Hacking Setting up Gateway

Genshrooms

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 3DS on version 4.4 and just got my Gateway 3DS card.
I have microSD cards (one 2GB and one 32 GB)

So what am I supposed to do now to set everything up?
What do I have to do to start playing 3DS ROMs?
What about updating to the latest version of Gateway (version 2.3b)?
And what do I have to do to update my emuNAND?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1- Put the contents of the 'Blue Card (R4i)' folder in a SD card and insert it into your blue cart. Use it to install the exploit.
2- Put Launcher.dat from the 'GW_OMEGA_2.3_BETA' in your 3DS's big SD card.

3- Go to System Settings > Other Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile
Now you can make a backup of your SYSNAND (and copy it to your PC) and/or create your EMUNAND.
You could also just create your EMUNAND and extract it using the EMUNAND Tool. Remember it's going to format your SD card, so copy your save files to a safe place first.
Take a look HERE for some info on how to deal with your EMUNAND.

4- Format a microSD card to exFAT and put your 3DS ROMs there. Insert it in your red cart and insert the red cart in your 3DS.

When in Gateway mode/EMUNAND, push SELECT to view your games.

Genshrooms

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So should I format the microSD card (for the Blue cart) and the SD card for the 3DS to FAT32 before putting the exploit files on them (launcher and Blue Card R4i)?
Would formatting my 32 GB microSD card (for the Red Cart) to FAT32 work as well? Or will it only work if I format to exFAT? Is there a difference if I use one or the other?

If I download the "Beta Firmware GW 2.3b *OMEGA* Mirror 2" from the gateway-3ds website, and use that for installing the exploit (Blue Card and launcher), would that update the cart and let me use all the newest features of 2.3 (have multirom support, emuNAND, etc.)?

Also, is there any specific thing/process I need to do before putting 3DS ROMs onto the microSD?
For example, would I need to use Win32 Disk Imager Program to get the ROM on the microSD card? Or do I just have to download the ROM, then extract that to the root of the microSD card?

In the "GW_OMEGA_2.3_BETA", there is "quick_guide_GW_omega.pdf".
Where is says, writing BK's, what is this mean?
From what I can understand from this is:
- if the microSD card (for the Red Cart/3DS ROMs) is formatted to FAT32, then you can add any ROM that is between 0.1 GB - 2 GB
- but if the ROM is larger than 2 GB, then you must trim the ROM using the GW_ROM_Splitter_Tool first (trim it so each part is under 2GB)
- if the microSD card is formatted to exFAT, then you can add any ROM that is between 0.1 GB - 4 GB

Is this right? What if the mSD card is formatted to exFAT and the ROM is larger than 4 GB?
Does the format depend on what kind of mSD card it is? Or is it choice?

In this case, my microSD card is a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Plus. What would I format to?

Now you can make a backup of your SYSNAND (and copy it to your PC) and/or create your EMUNAND.
So this SYSNAND is just like the version that the 3DS is currently on right? So in this case, my 3DS's SYSNAND is version 4.4?
So, I should create a backup of this SYSNAND? How would I do this?

Genshrooms

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TLDR:
I should format the SD cards to:
MicroSD for Blue Cart = FAT32
MicroSD for Red = exFAT
SD card = FAT32
Is this right?

To update the gateway cart to get all newest features of 2.3, I just have to download the 2.3 BETA package and use the files in there for exploit? Right?

On the quick_guide_GW_omega.pdf for writing BK's, does it mean:
- microSD cards formatted to exFAT, you can add any ROM between 0.1 GB - 4 GB
- microSD cards formatted to FAT32, you can add any ROM between 0.1 GB - 2 GB
- if ROM is larger than max, then split it using the splitter tool
Is that what it meant?

Is SysNAND just the version the 3DS in on (v 4.1-4.5), right? How would I create a backup of this (for my PC)?

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why you making this overly complicated? There's so many threads answering your questions. There was even a thread a day or so ago with video links to youtube so you could watch the video and copy exactly what it does in the video. Go to youtube and type in gateway 3ds setup and do what it does in the video It's really that simple.

system nand between 4.1-4.5 (which you have)
install exploit
back up system nand to pc
format emunand
download roms
play games
enjoy.

Yas187

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my 3DS. Recently I upgraded to Gateway 2.3b from 2.1 and once that was successfull I upgraded the emuNAND to 8.x. After this firmware update now I cant boot up the blue R4 card, I get "can't open _ds_menu.dat gateway".
I cant even try to boot up up the Red GW card because when I go into system and try to launch the Launcher via DS Profile it doesnt boot Gateway at all, it just proceeds to the DS Profile page.
I can confirm that I have not updated the systemNAND as it is still sitting on 4.5. Has anyone experienced this problem before? If so how can I fix please?

best regards,
Yas

Genshrooms

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, finished setting up the main part. I have a backup up my SysNAND
Able to play ROMs on the red cart that are under firmare 4.5.

So when I format my SD card for emuNAND, then update that emuNAND. After that, I can just copy the files back on to the SD card, right?

Also, I heard there was some problem/issue when updating emuNAND to the latest firmware (8.x)? Is it solved?
So if I go to update my emuNAND to 8.x, everything will still work fine?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?