Homebrew Should i buy a WII U?

EricHarris_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So im curious if i should buy a Wii U,

I want it to play some backup games, gamecube games (thats possible right?)

should i buy it brand new or pre owned? if i want to "hack" it

also does it matter what firmware? for CFW etc..

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So im curious if i should buy a Wii U,

I want it to play some backup games, gamecube games (thats possible right?)

should i buy it brand new or pre owned? if i want to "hack" it

also does it matter what firmware? for CFW etc..
You can play gamecube, wii, and wii u

It doesn't matter, but if you are buying pre owned make sure it comes with a gamepad or else you can't install hacks

Any firmware works, but the latest (5.5.1) is the only firmware with CFW

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with everything xtheman said and to add to that, don't be complacent because Nintendo could release a new update at any moment which could very much limit your options to hack it.

D

Deleted User

ok thanks.. might buy a wii u second hand /pre owned

anything to know before buying?
Don't buy already modded consoles since some of them might have bricked vWii [Unable to update system]
Aim for Mario Kart 8 bundle [5.5.1E] or Day one [NSMB.U+NSL.U, comes with 1.0.0] since these are 100% clean.

EricHarris_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok well thanks for the tips

im going to buy one from cex (second hand shop) soon,

is there anything i need to run home brew / back up / gamecube games?

I have a dualshock 4 controller and a USB

i do have a SD-CARD but not a reader to well, use it on my PC

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Man, if just wanna play wiiu games for "free", I suggest you build a pc, the wiiu emulator scene is having great improvement right now, and I think it will run commercial games very soon... Plus there are toon of other multiplatform games to pirate for free....

Inviato dal mio VIE-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Man, if just wanna play wiiu games for "free", I suggest you build a pc, the wiiu emulator scene is having great improvement right now, and I think it will run commercial games very soon... Plus there are toon of other multiplatform games to pirate for free....

Inviato dal mio VIE-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

I have a great PC and I prefer using the Wii U. There's something nice about that familiar UI, the grid where all of your games are stored. Plus, CEMU requires a pretty good PC, far more than the cost of just buying a used Wii U. Getting free games is far easier on the Wii U than the headache of using CEMU at the moment. Plus there's other homebrew, cheats, modding, trainers, much more.

Also, I like using the Wii U and it's simple to navigate menus on my TV.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what the going secondhand rate is really, but Nintendo's official eBay store in US is selling refurbished Wii U 32gb with Nintendo Land for $200. It includes a 1 year warranty and ships free.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen Ebay posts for less than £200. Some people are selling them dirt cheap, some have sold for less than £90 at auction.

KevinLSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing to take note of is thst you wont be able to run wiiu, wii and gamecube games off the same hard drive. You'll need one for wiiu and one for wii and gamecube. Also do not use a flash drive for wiiu games, get an hdd with a y cable for seperate power.

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
If you don't have a powerful PC.. I can say surely right now that THE WII U IS THE PERFECT CONSOLE FOR NINTENDO FANS (when hacked at least)
You can play some wonderful Wii U games, Wii games and GC games, and also VC games and with injection you can play almost any game (though it is pretty hard for noobs like me to inject and you have to find injections on the internet).
It is like having 6 generations of home Nintendo console + GBA games + TurboGrafx16 (if you even care about it) with some great controller options

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You should if you haven't played Wii U games and if you can get it cheap. But if you're getting one because you want to play GC, Wii, VC games, etc., you are better off playing it on Dolphin emulator. Personally, getting a Wii U for its games is definitely worth it. I'm still playing it for Breath of the Wild and going to play Xenoblade Chronicles X. And of course, it is backwards compatible to all Nintendo games before it, except the 3DS. :P

D

Deleted User

You can use pendrive with your Wii U but don't keep it plugged 24/7 [It will die eventually, mine still works even though i'm using it for ~5 months for Wii U games]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.