Shiren the Wanderer 2 Translation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by xvirus, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2009

xvirus New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Man its been a long time since I've posted here! A few months ago I decided to pick up Shiren the Wander 2 as my next project after Spectral Force Genesis got brought over officially. Lately I've been busy unpacking from my recent move, so I never had time to post anything up here but.. well... guess I have time now [IMG] Anyways, progress has been pretty sporadic so far, but I think I've been able to get a decent amount of work in so far. Hopefully I'll be able to release an alpha patch with what I have done so far sometime this week(just need to double check a few things,fix errors, etc etc).

To do:
    - Figure out the font system for dungeon names
    - Lots and lots of translation to do.
    - Story(?)
    - Change player name from unicode characters to ascii(not 100% needed, but would be nice)

Screenies:
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!

Update: Just finished the second version of the patch! I don't feel like copypastaing so you can just read about whats new in the readme file :3

Download: Shiren the Wanderer 2 Translation V0.2

Follow this project @ Orenji Translations Blog

9th_Sage New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Ah, nice. So this is a DS game card then? I'd heard that there would be a new Shiren game, but I thought it was going to be DSiware for some reason.

xvirus New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yup, it was released last year. From what I've heard though, the second game wouldn't be localized due to poor sales of the first game.

kennypu New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    oh wow you're translating the shiren series? I'm a fan x]. I'll help if you need help x3

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Message Count:
    as one of the biggest shiren freak i can only say that i love you!
    please if there is ANYTHING i can do to help just say it
    • Newcomer

inthegray New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    posted here.

might be wise to get some of the translated text and help from the members of the shiren the wanderer wiki -- this thread has lots of translated items, too.

xvirus New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Awesome :V I've actually been double-checking a lot of my translations with those on the shiren 2 wiki... they've been a huge help!

9th_Sage New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    As a huge fan of the first game, I wish you luck. I know that the first is easily one of the best rouge-like games on the DS.

psycoblaster Divine

Message Count:
    Korea, South
    I'm not sure if this is for Shiren the Wanderer 1 or 2, but from one of them, I remember that there was a separate file for the width table..

xvirus New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Thanks for the info! I totally overlooked that file. Only problem is, even though the space is on that table, it doesn't respond to changes like the other characters do :/ I was able to get the spacing (crudely) fixed by blanking out the | character in the font and replacing spaces with that. Not the best option from my standpoint, but it works in the end. Time to go replace all my spaces with |'s now *shoots self* [IMG]

Jeda New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    Very nice! So.. will you say Hi and spread the good news at the Shiren wiki as well ?

xvirus New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Will do that later(should have the first patch out today or tomorrow :3). Still working on changing over the spaces XD

Chrono_Tata New Member

Message Count:
    Thailand
    Shiren needs more love. Been hoping for this game to be translated since it was announced. Best of luck to the project and I hope you manage to translate the story. [IMG]

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Message Count:
    since i seems to understand that the patch is going to be menu only,will there be a walktrough of sort to supplement the story bits (like i played a bit and i don't have the slighest clue of what i have to do after reaching the first town)
    ?

xvirus New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Well, right now the plan is everything but the story. I'd love to do the story as well, but don't currently have a translator(he's too busy teaching) and I'm still learning Japanese, so my skills aren't quite up to par for handling dialogue yet.

kennypu New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I said earlier in the post, but I can translate, i'm fully fluent (lived in japan for 9 years, lol). I'm getting into ram hacking anyways, so it would be great if I can help out

xvirus New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    [IMG] That'd be so awesome if you could help with that! I'm still trying to log all of the control codes(they seem to be different when it comes to dialogue for some reason XD). Hopefully when I finish that, I can write up a program to help with the dialogue, as those seem to mostly be in separate files where as the menu/monsters/etc. were all in the arm9 file. My girlfriend's family is visiting now, so I'm not sure when I'll have time to write one up, but hopefully soon!

kennypu New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    thats fine take your time :3. if you can tell me the specific file or narc file that has the dialogues (Becuase i'm lazy xD), I can go ahead and get started though

xvirus New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Just posted up the first version of the patch :3

kennypu: I'll toss you a PM with the info as not to clutter this thread more.

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Message Count:
    doesn't work for me... i create the patched rom but my flashcard doesn't open it and if i try to open it with an emulator it says it has a bad header or something
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.