Hardware Sharp releases 3D screen, no glasses required

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Source: http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2010/04/03...ns-lunette-.php (serious french newspaper, if you find articles in english, please post link)
Not an april fools joke btw!

a3b009ae-3e9d-11df-97d2-019df048c806.jpg

Sharp launches a small screen 3D without glasses
Google Translation said:
The Japanese group considers that smartphones will adopt its technology that reproduces images in relief. 3DS Nintendo console should use.

The story accelerates. This Friday, the Japanese group Sharp has introduced a tiny touch screen, color, reproducing 3D videos. The big innovation is that this screen does not require glasses. A step that should be taken seriously. Unfashionable as it may eventually large screen televisions in 3D now being launched in the U.S. by Samsung and Panasonic but need to don special glasses.

However, to see the effect in relief, it is necessary to be right in front of the small screen, 30 cm apart. "We can only produce small screen in this technology. In addition, 12.7 cm diagonal. It must be well in front, otherwise the perception of 3D fade, "says Patrick Chardin, director at Sharp France. To develop its new technology, the Japanese group has improved its previous innovations. Three years ago, in Tokyo, Sharp has introduced an innovative technology which allowed three people to watch at the same time, a different program broadcast by the same TV, depending on the position of each face on the screen. Each point on the screen was broadcasting a different image depending on the viewing angle of the viewer.

According to this principle, with an image emitted for each eye, the semiconductor division of Sharp has designed its new 3D display device called an "interlaced effect. The additional cost compared to a conventional screen is not excessive. For the screen in landscape consists of a conventional LCD panel on which is placed a filter.

Nintendo

But because of its limited size for the 3D effect, "we focus on three markets: portable gaming devices, smartphones (note: mobile phones for surfing) and embedded screens, such as GPS in cars" said Patrick Chardin.

Production should begin in September. One of the first objects that can use this technology should be the next portable game console, Nintendo 3DS, announced last week and promised for 2011. For its previous screens of the DS, sold 125 million units, Nintendo had already appealed to Sharp as a supplier.

Nintendo's next console will be presented in June in Los Angeles at E3. The Japanese group said the old games the DS can be reused on its future console. With 3DS, the group led by Satoru Iwata will take another step ahead of the Sony PSP (67 million), which was sold two times less than the DS. In addition, the CEO of Nintendo will reduce competition from the iPhone and iPod Touch which guests are on the market for portable game consoles.

Moreover, it could sell 78 million smartphones equipped with 3D screens by 2018, says DisplaySearch. For now, only one mobile is sold only in Japan by Hitachi, with a 3D effect without glasses.

Well, that's great news!
At least now we know it's doable, it won't be like that DSiware thingy that everyone thought it would be.
smile.gif

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
ohmy.gif
Ghost deer!

Yeah, I think these will be the screens used on the 3DS. Although, if production begins in September, how will Nintendo have one at E3? I guess they will have a prototype or something to use in the 3DS.

Comrade Cough

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:
Ofcourse it will, and it will be released christmas 2011

Well, if Sony shows even the slightest bit of doing that, Nintendo will probably release the 3DS either this coming holiday season (8 months to shove money down developers throats.), or just slightly before whatever Sony is going to dish up.

My money is firmly placed around Q3 though (This or next year, probably next), it's really always been there launch point, it gives just enough time for the craze to catch on and then BAM! Holidays.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I read about this earlier on on another site. the screen is vibrating or something that's why it's unsutable for large sceen tv's. it will be perfect for handhelds etc.

Frogman

This could be you!
Trophies
Website
www.frogmanreviews.com
XP
Country
i think this is just amazing,,
like i never thought id be experiencing this so early in my lifetime like didnt yesterday we had to wear those blue and red glasses that like removed all the color and gave us a headache..
im just ...flabbergasted
tongue.gif
... does anyone else find this amazing

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
it seems like it will be very practical since 30cm is quite far considering ur playing a handheld game... 12.5cm also looks like a very large screen
sharp is pretty good so i think tht wouldnt be bad if they actually did take their screens

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then, it looks like the DSlite will be my last hand held after all. If they're gonna use some magic screens that require both eyes to see the 3D image, then the 3DS will be useless to me since I only have one eye to see with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night