Hacking Setting up home brew on wii u

Shane Nolan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wanna set up emulators for nintendo 64 snes and nes games. How do I set up homebrew( not home brew browser) on the wii u and I want to know is :
1.is it safe?
2.is there any way I could permently damage my wii u?
3.how do I do it with the the least chance of damaging my wii u?
4.what is bricking?
5.would I have to cancel automatic updates from nintendo and acces to Eshop to prevent bricking legal woes etc.?
6.Also would a software chip from the normal wii containing wii isos require hombrew to work? Would that be safe?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you wanna know about the vWii. Easy enough
1) Yes, as long as you don't do anything stupid with custom IOSes.
2) Only the vWii, it's completely sandboxed, if you bricked it then the normal Wii U mode would work fine, though any updates would fail.
3) Just run Smash Stack and install the homebrew channel
4) Basically the vWii will refuse to load correctly, either it'll black screen or it won't even load at all. It's unusable, useless, just like an actual "brick".
5) It has nothing to do with eShop/legal stuff. Yes your warranty is void should you ever need to send it in but other then that, no.
6) No. "Software chip" == modchip, of which there are none of for the Wii U, and it has nothing to do with ISO loading or homebrew anyways. Once you run Smash Stack and get the channel installed you can run any homebrew just like on the Wii (to an extent, like I said, anything that modifies the system is not a good idea, like installing cIOSes to run backups with USB loaders and such, it's possible but if you mess up you're in trouble)

FIRST THING I WOULD DO: http://gbatemp.net/threads/dump-mii-nand-a-bootmii-format-nand-bin-nand-dumper-for-vwii-wii.358977/ Back up your NAND so if you need to restore an IOS you have the files on hand.

EDIT: I'll let someone else explain about vWii specific homebrew, I'm not too sure of it myself.

Reactions: vassildador

Shane Nolan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
7.So if I run smash stack and install hombrew channel and there should be no trouble with it at all?
8.Also could I run wii/GameCube Isos on it as well(is there an emulator I need to download for either or can I just use isos for both on an sd card

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
7) Nope, shouldn't have any problems, other then getting the actual Smash Stack to run (have to play around with it a bit like deleting the custom stages beforehand and such)
8) For Gamecube, I'd recommend Nintendont. You don't need to modify anything to run it, either. For Wii Backups, you'd have to install cIOSes (249 and 250) like on a normal Wii, you can find more info https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/ and https://gbatemp.net/threads/basic-dos-and-do-nots-of-vwii-modding.339337/
Once the cIOSes are installed then it's just a matter of running a USB loader or whatever you prefer (I've always used Neogamma).

Reactions: vassildador

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
As NWPlayer said. Just make sure you read up properly and make sure you're using a vwii cIOS and not one for a normal wii, it could brick your vWii.

Again, just read up and make sure you fully understand all of the procedures. It isn't very hard to do and it doesn't take a technical expert, it just needs to be done in a proper sequence to be done without problem.

Shane Nolan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
9.so once the homeboys is set up and the wii emulator properly would this affect the wii u in any negative way asides from voiding warrenty as Ive read people having there memory reduced from 32gb to 512 mb. I already have some add content on wii that was bought from eshop would that be affected at all again if done correctly just want to clarify

MysticX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi, I asked in another thread which didn´t get any replies, but I am runnin 5.3.2.E and I have Lego Indiana Jones, and don´t know what to do first since I don´t wanna ruin anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1