I liked it. It was fun.

Edited for clarity.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I heard it wasn't anything like the real Sherlock Holmes, but since I never read them, I can't say the same thing. It was a good movie overall, but it felt a little too drawn out. If they made the movie shorter I would be raving about it. Otherwise, great acting, great special effects, and great costume design.

I did love how everything that was so-called "magic" was explained in the end by Holmes.

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
haven't seen it yet, but from the trailer footage i would say that this new concept of holmes is inspirated by james bond and the action cult of today. they wanted to make that dusty old detective attractive for the mass, nothing for real holmes fans for sure, but since i am no real holmes fan the film looks interesting to me. i wanna see it:.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
I have watched many different versions of sherlock holmes over the years and always look on them as individuals interpretation of the character. Holmes wit and cunning no matter who has played him is always the same. Downey has done no harm to the character, but given holmes a new breath of air for the next generation that is today. A more personal look at the man himself instead of just a murder plot that he must solve. A solid 8/10 for the movies new style of Holmes

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've watched the classic Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies as well as the newer series that airs on PBS. I found this new movie rather refreshing and interesting. It wasn't perfect, but i'd give it an 8/10.

I didn't expect to like it from the trailer. It looked way too action-oriented for a Sherlock Holmes film. To my pleasure, it had his classic wit, intelligence, and sleuthing. I welcomed the action parts as a new addition and thought the sleuthing and action complemented each other quite well. Wasn't a fan of all of the side character, but Robert Downey Jr did an excellent job at Holmes. He felt like he took the best of the other film interpretations of Holmes and added his own charm and style to make it fresh.

The only gripes I have are with the villain, who wasn't very intimidating at all. He's quite bland actually, striking no fear into you. I didn't find the villainous plot very good, but at least the way it is presented and resolved is well done. The supporting actors/actresses were ok, and Watson was fairly good. Not a fan of the fighting woman (forgot her name). I like a female who is independent, and am NOT a sexist by any means, but it goes against the time period. Just the facts.

Here's hoping the inevitable sequel will bring a better villain with the cliffhanger with Professor Moriarty. It's clearly set up for him to be the driving force in the future, and we never see his face.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the movie was so so. i came in thinking i would enjoy it more than i would avatar. but i ended up sleeping halfway through the movie and work up at the end, where they explained everything i missed. really there is only one reason you would watch this move. Rachel McAddams.

ericling

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The movie was okay okay .
smile.gif

Give it 7.0/10 I prefer Avatar
biggrin.gif

I only enjoy like 1hour.Some part is tooo dry.Nothing interesting.But I like the background music SOOOO MUCH~!!!
tongue.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved this movie. Wife® and I took my folks to see it on Xmas day, and we enjoyed the hell out of it.

Yes, it is a little more action-packed than the tales of old, but... hell, it's still a VERY good Holmes story. I adored the interaction of Downey & Law... perfect chemistry together. And Law was almost adorable in parts... his reactions to things, slight facial changes at times. He did a fantastic job.

I'd give this a 7/10 (hah, OLL listeners will enjoy that >_>). I wouldn't say "see it in theaters," but everyone should check it out when its available at home. It's got the same "fun" feel of Indiana Jones and Back To The Future of just an entertaining movie w/out any majorly bad moments (effecting the story, like major stress on the main characters, etc etc). No, it's not as classic as them, but once it's on TV, it'll be one that i turn on and enjoy the whole way through... i'll probably buy it as well.

kingsanto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was quite good, especially going into it knowing nothing about it other than Robert Downey Jr. was in it(I only knew that from looking up the show times on my phone). I thought that Jude Law made an interesting Dr. Watson. It was definitely different that the Sherlock Holmes I remember as a kid, but different in a good way.

Rogue Trader

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty good, certainly an enjoyable movie, although not an instant classic or anything- 7/10.

Not a patch on the old black and white ones though.

Blue Zoidberg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quite enjoyable movie, far better than Avatar (more believable graphics, and a plot)
Guy Ritchie films are always enjoyable and his take on Holmes and Watson, though a little more 'action packed' than the traditional novels & short stories, was a far better depiction of the duo than the majority of film has ever done (with the exception of Jeremy Brett in Adventures of Sherlock Holmes).

It was also refreshing to see a Holmes who knows how to fight.

ericling

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Robert Downey's performance in this movie is impressive. Like him so much
biggrin.gif
( no gay lol)

Anyone have the video that the Sherlock was fighting with the big man guy(dun know his name) using a piece of a cloth to distract target at the beginning of the fight.

That scene was soo damn cool
wub.gif

Edit: I found it
biggrin.gif

But embed is not available
frown.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Lj-jteoc4

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I went and saw it last week.
I liked it, very well made, overall a great blend of action, mystery, drama, and comedy.
Plus Homes himself was hot, in weird way,

Still I would say a 7.5 to an 8/10, it's hard to find a rank for this movie.

I love the part when he was handcuffed to the bad, that was funny as hell.

Wuggleworld

Trophies
XP
Country
I was trying to convince my wife we should watch it tonight but she was too tired
frown.gif

Glad to read your reviews - sounds like it will be worth waiting a few more days for...

gotchapt

Trophies
XP
Country
I found it quite boring. 14/20

Posts merged

A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
I liked it, very well made, overall a great blend of action, mystery, drama, and comedy.

Hey, you forgot the part you say you went with your boyfriend.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
gotchapt said:
I found it quite boring. 14/20

Posts merged

A Gay Little Cat Boy said:

Hey, you forgot the part you say you went with your boyfriend.
No, this time I went with my brother.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse