GCN Seriously frustrated with Dolphin...

LoganK93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have this computer hooked up to my HD tv in my living room. It's a slightly older hand me down computer that had some decent graphics capabilities, and before anyone starts asking about all the specs let me explain my issue:

I had run the older versions of Dolphin on the computer before. Then once upon a time I had altered my graphics settings and after that, it would crash every time I clicked on the "Graphics" button at the top. I hadn't used the computer for a while, and the new 4.0 update of Dolphin came out. Knowing that I used to be able to run the emulator well on my computer in the past (aside from the graphics button crashing it if I changed a certain setting) I immediately installed it. And wouldn't you know? I click to edit graphics: BOOM, instant crash. I try to load an ISO: BOOM, instant crash. No error to report in the files, it just, crashes. I have googled and googled and so far have found nothing and was hoping someone could help me here. Also from what I remember, when I had caused the issue with the old Dolphin it was by changing the graphics backend to an improper setting, and usually just deleting the folder and redownloading would fix it, but that doesn't seem to work with 4.0...

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Okay, so I have this computer hooked up to my HD tv in my living room. It's a slightly older hand me down computer that had some decent graphics capabilities, and before anyone starts asking about all the specs let me explain my issue:

I had run the older versions of Dolphin on the computer before. Then once upon a time I had altered my graphics settings and after that, it would crash every time I clicked on the "Graphics" button at the top. I hadn't used the computer for a while, and the new 4.0 update of Dolphin came out. Knowing that I used to be able to run the emulator well on my computer in the past (aside from the graphics button crashing it if I changed a certain setting) I immediately installed it. And wouldn't you know? I click to edit graphics: BOOM, instant crash. I try to load an ISO: BOOM, instant crash. No error to report in the files, it just, crashes. I have googled and googled and so far have found nothing and was hoping someone could help me here. Also from what I remember, when I had caused the issue with the old Dolphin it was by changing the graphics backend to an improper setting, and usually just deleting the folder and redownloading would fix it, but that doesn't seem to work with 4.0...

4.0 uses an installer, so deleting the folder won't work.
Also, just change that graphics setting back. Do you really need it?

LoganK93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't change it back. If I even click on the graphics settings button the entire thing crashes before even the graphics box shows up. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I am just frustrated because as I said, I had the old version working fine, didn't use the computer for a while, installed 4.0, and now this. The only "error" it seems to spit out is that it can't locate "wii/title/blablabla" which is just the tmd for the wii system menu, which is not even needed for the setting I am trying to change.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I can't change it back. If I even click on the graphics settings button the entire thing crashes before even the graphics box shows up. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I am just frustrated because as I said, I had the old version working fine, didn't use the computer for a while, installed 4.0, and now this. The only "error" it seems to spit out is that it can't locate "wii/title/blablabla" which is just the tmd for the wii system menu, which is not even needed for the setting I am trying to change.

Srry, thought you're talking about your GPU settings.
Anyway, go to My Documents and delete "Dolphin Emulator".

Tried uninstalling it from the Programs And Features menu?
That won't clear the settings.

LoganK93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already deleted from the documents folder. And un-installed and re-installed it, and I am stumped. It simply refuses to open the graphics setting dialog or run any iso's now. All other settings can be edited normally, and I tried looking to see if maybe there was a cfg file for the graphics I could manually edit outside the program but didn't find anything useful. :/

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I already deleted from the documents folder. And un-installed and re-installed it, and I am stumped. It simply refuses to open the graphics setting dialog or run any iso's now. All other settings can be edited normally, and I tried looking to see if maybe there was a cfg file for the graphics I could manually edit outside the program but didn't find anything useful. :/
That file should be in Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Config

LoganK93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh it's in there, but there seems to be nothing to change that will help in it. I even copied the entirety of the Dolphin Emulator files that I had tested on my laptop (which for whatever reason works fine?) onto the PC and it still didn't work. Only difference is the pc is using an nvidia graphics card while the laptop has amd, although since I had used the emulator on the pc with no problems in the past I don't see why that would suddenly be an issue.

LoganK93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All up to date already. As I said its a real puzzler.

Edit: Redownloaded 3.5 to see if it still works. It will, but if I open the graphics settings and choosed directx11 instead of dx9, it will crash and will no longer allow me to open the graphics tab. Does 4.0 default to dx11?

Edit2: Well I managed to finally see where it was changing the backend in the ini file, and changed it manually to dx9. Seems to work now

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
All up to date already. As I said its a real puzzler.

Edit: Redownloaded 3.5 to see if it still works. It will, but if I open the graphics settings and choosed directx11 instead of dx9, it will crash and will no longer allow me to open the graphics tab. Does 4.0 default to dx11?

Edit2: Well I managed to finally see where it was changing the backend in the ini file, and changed it manually to dx9. Seems to work now

You might want to check your dx11.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse