Shenmue 3 kickstarter announced during Sony conference reaches $2m goal under 24hrs.

A new Shenmue game was announced during the pre-E3 Sony press conference. By the end of the conference (about 40 minutes later) the Kickstarter project had already raised over five hundred thousand dollars out of the 2,000,000 pledge!

At the time of posting this, the project already received nearly 600k USD in funding. Well done Sony!
Update: the project was successfully funded within half a day! Shenmue 3 will be a reality!

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

download.jpg

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to remind everyone, those who pledge 60 get a free copy of the game. So this is more like presales than anything else.
Without this method, a lot of niche games will never get green-lit.

I suggest they start doing this for all niche western localizations, 60 dollar presale on Kickstarter.
Localization of Yakuza Ishin, Yakuza Kenzan, Yakuza Zero, Yakuza HD Collection would all be greenlit in under 24hrs using this Kickstarter method.

There are tons of games that have a huge niche fanbase that never get localized because its too risky, if localization were all green-lit using Kickstarters than the fans would only have themselves to blame if games don't get localized.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so, I watched a video that really helped put things in perspective. I know the guy will be some youtuber you've likely never seen before, but what he has to say is pretty legit and help clears up a lot of the misinformation being spread by gaming sites asserting that Sony is funding this project.

The tl;dw is that basically, Sony has only agreed to pay the marketing costs for Shenmue 3, and it is maybe verified that they're paying the cost to have the game ported from PC to PS4. Sony has not actually agreed to fund development, which has been verified by the guy running the project as a whole who said in an interview to expect the majority of the funding to come from the Kickstarter campaign. Granted, Sony doing the marketing for the game is no small thing. That is a huge chunk of change that doesn't have to come out of Kickstarter funds to get the game recognized and out there. It still means that what you see at the end of the Kickstarter is in all likelihood what you can expect from the final product. If a stretch goal isn't hit, extra Sony funding isn't going to get it in the game. If there isn't enough money for a big world with lots to do from Kickstarter money, there won't be a big world with lots to do when the game releases.

Unlike with other major Kickstarter campaigns for games as of late, this one seems to have already made the best deal they could see themselves getting from anybody and are otherwise entirely reliant on the fans to get the funds to make the game. With that said, if you want Shenmue 3, if you want it really badly, consider tossing in that extra $10 or $20 instead of base cost for a digital copy. It won't be the game some of you have been waiting 14 years for if you aren't willing to toss in the money to make it happen.

Edit: Granted, I will give you all this -

It would be difficult to craft a Shenmue game that doesn't even have 1/10th of the budget of the inflated original cost to make the first two games. Especially with game development costs only going up, not down, it seems safe to think that even if another major publisher isn't on board for funding the project yet, they may very well be. In the end, Sony is just doing marketing and PS4 porting. I could see another publisher being able to make a deal, but it seems far less likely that Sony will simply say "yeah, I don't mind if someone else hops in and starts taking profits". At the same time, it may have to happen if Sony doesn't intend on contributing funding towards actual development, which at this point in time, we have no reason to believe they are.

Last edited by Nathan Drake,

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I'd give a pass to Sony on that one, considering they're on the verge of bankruptcy, but let's not be a habit.

Now if Sega was to start a Kickstarter to build a DreamCast 2, then I would dive head first.
Shenmue 3 on PS4 makes it DC2 by default.

Btw, it's pronounced Shen-moo not 'Shen-mu-eh'!! I hate when I watch a YT video and they say the name wrong.

EDIT: I wish they'd include Shenmue 1 & 2 in HD because buying them for DC are quite expensive and the DC controller isn't that great.

Me0wTwo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shenmue 3 on PS4 makes it DC2 by default.

Btw, it's pronounced Shen-moo not 'Shen-mu-eh'!! I hate when I watch a YT video and they say the name wrong.

EDIT: I wish they'd include Shenmue 1 & 2 in HD because buying them for DC are quite expensive and the DC controller isn't that great.

I mean, you have emulation, and even an xbox version for Shenmue 2, but I do have to admit, I'd quite enjoy a nice HD release of 1&2 for PC atleast >.>

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And they were so ambitious about their 5 million, and more.

As Ryu looks that silly, I don't spend any money. He looked better on Dreamcast! :mellow:

10 million dollar stretch goals? You gotta be shittin me. :O

Last edited by BORTZ,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I donated $120. Just got back from holiday and watched Sony's E3 presser with no spoilers and couldn't believe it. Incredible. Deserves $5mil+
And they were so ambitious about their 5 million, and more.

As Ryu looks that silly, I don't spend any money. He looked better on Dreamcast! :mellow:
Well, it hit 5M and there are physical and digital copies from both Windows and PS4.

That's a silly reason not to pledge.

10 million dollar stretch goals? You gotta be shittin me. :O

1/2 way there.

Reactions: Bimmel

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Let's hope the creator doesn't Devil's Third this game. It would be a pretty shitty move and all those who backed him via Kickstarter would be god damn pissed.

Anyway, he's yet to release Shenmue 3 and already thinking of Shenmue 4. Wow. Hold yer horses, dude.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, it hit 5M and there are physical and digital copies from both Windows and PS4.

That's a silly reason not to pledge.

1/2 way there.
Yes, it is a silly reason. But when I don't like the main characters design, I don't want to play as him/her.
And I do not have that kind of connection to the old titles.

10 million was just to much after all, that is all I'm saying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning