Hardware should i buy a faulty ps3?

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hi all

ok, i wanna play DC universe and saints row 3 when its released but i cant afford a new ps3.

my question is, should i buy a faulty ps3 that wont read discs? id just plan to download dc universe and SR3.

would a faulty disc drive indicate its gonna break in other areas?
do slim ps3's still get YLOD?
how much do games cost in the psnetwork? if i started buying more games would it be a lot more costly than buying actual discs?

thanks in advance peeps

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
mrpinkeye said:
hi all

ok, i wanna play DC universe and saints row 3 when its released but i cant afford a new ps3.
There's no guarantee those will be playable since they require the latest firmware. An upcoming cfw claims it can play them though
http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/jfw-dh...-6x-games-1493/

my question is, should i buy a faulty ps3 that wont read discs? id just plan to download dc universe and SR3.
your risk--I wouldn't spend more than a $100 on a dead drive ps3.(make sure it's 3.55 or less or no cfw)

would a faulty disc drive indicate its gonna break in other areas?
no
do slim ps3's still get YLOD?
yes, but not near as often as fats
how much do games cost in the psnetwork? if i started buying more games would it be a lot more costly than buying actual discs?
$5-$30 about $15 average.

thanks in advance peeps
yurwelcum
tongue.gif

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could buy a faulty ps3 and play backups but not the ones your buying a ps3 for.

All new games have the 3.6/3.7 keys embedded in the game itself and at the moment we only have the keys for 3.55 and below

So any older games are no problem but newer games are a no go (for now)

I think the change happened around the time mass effect 3 was released, so any game before that youwon't have a problem with but anything newer won't work (albeit for a few exceptions)

This applies to legit games you buy as well either in disk form or off psn, if its encoded with the new keys then you have no hope, plus if you update to 3.55 jailbreak you cant play online or go online at all, but if you upgrade to 3.72 official (latest version) you can't play backups but you can go online

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
im a bit confused. im used to 360's...

can i not just put the ps3 online, go to the online shop and buy the latest games?

i dont wanna mod it or anything, i just wanna buy legit games online

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
mrpinkeye said:

can i not just put the ps3 online, go to the online shop and buy the latest games?

I don't think those games will be available online (psn at least, hehe)--they're too big to be dlc

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i thought i read somewhere DCUO was definatly downloadable when i read about it becoming free to play (maybe they will release it end of october when its free to play?)

and how much bigger is SR3 compared to GTA4? i thought you could download gta4 on 360, jus assumed that size game was downloadable on ps3
frown.gif

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh if you want to play legit then yeah it shouldn't be a problem, as the poster above me said though there's no guarantee they'll be available on the psn, so yeah you could go and get a broken ps3 but you may be left with no games you like to play on it

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mrpinkeye said:

Some games are available from the PSN store, however it is very rare that newly released games are available. Buy one with a working disc drive or wait it out for new CFW.

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yusuo said:
Oh if you want to play legit then yeah it shouldn't be a problem, as the poster above me said though there's no guarantee they'll be available on the psn, so yeah you could go and get a broken ps3 but you may be left with no games you like to play on it

im a bit concerned now though!

1) what kinda games are too big for DLC?
2) how much do the latest games cost to download on psn?
3) whats CFW?

thanks guys

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) what kinda games are too big for DLC?
They have alot of choice though having cfw i havent been online in a while so I don't know what currently available, but i don't think the games your after will be a problem tbh

2) how much do the latest games cost to download on psn?
around £30-£40 depending on the title

3) whats CFW?
CFW = Custom firmware its what we pirates use to play downloaded games from torrents or other illegal sources

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you assume incorrectly, the wii is alot tougher than the ps3 to mod, ive done both, ps3 is just as simple as running a modified update file via usb, thats it. no tinkering with ios or anything like than just run one file and you can play modified games but as I said none of the newer games (about 3-4 months old) will play

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thats good news about the ease of modding, i found the wii so easy i didnt think it could get easier!

and thanks for the list of games...DCUO is on it which is a start
smile.gif

wonder how long after SR3 is released before theyd put it on there...

or im assuming id be waiting for the latest mod to enable me to play it the "other way"
wink.gif

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The xbox is a lot better with digital releases, but random crazy idea here, instead of looking at wiki to see what games are available why don't you look at the ps store website, you may need to create a playstation gamer tag before anything can be done but you'll need to do that sooner or later if you're gunna get a ps3 anyways

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)