2 games.

I own 3 model 7 PS2's and a PS3 fat 20GB that is hacked, depending on the games you like (this is my opinion so take it as an opinion not a fact.) you might enjoy the PS2 more than the PS3. I know I do...

I wasn't even aware of this.

I'll look for a cheap ps2 then.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. If you can, do it.

Yes, YLOD is an issue; the original models could double as furnaces, particularly because Sony decided to sell a $600 USD console and then spend $0.0000003/console on thermal paste that clearly did not work. If you do get one and it happens to be unopened, there would be three things I would say to do as a preventative...
  1. REPLACE THE THERMAL PASTE for something more effective. There are numerous alternatives. Arctic Silver 5 works nicely enough. There's other compounds better suited for such an application, but AS5 is cheap and can be had even at a local Radio Shack.
  2. For the sake of efficiency, replace the power supply. For some reason unlike a traditional Switching power supply that only draws a current if there is a need for it, the old PS3's just drew all the current it could even when there wasn't a need for it. The APS-231 model supplies from neutered phat systems is not only connector-compatible with the old CECHA's, but it draws about 100W's less power, too. That should at least make whoever pays the electricity happier. :)
  3. Finally, for the sake of noise and cooling efficiency, replace the system fan. While a factory 60gig did start with a 19-blade fan, many of these can be worn pretty much especially with the kind of heat they pump out. And if it'd been remanufactured or made late, there is a chance (albeit small) that Sony chimped out and put a 15-blade fan in the console that is both less efficient and noisier. If you're opening it up, you might as well install the Talismoon Whisper fan to help.
While my 60gig did have a 19-blade fan, the 20gig I rescued from one of my friends did not... so I migrated the 19-blade over to it when I finished doing the above to my 60gig. Originally, my old 60gig could easily heat up the room. I can say from personal experience that it's a lot more manageable now, even if the temps read from multiman get a bit high for my personal tastes.

As for the BC on the PS3, the 60gig definitely is the best way to go. The emulation fixes especially by around firmware 2.40 definitely addressed a lot of things. If anything, playing PS1 and PS2 games on a 60gig PS3 is better than playing them on the actual PS1/2, even when using the same cables. It's even better on HDMI.

I just wish modders and teams that made stuff like the E3 flasher wouldn't have completely neglected us NAND ps3 users. I would have loved a no-solder solution to backing up and restoring the NAND to try out some of these other CFW's and stuff. But noooo... focus on the gimped ones, is all they do. :nayps3:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?