Share upcoming title/demo/console features for now old consoles.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier this afternoon on IRC
"if nintendo ds is really old right now"
I then got rebranded FOSSIL6191.

A while back someone on the forums said "really old consoles like the N64" and that also made me pause, mainly I remembered watching the following on TV

Any similarities between that guy's delivery and my own are purely coincidental.

To that end please do share your favourite (or not so favourite) old pieces of advertising, demos, footage or general features on upcoming consoles.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It could be I didn't watch enough television as a kid (or maybe Belgium was kind of forgotten in the console wars), but I hardly ever saw any commercial for any video game. It was all mouth-to-mouth. Heck, I never even knew that whole "nintendont" thing sega pulled.

But I do remember seeing this one on televsion:

Oh, and not really a commercial, but I certainly DO remember that whole "multimedia" thing. I had been working with computers for some years, and suddenly everyone started talking as if "multimedia" was something like a CPU or memory. At first I thought I was the one being stupid not getting it...until it dawned on me that others somehow hadn't grasped the concept that a computer already could do that, and that it being a "multimedia device" was like saying that a car was a "device that allows you to move forward".

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's funny, you know. Looking back, Game Boy games weren't THAT good, but they still had a huge success. I wonder why?

It had price/quality over the competition, and that the things were made to be handled (or perhaps better put: abused) by kids certainly made it a safer investment by parents (who had to buy them those things). Make no mistake: that commercial targets the parents as much as their children.

Reactions: Vipera

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's funny, you know. Looking back, Game Boy games weren't THAT good, but they still had a huge success. I wonder why?

It's not like there was much other viable choice. Now I bring my phone and Vita or 3DS out everyday. That's not taking into account my kindle or tablet. Back than the only other option was reading a book or listening to music via bulky walkmans.

Tapes as a medium were fucking shit.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

Gameboy had pokemon.. A game like no other back than.

I invested like 300 hours(pokemon gold)... I feel for my parents and the amount of money went into buying battery.

Now the graphics don't hold up but than its was more about the imagination...

Kids these days are like zombies. Who needs HD or they throw a hizzy fit.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

I invested like 300 hours(pokemon gold)... I feel for my parents and the amount of money went into buying battery.

batteries? u mean you didnt had rechargable ones?
rechargable batteries were obligatory for every gameboy addict! i still remember leaving mine charging all night and the next day i could play all day

on topic:

when i saw this commercial i was really impressed
and for all this years i still didn't tried a kinect..
is the kinect a fail detector? is it accurate?
and did the xbox get all the features\games on this commercial? now that i see the commercial again it looks totally a bullshit, but i never tried a kinect..

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
batteries? u mean you didnt had rechargable ones?
rechargable batteries were obligatory for every gameboy addict! i still remember leaving mine charging all night and the next day i could play all day

I have rechargable batteries now..

But than for some reason we didnt and no one I knew I had rechargable batteries... For some reason. :unsure:

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gold and Silver were released in 2000 in the US and 2001 in Europe. I played Silver on my Game Boy Advance. I was talking about a way back period of time where mediocre games (at best) were in the stores yet everyone had a Game Boy around. The Top 10 of best GB games might as well be called the only 10 playable GB games. Before the Pocket, gamers had Pokémon Red/Blue (I don't consider them good games), Link's Awakening, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Donkey Kong Land, Tetris and... that's it. These were the most enjoyable titles. Six games. Even the Wii U can do better than that. And before you ask no, I don't consider any Castlevania and Final Fantasy game to be playable. Not even close. I liked the explaination of Taleweaver and emigre better, as they were the only serious choice. Still though, I wish they skipped right to the Game Boy Color instead of the Pocket version. That was a half-decent console just for Crystal alone.

EDIT: to not go completely OT, I remember this one too

Basically the ad says "THE ONLY GAME THING THAT CAN TURN INTO A FULL COLOR TV HOLY SHIT". No other selling points, heh.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
is the kinect a fail detector? is it accurate?
and did the xbox get all the features\games on this commercial? now that i see the commercial again it looks totally a bullshit, but i never tried a kinect..

Just do a quick google for "best kinect games". If top ten lists show shovelware-kind of games in their BEST games, you'll know the thing isn't exactly a homerun. :P

Can't really comment on the accurateness myself (10-15 minutes with the thing isn't enough to have an opinion). Going by some others, like Yahtzee...I'd say it is NOT accurate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol